Personal trainer here to say hi and help you

Options

Replies

• blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I have a question, Brian.
    When I go to the gym to meet my trainer, I walk through the doors and there she is, waiting for me, with this evil smile on her face. I know she is thinking, "Oh good, the weakling is here, I am going to enjoy this." Then she tortures me for an hour. I'm sure she's laughing away when I leave, knowing that I will have to steer the car home with my teeth because my arms are no longer of any use.
    Question: Do they teach a class on sadism for trainers while you are getting certified? and; Who do I talk to about changing that part of the cirriculum?
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome and Thanks 4 wanting to help people! That is great! I may have a ? for you.
    Thanks again for offering your wisdom:-)
  • fattofit20
    fattofit20 Posts: 86
    Options
    Welcome! I also have a question. I am a petite (5 ft. 1 inch) 51 year old female. I sit at a desk every day for work only occassionally getting up to do mundane tasks. However, when I get off work I am no where near a sedentary person. I try to exercise a minimum of 5 days per week. Mostly doing brisk walking and using a toning band. I alternate walking and using light (5 lb) hand weights to do a slight bit of strength training or whatever you prefer to call that. I try not to use the word "toning" on the message boards because people get in a tizzy about it. My question is, should I place my settings on sedentary, lightly active or moderately active? Also, I don't have much weight to lose. I'm began prior to MFP at 136 pounds. I would like to get to 115 and am currently at 128.8 pounds. Mostly belly fat. Other than cardio I'm not quite sure what I should be doing.
  • brianj1988
    brianj1988 Posts: 48
    Options
    Questions keep on rolling in. My inbox is FILLING UP. I'm answering them all for you tonight. If you asked here, copy and paste it in the form of a message to me. I'll help you out as much as possible.

ALL OF YOU ARE ON THIS SITE FOR A REASON. IT'S TO LOOK BETTER AND FEEL BETTER IN THE PROCESS, MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY. THAT'S MY JOB; TO HELP MAKE THAT HAPPEN!!!
  • brianj1988
    Options
    Well said, my friend.
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a question, Brian....
    Question: Do they teach a class on sadism for trainers while you are getting certified? and; Who do I talk to about changing that part of the cirriculum?

Excellent question. I've often wondered this myself. Brian? ;)
  • Xamybrynx
    Xamybrynx Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi I'm newish to this site I have about 16lbs left to lose I'm eating healthy and been trying to get into running but I am finding it tough to get past 5k i really want to tone my lower body any tips on running would be gr8 I soooooo want to get to 10k,thanks in advance xcx
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options

The key to circuit training is to maintain your Target Heart Rate (THR) to burn fat as your energy source. The formula for this is simple and easy to use: (220-age) x 60-80% The lower end of the range is geared more for fat burning; 80% more for cardio fitness. There is a difference and it is based on the type of fuel the body needs during a particular exercise.

If calorie burn is the same... comparing a higher HR and a lower one, at the end of the day they both oxidize the same amount of fat. For example, you do a long steady cardio session that burns 400 calories, someone else does a HITT session that burns 400 calories.

When you do the steady distance most of your energy is burned from fat, that's true. Once you stop the exercise then the fat oxidation stops during exercise. If you do a HIIT burn 400 calories you burn mostly glycogen and/or ATP you burn very little fat, but after the workout is when you start to get energy from the fat stores. But guess what? In a 24hr period of time, they both burn the same amount of fat.

SO HIIT or low intensity makes no difference if calorie burn is the same. There are issues with HIIT, such as possibility of over training, makes you hungrier after your workout or next day, shouldn't be done every day. Low intensity exercise doesn't really have those issues.

Want a like button, I found this statement really interesting :)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump and welcome :smile:
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    Hi! and welcome! I went from 220 pounds down to 183 pounds currently. working off to lose my last 58 pounds. I defintely would like to add you to my friends. the biggest thing is still working on my eating. I need to eat healthier food choices in my eating. and some work out suggestions will be great. my biggest trouble spot seems to be my thighs that is where I carry most of my weight. along with my butt so any suggestions there as well as water intake would be appreciated. is the drink your ounce of body weight accurate or would that do more harm then good?
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks, :) BUMP for questions later
  • brianj1988
    Options
    Message me if you all have any more questions.
  • brianj1988
    Options
    As you may have seen, one of my client has lost 40 lbs. in 8 weeks! She will be at 50 on this pace in a week or two.

This could be you! Message me if you need anything and send me a friend request.
  • Candydixon
    Candydixon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Candy. Thanks so much for extending your help. I am new to this site and I am keeping up with the logins and calorie intake. I walk mainly 3-4 days a week for 30-45 min but my calories are going no where! ANY HELPFUL HINTS? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    As you may have seen, one of my client has lost 40 lbs. in 8 weeks! She will be at 50 on this pace in a week or two.

This could be you! Message me if you need anything and send me a friend request.

OMG that's incredible .... how?
  • brianj1988
    Options
    A lot of hard work and she followed the diet plan I gave her. 70% of a fitness regimen has to do with your diet and the other 30 is what you do in the gym or how you exercise. She is a success story because she put in the hours with me and was extremely disciplined with what she ate.
  • jennyhynes
    Options
    Hi Brian, my name is Jennifer and I just finished three years of college, nursing degree. So with every year the frosh 15 turned into the frosh 30. Im 46 so my metabolism isnt at its greatest either. Ive been it seems on every diet since I was a kid. My entire family is big, Im the smallest at 223 lbs and 5'6". My fat percentage is 48%. Ive been having trouble with blood pressure lately, and diabetes runs in the family (my biggest fear). I find since I started college, drinking wine became the norm and my challenges are carbs and cheese. No wonder, the fat percentage is so high eh? Anyway, still broke from school I was recommended this website from a student doctor. I do enjoy swimming, but with a bad knee from a prior karate injury it seems to be easier on me than even walking. I hope to give this a good shot! I appreciate the support!:flowerforyou:
  • Tishia11
    Tishia11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Brian! I am adding you as a friend! I have plenty of questions. :)
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Swimming is awesome but with arthritis you also would benifit from doing it in warm water check to see if you have a water aerobics class in your area that is sponsored by arthritis foundation. They certify their own instructors and it is an awesome program I have taught this class for many years.
    Hi
    I have a few quick questions for you, I am trying to lose a lot of weight at the moment but finding exercising difficult as even though I am only 30 I have arthritis in both hips (right is worse) knees, shoulders and wrists so although I can exercise for a time it is diffiuclt when I have a real flair up of pain - what activities would you suggest for me to try? I am in the UK by the way. Thanks ever so much for your help.

Swimming!!!!
  • ealsup
    ealsup Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello Brian. I need to loose app. 25#. I have a neck injury that hurts when I exercise w my arms and when I do situps it straains my neck which makes my shoulders hurt. I I have dimples under my arms and really need to work on my yummy. Would water exercising