Anyone Else Having a Slow Weight Loss Journey Like Me?!

Options
I've been documenting my weight loss journey since I started here, almost everyday I am below my caloric intake. I started my MFP journey with what was suggested, which was 1200 calories a day, at first it worked out okay, but then I found myself needing more energy and I felt hungry every so often, so I got some advice from fellow MFP'ers and upped it to 1440. Most of the time I'm making fairly good decisions with my food intake, I'm almost always over 10 glasses of water a day, and yet I find myself with such a slow process... :grumble:

Anyone else in my shoes? It'd be nice to know I'm not the only one..

May 5th - 162.4 lbs
May 12th - 159.0 lbs
May 19th - 156.4
May 26th - 156.4
Jun 2nd - 157.4
Jun 9th - 157.3
Jun 16th - 157.4
Jun 23rd - 157.2
Jun 30th - 157.2
Jul 7th - 157.4
Jul 14th - 155.4
Jul 21st - 158.3
Jul 28th - 156.8

It's been almost 3 months and yet I've only lost 7 lbs on my journey.. (yoyo'ing constantly as well)

Only looking at 17% weight loss (CURRENT 156 lbs, STARTED 162 lbs)

Replies

• cehall422
    cehall422 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey! I know exactly how you feel! I've been taking my weight loss super seriously since mid May and today I just got to my ten pound mark. I know there were a few weeks when I got lazy and that is why I would gain or stay the same. But slow and steady wins the race. And while you might not be dropping the pounds right away you are making progress. :smile: I'm sure many other people are going through what we are. Keep it up!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Been losing weight for 37 straight months and am not done yet..... Slow and steady wins the race... Best of Luck....
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've not lost one pound in a month, sometimes bouncing around a 1/2 to three pound gain, then dropping it off again; still no new weight loss for four weeks. I can empathize. It's very discouraging, though I'm keeping at it. :/
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    my weight loss journey is also going very slow lately..i put myself in maintain mode not really to maintain but to get myself to eat more...i was averaging out at 900-1100 a day n frankly that is to low for me. now i am up here round 1300-1500 . i lost bout 2lbs since i started this...but i also have been lacking exercise as i felt like giving up...now i am back on the wagon n ready to lose the weight more!!! also i am trying to concieve as well...so plz feel free to add me..
  • AHealthyMe15
    AHealthyMe15 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Losing at a steady, slower rate is not a bad thing. I feel that by losing weight the healthy way it will stay off...for good! Once I got closer to my goal it got even tougher to lose weight as fast as I did in the beginning before I started MFP, but 1 lb at a time!
  • Kimluvmy4
    Kimluvmy4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!!! i have been very vigilant and only lost ten pounds in the last few months. The mantra that keeps me going is - it is still better and more healthy than gaining!!!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your measurements and body fat%? You could be making more progress than the scale reveals.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take body measurements because as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat. And you might be losing fat but the scale won't change that much.

ALSO, I just found this out, but make sure you are constantly readjusting your goals every few pounds lost because MFP does not reduce your calorie goals for you to keep at the same pounds lost per week. For example, you weigh around 155, with 1.0 wk/loss, but then at 150 MFP will keep you at the same calorie goal but indicates you are only then at a 0.7 lbs per week loss. So make sure you are constantly going into the GOAL tab and readjusting your calorie goal.

I am also a very..very slow weight loser. I lift weights about 4x a week and do cardio about 2x a week. So I know you're frustration. But if you don't lift weights, then you'll just be a skinny fat. :p
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3 pounds in about five weeks. At least the journey is down however long it takes.
  • tisane42
    tisane42 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight very slowly. I started at 225 at the beginning of 2007 and am now only down to 195. But I've kept all of it off, which is more than I an say for most dieters starting at my size.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Today is my one year anniversary on MFP. I am a slow loser, set for about .5 pound per week. I backslide on occasion, but try to stick with eating well the majority of the time. While my weight loss may not look significant in numbers, i am around 18 pounds down for the year, I've dropped 2 pant sizes and have a strange addiction now to exercise, and feel healthier than I think I ever have felt.

To me, It's really about changing habits, and leading a healthy lifestyle, if you learn to do that, and keep it up, I don't think it matters how quickly or how much you lose. you will have NSVs (Non Scale Victories) along the way that will mean just as much as the number on the scale going down. I think it's important to celebrate them when you have them.

Congratulations on your progress so far, and know you are not alone!!
  • natasa2604
    natasa2604 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think that the main problem is type of food you're eating - because 100kcal of chocolate and 100kcal of tomatoes are not the same thing!! chocolate just goes straight to your belly and bottom, and you cannot get anything bad by eating vegetables!
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    For sure! I'm not one to lose quickly. My entire journey has been like that and the slimmer I get, the harder it is to lose a pound. My advice would be of course, don't give up. But, also, don't put too much emphasis on the scale. Use the tape measurement more. Feel free to make a friend request if you like. It's nice to get support from other slow-losers. It's not like we're not losing at all. Right? RIGHT! :o)
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I have gone a month losing 1 lb., only to have my doctor say, well, weight fluctuates more than that so it isn't a REAL pound. But, yes, yes it was real because the next pound and the next one kept coming off because I refused to be discouraged. You have to be stubborn, really stubborn and keep the weight going down no matter what your body is doing to sabotague your goals. Be cognizant of salt, water weight, portion size and hidden calories and sooner or later your body has to give it up!
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 25 days and have yet to lose anything. BUT I feel better! It is so frustrating not to see it reflect on the scale but I know it'll catch up at some point. I have been eating under my calorie goal of 1490 pretty consistently. I've also been working out so I know I'm taking the right steps. It'll all come in time.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Progress is progress! You're doing well =]

You just need to experiment with different things, like different calorie limits etc, youll find one that suits you =]

From my own personal experience, Kickboxing was the one thing that tipped me over the edge, mixed with a well adjusted diet.

Dieting alone will give you results, but bigger results will come if you push your body
  • DollShannon
    Options
    THANK GOODNESS I"M NOT ALONE!

I watch people around me lose and lose and lose so fast and it is so frustrating!
    I feel like a toddler screaming inside "It's just NOT FAIR!"

I just have to keep reminding myself that I didn't gain all this mess in a month, or 6 months, or even a year. It's taken me a long time to get where I am now, so it will take awhile to get rid of it too.

I read this on a motivation board a few weeks ago and wrote it on my bathroom mirror in dry-erase marker (I'm a teacher so I have them lying around :o)

"Never trade what you WANT the MOST for what you want at the MOMENT."

Seriously - when I WANT to sleep in next to my hubby for an extra 20 minutes instead of run 3 miles in the blazing NC sun, I think about this. I want to feel better, look better, and be better.
  • mapple322
    mapple322 Posts: 7
    Options
    One of the things I've noticed is the amount of sodium that I take in everyday. Sodium helps your body retain water. I admit, I don't drink nearly enough water - so maybe that will be my push to lose weight. I've been on MFP for 3 weeks, and have not lost any weight - but at the same time, I feel 150 times better.

If I had your loss ratio, I wouldn't be concerned at all. Keep up the good work!!!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I'm not losing pounds as fast as I would like, but I'm losing mad inches! :bigsmile:
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So, 7 lbs over 14 weeks is an average of half a pound per week.

Slow, yes, but as long as it stays steady, it's good.