Vowing not to excercise

Options

Replies

• dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    you have convinced yourself to be lazy. congratulations.
    Yeah and that profile pic is you! Easy to knock isn't it?

Thank you much! You've come a long way yourself!! Well done!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    mmm I can't say I agree with this approach... Exercise shapes your body, it improves your cardiovascular system, and revs up your metabolism. Feeling hungry after working out is completely normal, you're suppose to eat! Perhaps the issue is you feel guilty for eating more? But you should be... Yes, nutrition is a huge part of weight loss, but not exercising is totally gonna hinder your results. Exercising helps keep muscle on while losing fat as well. There's just soooo many benefits to it I can't imagine not including it.

If you want to change your body, you gotta push yourself. And if that means working out on top of moving more, then so be it! Change does not happen in the comfort zone hun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoF0wJNGwE
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

OMG ignore stupid people, sounds like Bobby is back

Actually not so stupid. Losing weight is a mentality. If she doesnt want to work for it, and just wants it to happen easily, then yes, she is lazy. She might as well go and get lipo. What is earned through hard work is always more appreciated. Sound like to me she is about to starve herself. You do that enough, then yeah...you will lose weight easily.

Oh, and P.S.- I quit smoking two weeks ago, started working out at about the same time, and have gotten rid of all unhealthy things in my kitchen. I go without a microwave, and thus I am learning to cook. I am learning about my nutrition. I made the choice to go to school full time. I know a thing or two about change.

To me, that This week I am going to......seems just too frivolous to me. too much room for failure. But, that is just my opinion. I guess I am in the minority. But good luck. None of this I mean menacingly.

no it is stupid....she is doing what she feels she needs to do...her biggest mistake it putting it on here to get people's go ahead, she should have just done it. When I started this I did not exercise at all for the first 4 months and I lost about the same amount that I'm losing now. Now I exercise almost everyday and am eating low calories. I'm still losing the same so I could go without exercise if I wanted to I just choose to do it because I enjoy it. Not everyone's way is right or wrong, but it's the way we feel is best for us. She has chosen this way for the time being which makes it right for her.
  • HellySuccess
    HellySuccess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're crazy at all! Do whatever works for you and makes you feel good about yourself, your body and your life. More power to you.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Do what you need to do to curb your appetite at first, and then get exercise back in your routine. You don't want to wind up with the "skinny fat" look.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I highly disagree, you're really not supposed to try to lose weight just by slashing calories (if that's what you're doing)
    there are a TON of alternatives, classes, elliptical (it's better because there's not impact on your knees because your feet never leave the pedals), yoga, walking....you really can't expect to look good when you lose weight if you're not exercising...
    also, your body needs exercise to maintain health!
    Don't think just about becoming skinny or losing weight, it's more of a health thing, when you get in that mind set, it's much easier...even if you just start with walking or a couple of minutes on an elliptical or yoga videos at home or whatever, your body needs activity, simple as that.
    And yes, you will be hungry on days you workout, that's supposed to happen because your body needs more for recovery, pick high protein things, bars, nuts, peanut butter etc...so it fills you up while repairing your muscles.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I can see your reasoning behind this. If you think that this is the best strategy for you, then go for it. They say that it's best to start with small changes. I do believe that slow and steady wins the race in certain situations.

When you feel more comfortable, how about adding a 10 minute walk after dinner every day? Then, increase it from there. I used to workout to strictly to burn calories. Now, I workout because it is good for my overall health. It gets my blood flowing and energizes my brain. I feel so tired and groggy if I don't workout.
  • TBinDC
    TBinDC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My counselor actually advised this method for me because I was overwhelmed with trying to rejigger my diet and start an exercise program. So, like you, I try to do more moving just generally (walk when I might drive, climb stairs when I might ride an elevator etc) and I take swim aerobics, which is fun for me and doesn't feel like work. But my main focus has been my diet.

Altogether it's been less stressful this way and feels like something I can maintain. Once the eating becomes habit, I hope to ramp up the exercise because I want my body to be stronger and fit.

Good luck!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you have a plan that you think will work for you. I made all my changes at once, including making a shift in the way I view food. If you are having a difficult time viewing food as a good thing that fuels your mind, body, and activity and are maintaining a view that food I either good or evil and have a less is more mentality then havin this focus may be just what you need. Also, if someone came to me and said that I'm failing because I'm exercising and then getting too hungry to make wise decisions I would be very suspect that they are truly eating enough and listening to their body's needs for eating an fueling.

Food is not the enemy, it's the source of all you do to function and do amazon things. I joke around that I exercise to eat, but I really eat to exercise.
  • sherri321
    sherri321 Posts: 12
    Options
    You do what works for you. I know a couple of women who have lost a signigicant amount of weight without exercising. They just started making healthier food choices and like you would do things like take the stairs when possible or park farther away at the store, etc. As they lost weight and got more comfortable with the changes they had made they moved on to incorporating some exercise.
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quo
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You have to do what you think will work for you. Don't let anyone else convince you or tell you that you shouldn't do it the best way for YOU.

Personally, I went balls out. 100% change all at once. Once I hit my goal weight, then I started playing around with stuff more. I added foods back in (couldn't live the rest of my life so restricted) and cut way back on the exercise. I've found how far I can push my body (foodwise) and I've come to find out that I don't NEED to exercise all the time in order to maintain my weight. I am active at work and moving around a lot at home.

A lot of people recommend changing one thing at a time - for me, I couldn't do that. I needed to change it all NOW.
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    I completely agree with this
    mmm I can't say I agree with this approach... Exercise shapes your body, it improves your cardiovascular system, and revs up your metabolism. Feeling hungry after working out is completely normal, you're suppose to eat! Perhaps the issue is you feel guilty for eating more? But you should be... Yes, nutrition is a huge part of weight loss, but not exercising is totally gonna hinder your results. Exercising helps keep muscle on while losing fat as well. There's just soooo many benefits to it I can't imagine not including it.

If you want to change your body, you gotta push yourself. And if that means working out on top of moving more, then so be it! Change does not happen in the comfort zone hun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJoF0wJNGwE
  • tito7388
    tito7388 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The body easily adapts to any stress whether it's exercise or food deprivation. I would change it up every 4 to 5 weeks. Change your workout days around or change exercises. Zig Zag your calorie intake.
    I would never create a deficit by eating less on the other hand the deficit should become greater from activity.
    The misconception is what we are taught through marketing. I never diet.. I mean ever....
    I eat better, healthier and I eat more... I've actually lost tons of fat by eating more not less. But of course you have to workout
    As long as you're physically active then the body does what its supposed to.
    Look at it simple: A plant needs both water and sunlight to thrive and live strongly. What happens if you deprive it of either.
    It would still live but not the way it was meant to. The same goes for our bodies. If you want it to run smooth and healthy balance out a healthy eating lifestyle with healthy physical activity.
    Like I said I eat lots and as I lose more fat and build more lean body I will increase more calories. Man talk about losing while eating....
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    This just sounds like a pitiful excuse to be lazy. Suck it up, it isnt supposed to be easy or we'd all have a six pack.
  • newstar44
    newstar44 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think people need to do what's best for them. Sometimes a person needs time to incorporate changes into their lifestyle so that they won't revert back easily. Too much at once can be overwhelming and can lead to giving up. If you're really looking for sustained change and not a quick change, then go for it. It's all good, just another way people are different. My story is that I started out by giving up soda and don't even crave it anymore. Then I began to make healthier choices at lunch as eating with friends was getting way to heavy each day. Then I started to move more, taking stairs, parking further out in the parking lot, things like that. MFP is now helping me to track my calories and see exactly what I am eating and also helps me see the need to plan. Walking in the mornings is where I am now with a goal of starting at the gym, 3 to 4 times a weeks. Everyone is different and approaches their goals and life in a different way. If this works for you, then go for it. Doing something differently, as long as it's a positive move, will give you success. You'll make changes as you move along and find what works best for you! Congrats to your decisions thus far and good luck in the future!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This just sounds like a pitiful excuse to be lazy. Suck it up, it isnt supposed to be easy or we'd all have a six pack.

The fact is, though, changing your view on food is tough. Food relationships are forged while we are young and reinforced while we grow. I tell people that keeping your weight in check helps you look good, exercise helps you look good naked. Hopefully she achieve one and then figure out that she wants the other Although its not the way I did it, there's nothing wrong with tackling it one step at a time. Also, if you read her posts she did say she wasn't planing on just sitting on her *kitten*, she's just not planning on a stringent exercise schedule.
  • Brunchstress
    Options
    Work out when you can. Don't stress!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I see where you're coming from, and I only partially agree.

I agree that you should focus on one goal at a time. However, I don't think you have to completely master the food before you pick up on exercise. I think that weekly, or monthly goals will be easier to manage rather than focusing on everything all at once.

So, maybe this week, you should log everything you eat, and don't worry about restricting calories. Then, maybe next week, lower the amount you eat each day by one hundred calories. Then, work on drinking two quarts of water a day... then by week 4, lower your calories another 100. Then... on your second month, add 10 minutes of exercise a day...

That way, you don't have to master all the skills at once. You are still making progress toward your goals, but the way you go about it will be easier to sustain.

You have to start somewhere, and you can't do it all at once. I agree with the idea that you should focus on one goal for now, and then slowly approach the other goals.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean but if you honestly thought this was the perfect plan then why did you post it here basically begging for validation?

/2c