Greek Yogurt

Options
NWCountryGal
NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
this is a big fad but it may be a good one. Can some of you let me know the "good" brands to try? I was told always go for like 5, live cultured yogurt so I've been buying Mountain High.

Open to suggestions and reasons why you may think Greek Yogurt is better for us?

Thanks, Denise
PS It better not be because of John Stamos either ladies:laugh: Although, well, nevermind:drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    As far as taste goes I love oskios vanilla yogurt
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love me some greek yogurt! As far as a brand goes, I would go to your grocery store and pick up one of the little 1 serving containers for each brand and you can decide which one you like the best. Some popular brands are Chobani (this is the one I usually get), Fage, and Oikos. I think it is superior to regular yogurt because it is more filling and has a ton of protein!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it yet but I like to buy in large containers. For me it's cheaper that way and I use more than a snack pack has. Maybe this comes in large containers too though, I didn't ask that Ginger?? Does it have all good stuff, no additives etc. How about live cultures, any? ty again, you are always helping me;) denise
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Chobani is delicious. I only buy nonfat plain.
    Also Trader Joe's brand, if you live near a store, I think is delicious, and far more affordable.
    I love greek yogurt....it's like cheesecake to me, and it really hits the spot.
  • Jeliwood
    Jeliwood Posts: 61
    Options
    I tried the yoplait vanilla and honey the other day and it was surprisingly good. Very smooth. Even my kids liked it and they don't like greek yogurt because of the texture.

Chobani is decent. The pineapple is good, if you can find it.

I like the plain oikos in place of sour cream on potatoes, mexican food, and the like.

Mmmm and oikos honey with diced up strawberries or bananas.
  • kcputtytat
    kcputtytat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I buy small containers I usually buy Chobani. It has great taste, real pieces of fruit and a lot of protein. For plain yogurt I usually buy large containers of Fago 0% fat.
  • queencatwana
    queencatwana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oikos honey non-fat! A lot of my coworkers like the Chobani brand
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    i love greek yogurt. i just go with either the Dannon Oikos greek yogurt. Yoplait greek yogurt. or the Chobani Greek yogurt. my favorite flavors are Key Lime, Mango, and strawberry. greek yogurt is awesome.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Stoneyfield Organic's Oikos Super Fruits yogurt! That is the only yogurt I will eat. I love it so much, I buy it by the case. However, at almost $2.00 per serving it can get costly!! :-))
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've only tried Liberte and Presidents choice and I love the Liberte one. Lemon, cherry, strawberry, vanilla. they are all good.
  • jvint1
    jvint1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The absolute best IMHO is Fage. Costco now sells the multi flavor packets. The texture and flavor is far superior to any of the other brands I've tried. Love it!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Any of them nonfat, plain are disgusting. Whichever brand I get, I always make sure its flavored or vanilla. When I first started eating greek yogurt, I thought it tasted like spoiled milk, but I'm slowly getting used to it. I don't know if you have a Krogers near you, but the brand I've discovered that I like the most is the generic Krogers brand of Vanilla.

My favorite thing to do with it is to mix Hershey's dark chocolate cocoa powder, Stevia, and vanilla flavoring. It reminds me of chocolate soft serve ice cream if you put it in the freezer 20 mins before you eat it :D
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i love chobani!

my favorites:
    black cherry
    mango
    pineapple
    apple cinnamon
    peach
    blood orange
  • EileenT72
    EileenT72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tried all the major brands recently to find out which one I'd like best. Yoplait was awful - I would never buy it again. The rest of the brands were pretty good - Chobani, Oikos - but my absolute favorite is Fage. I like their strawberry best, and also like cherry & blueberry. They are 120 calories for 5.3 oz. They have the fruit separate from the yogurt, so you can pour the fruit on top and eat it that way, or mix it. I found that I preferred it unmixed.

I like greek yogurt because it's more filling & has more protein.
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I mix the Chobani non-fat blueberry or strawberry with fresh fruits -- blueberries, strawberries and right now, at the start of "stone fruit" season - great nectarines etc. You get a wonderful breakfast from the mixture of the greek yogurt 2-3 servings of fruit, and enough protein to get you through to mid-day.

I also make my own granola using oats, slivered almonds, dried apricots and coconut -- way better than the store-bought processed stuff. Lovely to mix in to my yogurt and fruit breakfast.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I buy Tescos own brand plain greek yogurt. I get it because I like the taste, especially with a bit of fruit or honey, or recently as a replacement for sour cream on my mexican style wraps :smile:
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ok, jes a personal opinion here. I have tried the Chibani and the Oikos. I prefer the oikos. the Chibani isnt thick, and tastes the same as regular yogurt. The Oikos is thick, and creamy, and delicious. I like the fruit better than the honey, but again, it is jes my taste preference.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I tried the yoplait vanilla and honey the other day and it was surprisingly good. Very smooth. Even my kids liked it and they don't like greek yogurt because of the texture.

They liked it because Yoplait isn't really Greek yogurt. It's Yoplait yogurt that has been strained then thickened with milk protein concentrate and multiple other thickeners to resemble the texture of actual Greek yogurt.

ETA: Fage is the only authentic Greek yogurt on the American market, and it tastes the best to boot.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options

This is my favorite as well. Also like the Oikos with strawberries and the one with blueberries.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Oikos and Chobani. Faja is good because you get to mix in the extra stuff yourself.