Do you tell?

Options
Who have you told about your weight loss plan, thoughts, etc?

I havent told anyone exactly what it is Im doing other than my fiance' (Who by the way I have convinced to join MFP and jump the bandwagon of weight loss and getting healthier) YAYAYAYA us huh?

But seriously....have you told all your family and friends or are you waiting for them to just notice how marvelous you're looking? Have you invited friends and family to join you here? Have you told your doctor or medical professional?

My whole journey here started several months ago but quickly faded for reasons unknown other than I just got tired and busy and overwhelmed. THIS time Im cant allow that to happen. Getting sick almost a month ago jump started this whole thing and I realized that I no longer had a choice...........I HAD TO GET SERIOUS and dump some weight. Soooooo here I am....and more determined than ever before. Ive seen and can feel the 20 something Ive lost and it's enough to hold me accountable in a good solid way

Here's to less me....better breathing....easier movement....a new wardrobe....and better health. (hopefully I'll be able to stop using insulin and go straight to oral meds.)

Replies

• Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Besides my wife, i've told my parents, and fellow students at my TKD school. Don't know if my co-workers are hip to me eating sensible, or if they see a difference in my appearance already.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I told my partner, and my mum but after about 20 minutes my dad called and said he joined the day before! (he yells at me when I have pizza ha ha) I live really far from home and see them a few times a year so I decided not to wait, I wanted some support and motivation and got both =) Don't wait for people to notice, let them know!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I've told a lot of people about it. In a way it helps keep me on track. After talking about how much using this site has helped me, there are a few of my coworkers and one of my sisters who all joined it. Since we are doing it together we help each other out.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have not told anyone, as I don't want to look like a failure if I don't succeed. I would be embarassed if I didn't finish it.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    My co workers knew because as a group we decided to get on the "Let's lose weight" bandwagon. But other than that I didn't really tell anyone until it was becoming noticeable. Now I really can't hide it. It can be seen and I tell anyone and everyone about it! Good luck on your goals and you can do it!!
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    i told everyone as soon as i started, it helps with feeling guilty if you don't do something. if everyone knows you can't escape it wherever you go, at home i wake up and get asked "what are you doing today" then after i excercise i go to work and hear "what did you do today". if i go to hang out with friends they ask how i'm doing with the excercise....there is really nowhere that i can go that i'm not going to feel bad if i have to say "nothing, i did nothing today" because the topic comes up multiple times a day, which was part of my purpose in telling everyone :wink:
  • brickhouse76
    brickhouse76 Posts: 146
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone because I was afraid of failing. Eventually, I had to tell family and friends, because you couldn't help but to notice the weight dropping.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    My mother knows. I've also mentioned it to a doctor and a health coach. And a co-worker who's doing Weight Watchers.
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tell pretty much anyone who will listen. I've lost almost 45lbs now and am in the best shape of my life (I have abs now). Sometimes people show concern but I'm still within my bmi, and my body fat is in a safe range. Anyone in my life who wants to criticize can just back the heck off. They must be jealous or something.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone apart from my husband, I just got on and did it. I didn't keep it a secret though, people do start to notice when you say no to junk food and start to look thinner, then the questions come in and I don't lie to people or anything. I just didn't make any big announcements. In my experience big announcements tend to attract the wrong kind of attention. Even being noticably successful (like when you say no to junk and people see you're getting thinner) attracts unwanted attention, but that's kind of inevitable. Stand your ground and after a while people can see that you're serious about it and it's not a fad that you'll forget about in a few days.

There are advantages in having accountability, i.e. knowing that everyone might see you fail can spur you on to stick with it long term, but you can get that kind of accountability with other people who share your goals like on MFP and other fitness forums, rather than among your friends or colleagues who are not on your wavelength and often are nowhere near as supportive as you'd like to think they'd be.
  • brickhouse76
    brickhouse76 Posts: 146
    Options
    My co workers knew because as a group we decided to get on the "Let's lose weight" bandwagon. But other than that I didn't really tell anyone until it was becoming noticeable. Now I really can't hide it. It can be seen and I tell anyone and everyone about it! Good luck on your goals and you can do it!!
    [/quote you look fabulous!
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have not told anyone, as I don't want to look like a failure if I don't succeed. I would be embarassed if I didn't finish it.

Set-backs...they're called set-backs. It is only failure if you stop trying. Even if you are trying over and over. You've got this, I'm sure! Best wishes! :smile:
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    I never really think about who to tell that i am trying to get healthy. I started working out, after a while people started to notice i was losing weight. If they ask, i talk about it, if not i just keep doing what i am doing. I dont particularly care who knows. I just do me :-)
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I told everyone, and still tell everyone! I tell everyone when I've had a "bad" eating day, I tell them about my triumphs. I've got no secrets when it comes to my weight loss. If my story helps even one person make the decision to improve their life and health, then it's worth it to me to have my story "out on the street"!!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    My boyfriend, brother, mother and one or two close friends. Otherwise i tell no one. If folks notice I'll concede im trying to lose weight otherwise it's not really any of their concern and seeing as I do not need anyone's two cents. I don't give the an opportunity to share them.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My doctor .. and children ...they told me about MFP ...:wink:
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    If it seems contextually appropriate (e.g., declining an offer for dessert), i mention that I'm trying to lose weight.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I tell pretty much anyone who will listen. I've lost almost 45lbs now and am in the best shape of my life (I have abs now). Sometimes people show concern but I'm still within my bmi, and my body fat is in a safe range. Anyone in my life who wants to criticize can just back the heck off. They must be jealous or something.

I've been told that I'm getting too skinny. I figure, for me, it's because they saw me at 300 pounds and I have lost over half of that. I remind them that I am still in the "overweight" category of the BMI (although I don't put too much stock into it), and still want to lose about 5 more pounds.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    My family and some friends know I am doing Insanity right now but no one really knows about my longterm fitness goals.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    it was just my sister and boyfriend until a co-worker and I got talking about it.

On Monday my Dad had a go at me at dinner saying how can I justify eating if I don't work it off and I turned round saying that I'd been going to a gym for three months, lost a stone and had plenty of calories left for the day so it wouldn't matter. Now the whole family knows ^^'