soy milk VS almond milk VS coconut milk

Options
Which is better for you? I would be using it mostly in my morning cereal

Replies

• cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've tried almond milk and coconut milk and prefer the coconut. I avoid soy milk because of some things I've read about the potential negative effects of soy.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    All of them are fairly processed. If you do soy I would make sure it's organic, but really I would avoid it. There's nothing wrong with soy (despite what the fear mongerers might say), but it's best eaten in a minimally processed way. So to me, soy milk is a very, very occasional thing. As for almond milk - you can make it at home, which means you know exactly what's in it, but it can get pricey. I would compare the ingredients in the coconut and almond and see which looks better to you.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I heard almond is the best for you. It's very low in fat and calories too. That's the one I drink. What I'm curious about is coconut WATER.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'll be the lone pro-soy voice then!

I like the slightly chalky taste, it has a good amount of protein and calcium with less sugar than dairy milk. I;ve tried almond milk and didnt really care for it.
  • mageets79
    mageets79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what type diet you are doing, high protein, low calorie, or low fat. I know soy milk has protein comparable to cow's milk, almond milk tends to be lower calorie, and coconut milk tends to be higher calorie, higher saturated fat. HTH.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I go based on taste and I like almond milk the best. In fact, I love it and there's so many brands to choose from. Some of the unsweetened almond milk out there is as low as 35 calories per cup!

Soy milk is all right, I grew up around it. Rice milk too. Too bad I heard soy isn't that great for you after all? Even my mom who always bought it for us cut way back.

Coconut milk was mixed in with the last quart of almond milk I bought and it really added a kick to my protein shakes.
  • loandlette1307
    Options
    There is a blend of coconut and almond milk that I'm going to try next week when i do my grocery shopping. The nutrition label seems to have lots of good things! And I already know that taste wise almond milk is better than soy.. I'm assuming that's partly because it has a little more sugar in it. Right now I'm drinking soy milk in my milk replacement shakes (and my cereal), because I was looking for something with a low sugar content because my shake powder already has 6g of sugar in it and most milks have 12g! That's 18g of sugar in one sitting and I'm only allowed 24g for the whole day! So I guess it depends on what ur looking to get out of it. But when I try that almond/coconut blend I'll post on mfp to let everyone know how it tastes! Everyone Feel free to add me! Together we can get healthy one meal at a time!!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There is a blend of coconut and almond milk that I'm going to try next week when i do my grocery shopping. The nutrition label seems to have lots of good things! And I already know that taste wise almond milk is better than soy.. I'm assuming that's partly because it has a little more sugar in it. Right now I'm drinking soy milk in my milk replacement shakes (and my cereal), because I was looking for something with a low sugar content because my shake powder already has 6g of sugar in it and most milks have 12g! That's 18g of sugar in one sitting and I'm only allowed 24g for the whole day! So I guess it depends on what ur looking to get out of it. But when I try that almond/coconut blend I'll post on mfp to let everyone know how it tastes! Everyone Feel free to add me! Together we can get healthy one meal at a time!!

I've had the blend! It's delicious. But if I recall correctly I think it might be sweetened, which I don't usually do. So now, sometimes I mix half unsweetened coconut with half unsweetened almond milk.
  • loandlette1307
    Options
    Oh and as far as coconut water I have a few health addicts as friends and they do not! Recommend drinking it! Acording to them it's not good nutrionally, just a waste of money. Of course I don't have personal experience, this is just what I've heard.
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I use raw pumpkin seed milk. I make it at home in a blender, no straining needed, cheaper, lots of nutrients...
    I sweeten mine with stevia for less calories and sugar. Add some raw cacao and a few ice cubes for a healthy chocolate shake.

Video on how to make:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPZGXA1_7o

Enjoy...
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk i like the taste better.
  • loandlette1307
    Options
    That's a really good idea! But for me I'm the only one in my house that would drink it and isn't it only good for so many days after u open it. I know soy milk is 7-10 days. I would have to drink the homemade blend twice as fast. Because it would be a whole gallon instead of a half gallon. I'm not soo sure i want 2 servings a day instead of one. But then again if it's unsweetened it shouldn't be too much of a problem! Ty!!!!! :D
  • kittyoates
    Options
    I loved drinking coconut water when I lived in Indonesia and you could just drink it straight from the coconut, but here they're a lot more processed and most of the ones I've seen have lots of added sugar, and to top that off they are EXPENSIVE. So now I just skip it and go for natural yogurt. I don't eat cereal a lot but when I do I just mix in some natural yogurt (no sugar added ones) instead of milk.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Flax milk.
    25 calories per cup plus omega 3's.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    If I wasn't allergic to coconut I'd drink coconut milk! It has a lot of great nutritious value, at the moment I drink unsweetened almond milk and really like it. I'll have soy if I go to Starbucks though.

I would try all of them out and see which one you like better taste wise and how your body feels.

Good luck! :)
  • relucas81
    relucas81 Posts: 76
    Options
    cow milk is best
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've tried almond milk and coconut milk and prefer the coconut. I avoid soy milk because of some things I've read about the potential negative effects of soy.

This plus, I'm allergic to soy and almonds so its coconut for me.
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, definitely! I buy the unsweetened vanilla kind and it's 30 calories per cup. Put a little stevia in there and it's delicious!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    1)Coconut milk - high in MCT and tastes yummy.
    2)Almond milk - tastes ok but I already snack on hazelnuts.
    3)Soy milk - tastes like paper soaked overnight in water (disgusting)
  • Tiffpow01
    Tiffpow01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk whole foods brand unsweeted has only 40 calories.