Do all beverages count towards your water intake?

Options

Replies

• lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

So why would you cheat yourself and not want to drink just water?

Because you are drinking water! You are talking absolute rubbish. Sorry someone had to say it.

Your body treats a diet soda different than water, not rocket science here.

Care to explain in what hormonal or chemical way? Please :)

www.google.com I dont have to time post the numerous studies from googling or from PubMed. So keep drinking soda and have a great day !
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I only count water because it's, well a water intake ;-)
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The thing about soda and iced tea is that they dehydrate. just drink water, it's not that freaking hard.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It really, really hurts my brain to see people repeating things that simply aren't true. There is absolutely no excuse, with the access to information that we have - to believe, repeat, or hammer in things that are just terribly, terribly inaccurate.

Some subjects are complex, and easy to forgive, because of the amount of wading it takes (hint: don't offer advice on these subjects unless you have waded.)

Some are simple. Like water. Like the diuretic effect of caffeine.

" ... caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day." - Source: Mayoclinic.com
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Because you are drinking water! You are talking absolute rubbish. Sorry someone had to say it.

Care to explain in what hormonal or chemical way? Please :)

www.google.com I dont have to time post the numerous studies from googling or from PubMed. So keep drinking soda and have a great day !

There isn't any. How does it dehydrate you please? What mechanism?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    The thing about soda and iced tea is that they dehydrate. just drink water, it's not that freaking hard.

Same question to you.

What mechanism?
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I only count water also...

And drinking diet coke vs. water is cooooommmpletely different!!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I count anything with zero calories-- water, black tea, black coffee.

...I wish wine counted. :(
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I only count water also...

And drinking diet coke vs. water is cooooommmpletely different!!

Why are they different?
  • downinaggieland98
    Options
    Seriously?

Ok for starters, and this is just the first article that had a summary that I saw ...

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/dietsoda.aspx

"Foremost among these is caffeine. Many of the diet drinks are cola-based or otherwise have caffeine added. It’s part of the mix created by manufacturers to make soft drinks — particularly diet soft drinks — seem more substantial. Yes, it gives you a sugar-like “boost,” or seems to, but that caffeine buzz really isn’t giving your body anything it needs. And the complications of caffeine consumption and addiction are legion, with fatigue, chronic anxiety, insomnia, and worsening symptoms of hormonal imbalance topping the list.

Additionally, caffeine is a diuretic, so while you may be thinking that a diet soda quenches your thirst and helps keep you hydrated, the opposite is true. Diet soda often contains sodium, which exacerbates thirst, while the caffeine causes you to lose fluid.

All carbonated sodas also contain calcium-leaching phosphoric acid, and so much acid in your system can tilt your pH balance to an unhealthy level. Healthy detoxification takes place in a slightly alkaline environment. Too much acidity will sabotage the detox process.

If you think I’m being an alarmist, try this experiment: Fill a glass with soda, diet or regular, and drop a nail into the glass. Watch it over the course of an hour or two. You’ll find that the soda eats away at the nail in a surprisingly short amount of time. Now think of what it can do to living stomach tissue!"
  • wellbert
    Options
    Seriously?

Ok for starters, and this is just the first article that had a summary that I saw ...

"Foremost among these is caffeine. Many of the diet drinks are cola-based or otherwise have caffeine added. It’s part of the mix created by manufacturers to make soft drinks — particularly diet soft drinks — seem more substantial. Yes, it gives you a sugar-like “boost,” or seems to, but that caffeine buzz really isn’t giving your body anything it needs. And the complications of caffeine consumption and addiction are legion, with fatigue, chronic anxiety, insomnia, and worsening symptoms of hormonal imbalance topping the list.

Additionally, caffeine is a diuretic, so while you may be thinking that a diet soda quenches your thirst and helps keep you hydrated, the opposite is true. Diet soda often contains sodium, which exacerbates thirst, while the caffeine causes you to lose fluid.

All carbonated sodas also contain calcium-leaching phosphoric acid, and so much acid in your system can tilt your pH balance to an unhealthy level. Healthy detoxification takes place in a slightly alkaline environment. Too much acidity will sabotage the detox process.

If you think I’m being an alarmist, try this experiment: Fill a glass with soda, diet or regular, and drop a nail into the glass. Watch it over the course of an hour or two. You’ll find that the soda eats away at the nail in a surprisingly short amount of time. Now think of what it can do to living stomach tissue!"

And thus we find a flaw in google searches. They bring up total crap like the above article. Well, the bit on phosphoric acid might be true. The bit about the nail is hilarious. Our stomach is full of powerful acid. But you know that already, don't you?

It's best to stick directly to reliable sources. When in doubt, check multiple sources. Throw away any articles that don't cite sources. Heck, CHECK their sources. How often do we see an article that cites something and gets it backwards? Pretty often.
  • downinaggieland98
    Options

And thus we find a flaw in google searches. They bring up total crap like the above article. Well, the bit on phosphoric acid might be true. The bit about the nail is hilarious. Our stomach is full of powerful acid. But you know that already, don't you?

It's best to stick directly to reliable sources. When in doubt, check multiple sources. Throw away any articles that don't cite sources. Heck, CHECK their sources. How often do we see an article that cites something and gets it backwards? Pretty often.

So you honestly think that artificial sweeteners and acids are as healthy as pure water for your body? Total crap? I'm not even sure what to say about that.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Try doing the same with stomach acid. Does the same.

As for everything else about it causing water loss try this for actual science rather than made up hocus pocus on women's websites :laugh:

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-essr/Abstract/2007/07000/Caffeine,_Fluid_Electrolyte_Balance,_Temperature.8.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20693584

And a couple of less serious bits of info...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

http://www.nctimes.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_df147532-cee3-5abe-91b2-9014a83a1af1.html
  • wellbert
    Options

So you honestly think that artificial sweeteners and acids are as healthy as pure water for your body? Total crap? I'm not even sure what to say about that.

Artificial sweeteners aren't good for people that are sensitive to them. No peer-reviewed study exists (last I looked) that really indicates they are really harmful for most people. The bit about phosphoric acid and bone loss is potentially true, but not yet confirmed as a fact.

Acids? Do you realize how much whole, natural food is full of some pretty potent acids? Take a look at an orange. Or a lemon.

As healthy as water? Well that's not really the issue in this thread. As 'hydrating as water.' is. A can of coke is as hydrating as water - because it's mostly water, and has nowhere near the caffeine needed to have a diuretic effect.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

The question is whether soda can hydrate you. Scientific studies from Mayo clinic show that caffeine in small doses does not have a signficant diuetic effect and not all sodas contain caffeine anyway. So, the water in the soda can be used for hydration. The phosphoric acid may be a concern for some people but not all soda contain high levels of phophoric acid.

The issue about acidity is just a parlour trick. The hydrochloric acid in your somach is a stronger acid that diet coke. Your kidneys have a sophiisticated process of keeping the ph level in your blood within normal limits.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Anything you consume has some parts water in it. Take grapes for instance. But I do not count that as my water intake unless its actual water. There is the exception if you fill a bottle with water but add flavoring.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only count water as water becuase I want 9 cups a day. That being said, if I put a nestle water flavor in it, I still count it as water. I only use milk if I am having a shake but still I don't really count it.

Any pop or coffee, etc. shouldn't count as it is a diuretic.

Personally juice is a waste of calories so it shouldn't count either lol...
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Oh, this post again??
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    Almost every drink besides water has calories in it and for example if you drink a sweet tea from mcdonalds, you should count it so you wont go over your calorie limit!!!! That could be about 250+ calories that you are over eating and lead to gaining weight!!!!!
  • catwoman131
    Options

How do you figure? Diet soda IS water with some artifical sweeteners & colors thrown in. Those are a tiny, tiny percent of the overall quantity of a 12 oz can of diet Coke. Your body will process those items as it does anything else and you will have a NET INCREASE in fluids (even if there IS some significant diuretic effect of the caffeine).