What's your opinion on Lean Cuisines?

Options
I love lean cuisines because of the different choicesnof food, and how they teach me portion control, but I was talking to someone and they said that they don't don't like them because they are high in sodium. I was curious on everyone elses views on them. So is it a yay or nay for you?

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yay
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Nay. I used to eat them when I was on Weight Watchers because a lot of processed foods are supported by them. On WW, you just worry about "Points". Not about the true nutrition of the food like on MFP.

The sodium is just blegh. I've learned since then to just take the time to cook my own meals and I'm seeing more weight loss that way.

Sure, if you're in a tight spot and need a quick fix it's not the worst choice for you. But I wouldn't eat them all the time.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    No. Fresh is best and you know exactly what your putting in! X
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love Lean Cuisine.. It is convenient for me to throw one in a bag for lunch and I don't have to worry about cooking or measuring anything. And there is such a variety that I never get bored with eating.
  • rondaa_ambition
    Options
    I lost 80lbs incorporating lean cuisine in my diet.. I guess everyone is different but its a YAY for me :)
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes they have a TON of sodium. I like a few of them and when I eat one I can tell I am retaining fluid from sodium overload.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I really think these are a personal choice (like most everything when it comes to losing weight). I do eat them - not everyday, but I do. I keep them in my freezer for the nights I don't feel like cooking, have to work late or am simply busy, busy, busy. I don't see them as anything bad - yes, they have preservatives in them and higher sodium, but there are worst things out there to eat in my opinion. And if they help someone master portions or help keep someone on track - they are worth it.
  • Tapemymouthshutplease
    Options
    If it were not for Lean Cuisine I would probably starve. They have not killed me yet so I suppose they are safe to eat. : )
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I love lean cuisines because of the different choicesnof food, and how they teach me portion control, but I was talking to someone and they said that they don't don't like them because they are high in sodium. I was curious on everyone elses views on them. So is it a yay or nay for you?

Nay times 10. I'll eat one now and again if there's nothing else, but they're kind of crap for me. High sodium, not really veg friendly. Cooking fresh is best!
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have a lean cuisine every so often but i like the healthy choice cafe steamers and the ones full of veggies better. They have a higher nutritional value percentage and lower sodium. More expensive though obviously lol my nutritionist taught me what to read when looking at these packages.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    They are high in sodium. Some of them have more than my favorite Hungry Man dinner (1640mg sodium). They also changed the noodle in the lasagna. Other than those, I don't have a problem with them.
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    I've lost 95% of my weight during the 4 months by eating mainly Weight Watchers food, asmentioned they are great for portion control, nutritional info availability and variety when you don't have time to cook or just can't be bothered.

I just drink lots of water to offset the sodium. Been working ok for me.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Nay. Way too much sodium, overly processed, and not filling at all. I guess if you're in a time crunch it's better than nothing.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Not my cup of tea, but if they taste good to you, satiate you, and fit into your calorie and macros, then why not.
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options
    I lost 80lbs incorporating lean cuisine in my diet.. I guess everyone is different but its a YAY for me :)

Agree completely, although I prefer smart choice meals over lean cuisine.

I understand why some people are against them but if you've come to this site and you're used to eating a big mac, large fries and drink for lunch every day and you switch to a lean cuisine, or any similar meal, then you're making huge positive change. I'm sure making everything fresh is obviously the nutritionally healthier decision but not everyone has the time to do that for three meals a day, seven days a week.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    Where is the' "That was filling" said no one ever about lean cuisine ' gif when you need it?
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Nay!! While they're marketed as good, healthy, diet food, they're bad! Tons and tons of preservatives go into those things, and they have way too much sodium. Stay away from them if you can.
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    I want real food in my food. There are so many awesome vegetables, nuts, dairy products, lean protein and spices to choose from that I could never go back to eating processed meals like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice.

I respect the fact that they're "quick and easy" but the great flavors of the foods I eat are light years ahead of the stuff that comes out of a box.

I'm sure the calories are fine in these pre-prepared meals but I can't stick to an eating plan if I sacrifice taste and nutrition and there's simply plenty of both in real food.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Now and then I eat them when I'm in a hurry and putting my lunch together. There are only a couple that I eat though. A couple of the chicken ones that are low in sugar. Fresh is best.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    On the fence.

I ate them a LOT when hubby was deployed (it was just me and the baby, no time or energy to cook a real meal!). I lost all my baby weight quickly. It's hard to cook for one person and these do fit in nicely with portion control.

I think every now and then, it's not bad. But if you have time on the weekends or whatever to cook up a big batch of something healthy and freeze it into individual portions, it would be much better for you.