To all you big losers, how long before...

Options
How long was it before you started to notice a difference in your bodies?

This was my first week on MFP. I started out at 310 and in week 1 I lost about 8 lbs. That's a great number, but I don't feel or look any different. Not that I expected to, but I was just curious: For those like me who started out with a lot to lose, how long before your clothes started fitting different, people started noticing, etc.

Just curious. Also, if any of you are willing, I'm always looking for a larger support group so if any of you are willing to add me as a friend, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• taralc1
    taralc1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    For me it took about 20 pounds before I could "see it" but about 10-15 before I could feel the difference in the clothes. Each person is different. Good luck with your journey and congrats on the 8lbs!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you'll definetly see a big loss on the scale the first few weeks of being active, eating less/right, and drinking more water. this loss is big and will last a long time, especially if you are significatly overweight, and have more to lose.

at 310lbs, and dropping to 302, you might not really see the loss. however, i suggest taking a weekly progress picture to start comparing.

i started trying to lose weight when i was about 260lbs. but i didn't really notice anything until i got to about 235.
  • amwood83
    amwood83 Posts: 16
    Options
    I started consciously losing weight in May, and I started at 294. I've lost 22 lbs, and I am still wearing the same clothes, they're just looser in certain areas. But around the waist they are the same, and I've had no need to go down a size. Congratulations!! 8lbs!! Stay encouraged, and stay patient. PS--I've noticed when I go easy on the carbs and sugary drinks, my pants get WAY looser in the waist.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I think I noticed I felt better as did my clothes at about 25 pounds and people started noticing after 40. Welcome to MFP! I'd be happy to add you.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Eight pounds in one week is great going! In you should start noticing a difference in a week or so. Moving round will be easier and you feel more energetic Give it time:)
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was walking down the hallway carrying a washing basket when my jeans fell off. I had lost 6kg at that stage. I didn't really think that I looked any different. Except I had no pants on. So I guess for me, I noticed when my pants fell off.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    So I started around 240lbs (before finding MFP) and it took around 25 lbs. before people started noticing..... I'm tall (5'11")...I'm sure it would have been more noticable early on if I was a shorter girl. I'm down to 183 now with 33lbs. more to go :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on 3/12/12. I have a lot to lose. I have lost 71# as of last weigh in on 7/23/12. People first started noticing at about 40# lost. I have only purchased a couple of inexpensive lightweight pairs of capris so far(2 sizes smaller but big on me now with elastic waists), but I am still wearing all of my original pants with a belt (on the last notch now). I can actually take them off without unzipping them now, but I am not buying anymore until I absolutely have to.
    I have too much more to lose and don't want to invest. until I get closer to goal.
    Good luck to you!
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started at 198 and started noticing changes around 185. It's weird though, not that I'm 134, my mental image still has me much bigger. Every time I look in the mirror or see a current photo of me, I'm surprised that's me. I keep thinking I'm bigger!

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    HI there! I have to admit it took about 15-20 pounds for me to "feel" it. I started at a heavier weight than yourself too though. I've lost almost 4 sizes but it's taken 70 pounds to do that. It's hard to "see" it sometimes because you see yourself every day but you'll start noticing small things like seeing your belly button if you couldn't see it before, seeing your toes without bending forward, and of course clothes becoming looser.

Others will start noticing too and that's always a bonus!

Take your measurements and like a previous poster said, take pictures. I didin't do either of those until 2 months into this and I regret it. Add me if you like, I'm always up for new friends! :)

Good luck!
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was walking down the hallway carrying a washing basket when my jeans fell off. I had lost 6kg at that stage. I didn't really think that I looked any different. Except I had no pants on. So I guess for me, I noticed when my pants fell off.

LOL :laugh:
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started with a lot to lose as well. For me, I first saw a difference in my progress pictures around 15lbs, but only now at 23lbs lost are my clothes starting to feel a little loose.

I won't be going down a size any time soon, since before my clothes were super tight and barely fitting, and now they're just slightly uncomfortable. :laugh:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You know, I really think it took 20 or 25 pounds for 'others' to notice. I felt it around pound 20, too. :happy:

Wishing you great success in your journey to a healthier you! Just remember to enjoy the ride! :drinker:
  • JWB42
    JWB42 Posts: 112
    Options
    Brent, I felt the same way you did...at first.

I've lost 26 lbs and NO ONE HAS NOTICED. I didn't tell any friends or family that I was changing my lifestyle. That always seemed to backfire when I shouted it from the roof tops. So I just started doing it on my own (of course my husband knew because he had to starting eating healthier too) anyways, I did feel 'lighter' this week and my clothes are fitting better and not so tight.

I have noticed increased energy. Am I going to run a marathon next week? Hell no, but I walk outside or get on the treadmill almost every day.

So, keep up the good work! The best part of this whole thing is doing it to be healthy! Congrats on your 8 lbs loss!:bigsmile:
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    it took me about 25-30 lbs to see a difference and feel it in my clothes. then every 20 lbs or so i dropped a size. now that i am much smaller, 5 lbs makes a huge difference in how i look and how my clothes fit and the sizes are dropping with less weight.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would call me a "big loser" as I only have lost 50 lbs, but I didn't notice the change hardly at all until I started doing physical exercise, like Karate and all, then it really showed!
    Don't do what I didn't do: Take pictures of yourself (I thought that was vain and crazy, why would I want pics of myself being so overweight, now I know why!) so that you can see your progress. Take measurements (and there are places to tell you where and how to take those measurements) and keep a log of those measurements from week to week. Don't only use a scale, I got to the point where I was building muscle and losing fat, but the scale wasn't moving (and I am at 19.5 body fat percentage now, down from 32.3 when I started)..... Don't Use The Scale As Your Only Means Of Progress!!
    Good luck!
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I'm not a big loser yet, but I started pretty much at your weight and i'm about 2 months into it. In that time I have gone down 3 pants sizes, 2 shirt sizes and 4 holes in my belt. I work out very hard and mix up a lot of cardio, martial arts and lifting weights and focus a lot on core work. I'm pretty sure that is why my inches lost has far outpaced my weight loss so far.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I started out with about 80 lbs to lose and it took me about 25 lbs before I really started to see and feel a difference.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My start weight was a little higher than yours.....I noticed after about 30 pounds or so. But it's a constant mind game. Comparison pics, loose clothes, and hi-fives from MFPers & real life friends have helped keep me in check. You probably didn't notice every pound going on, I suppose it's the same coming off. Good luck! And great job on a good start!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    For me it took me about 10lbs to notice my jeans getting not so tight .15- 20lbs people would say "oohhh something about you is different.. but I dont know what it is" after 20lbs people would say I look like I lost weight!! so I would say 20+ is when I really started to notice. Great job on the loss and good luck!! :)