:( depressing!

Options
2»

Replies

• jenichenny
    jenichenny Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been taking photos and measurements,
    so far I've lost an inch off my tummy and 2 inches off my thighs..
    and thats it! D:

I've been taking photos too, only see a tiny difference.
    I have got a long way to go, hopefully after another 20 pounds I'll start to shrink a bit :)

It's actually a good thing to go slow. I've been told the slower you lose the better chance of not having loose skin. So what your doing is perfect. Sometimes we can't see the difference in ourselves.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to how your clothes fit. At 18 pounds down you should notice them getting looser.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    That is a massive amount of weight in that time.

How about instead of looking for disappointment you be proud of what you've achieved? It's not going to ha
    Pen overnight.
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i have the exact same problem!! its so annoying im down 20lbs now and cant see any difference at all! only consilation is that i can feel myself becoming a lot fitter and really starting to enjoy my excercise routine! i have about 60lbs to lose so im hoping i will see a difference soon.....enjoy becoming fitter and be proud of what you've achieved, hopefully the rest will come soon for us :happy:
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 18 pounds! I'd like to add that you may want to congratulate yourself for doing the healthy thing for your body. I get that you want to look smaller, we all do. But your health is improving with every pound you lose, and every bit of activity you do. That is great!

You will walk by the mirror one day soon and have to do a double-take because you will suddenly see a smaller you!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Its been around 6 weeks I've been on here, lost 18 pounds, but cant see a difference in my body shape atall!
    It's getting me down.. I dont know why this is!

I'm guessing it's because you're a woman... ;o)

menvswomen1.jpg

All kidding aside, since it is difficult to change our own perceptions of how we look, seek out some objective measurements (body measurements, perhaps?) that you can use rather than relying solely on your subjective perception of how you look.

^^this^^ LOL!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Sorry, am just replying w/out reading all the responses, but just wanted to let you know that it took me 20 lbs before I noticed ANY difference, and that was going from 165 to 145 at 5'6". You probably haven't taken body measurements -- what about doing that now, for the next time you don't see the progress the scale is showing you? Or for when the scale DOESN'T move, but you're still shrinking?
    Even now, I still have plenty of moments where I don't see a difference from 20 lbs ago -- then I go put on my skinny jeans to remind me. Hang in there; the way we perceive ourselves can be really distorted. Congrats on the 18 lbs!!!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    i'm here with ya!

second time around doing jillian... gained weight and inches the last time.

it's frustrating to work so hard and not "see" any progress. i am very active and i eat healthy. i thought JM could help punch my metabolism back into gear. i hike/bike/power walk on top of doing the shred every stinking day.

i started mfp last august. by the end of october, i had lost 14 lbs. being a crappy winter person, my exercise outside wasn't as frequent as it had been during the summer/fall months. i put back on 7 of the 14 lost. my food intake stayed the same. i kept myself active indoors or would bundle up to get a great power walk or bike ride in. i was trying hard, still pushing myself.

i am stalled at 10 lbs. lost now... been this way for months.... i know how you feel about being frustrated. i wish i could understand what i'm doing wrong because i want to see something, anything!

......but.... all i can do is keep going. if i stop, if i slack off, give in to temptation or laziness.... well, then i'm throwing away all of my hard work. i changed my lifestyle and outlook on health almost a year ago. i feel stronger in my body and more sound in my mind. for these reasons alone, there is no going back. now if i could just get that stupid scale to see it my way.....

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • phillyfoodie
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I'm just at ONE pound! Started on here just 3 days ago. Right now, I'd kill to be 18 lbs. down! So be proud of your accomplishment, and keep it going.

It's trite, but as they say, it didn't come on overnight, and it's not going to come off overnight. We gain and gain gradually, and then there's that one day where we notice things don't fit anymore. It's the same with weight loss. You don't notice it for a while, and then, one day, you notice everything's loose on you. It feels as if the change happened overnight, but it takes time either way.

I always wonder it is that we don't seem to notice the weight coming on as we get 10, 20, 30 or more pounds over goal, yet when we want to get it off, we're watching like a hawk; I guess it's human nature.

If you're still depressed, go to the supermarket and try lifting 18 lbs. of bagged raw potatoes, and realize that because of your commitment, you're no longer carrying that around on your body. Hopefully, it'll bring a smile to your face. :)
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    18 pounds, are you kidding me?:):) I wish I'd lost that much! agree with all commens above, keep going, don't ive up, giving up is the easiest thing to do. Take measurements, it may be your individual body structure, bones, genes, etc. in general but I am absolutely sure if you take photos and post them here, everyone is going to notice the difference. Keep going!!!
  • wowLisawow
    Options
    I have had this problem too. I never saw myself as fat and was always surprised when I had to buy such large clothes and when my clothes got too small! Now I feel I look exactly the same but I am wearing a much smaller size after losing 25 pounds. Wish I could just see myself as I am. It would make life so much simpler.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 18 pounds. That is nothing to be depressed about.

You might want to look into strength training ( weight lifting ) if you are looking to change your body composition. By doing a cardio based exercise regimen you will lose weight, but you body composition may not change much.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't always telling the true picture..meaurements need to be checked monthly....but if you think you are losing lean muscle mass it wont show as well on an 18 pound loss..it needs to pull of that fat storage....make sure you are not on a starvation type calorie mode..1200..etc...that's just barely enough to run your organs properly...if you add exerise in the mix...well..could be trouble! Sorry if you are not in that catagory..but many eat too little and it comes back to bite em in the *kitten*(yes..me included!!!)

Start lifting weights...and not barbie ones either ;) Cardio is fantastic for your health...but it will NOT shape your body the way you want..
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That's great progress. Just keep at it! Take progress pics.

As for advice, pumping iron is never a bad idea....
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Right off the bat, congratulations for losing those 18 pounds! That means you stuck with it so far, and further loss will happen too, especially if you switch something around, your macros, change your workouts, etc.For some people it does take some fine-tuning to get to the eating style that works for them. As in, eating back exercise calories, eating part of them back, higher protein-lower carb, etc. What counts is what works on YOUR body, along with improving keeping your health and fitness.
    Yes, there is a lag time in how one sees oneself too. I had a friend who was married, and she lost 30 pounds down to a beautiful svelte shape that anyone would kill for, seriously. But since she still saw herself as 30 pounds heavier, she was just wearing old baggy clothes(often one of her husband's sweatshirts)and jeans that were too big for her, such that no one could see her truly beautiful new shape(she was picking up on exercise classes once again too).
    In general though, the more one has to lose, the more one has to lose to see that real difference(as in a pants size smaller, etc.). For some people it takes losing 20-30 pounds for that to happen, and with people with less to lose, fewer pounds. As you drop weight, I'll bet anything you will notice changes with less of a drop in weight. I agree with others too - take measurements once every 2 weeks or once a month(actually the latter is better IMO, to give one more time, and also not to discourage if progress is not there just yet).
    Keep on the track - you'll get there! Best of luck!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've also lost 18 pounds and can't see the difference... except on a rare day when I'm in a really good mood. I can't believe I am going to post these disgusting, embarrassing pictures, but here goes....

28lw84w.jpg

2eb632h.jpg
  • luvs2teachincali
    Options
    Oops, I don't know why they're so big and I don't know why the second one is cut off. Sorry. :(
  • Danikc
    Danikc Posts: 6
    Options
    I've started looking more into strength training...a lot of people say that strength training is super important for losing weight. So maybe try to add in some strength...help change the shape of your body and tighten everything up

I absolutely agree, strength training is key to have a tight body. I also agree with pictures and measurements. A lot of times your measurements get smaller but your weight doesn't, or vice versa
  • luvs2teachincali
    Options
    Here's the second try at the second one. They don't look big on my screen at all, don't know how to fix that....?

2eb632h.jpg
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can see that love handles around your tummy are smaller now!!:)