Grrrrr - people just don't understand

Options
Seriously!! How man times do I have to tell to people I am on a diet....

Let's go out for dinner here
Let's go to lunch here
I know let's all go here
Oh I know chelle let's go here
Oh I know you like these doughnuts I'll buy extra and dump them in front if you
Hey it's my birthday you HAVE to have cake
Oh look the vending machine broke at work legs dump all the goodies on Michelle's desk..

Damn it!!

Thankfully I haven't given in but by god its given me the hump!!!!

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    In before anyone else? I'm surprised. Well, here goes...

'It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change'. ;)

Honestly, it's easy to eat out if you save up your calories that day for one good meal. There's generally something on every menu which is lower calorie. As for the treats, you can either indulge in moderation or find someone else who might like them. Or trash 'em.
  • BLSaw
    BLSaw Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    its very hard to do if others arent on board with your life style changes
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifestyle change! I keep telling myself that ;-)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Habits are hard to break.

I've been 'on the wagon' for about 50 days, and even my fiance, who I see about 10 hours a day, forgets and buys me crap food that I used to love.

People like to share tasty food, and often give food to show love! Just be patient with them, and keep the thick skin, you're doing awesome!
  • Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My coworker brought me doughnuts the day after I announced my new dietary status (aka Diet).

Stick to it! The same people will be the first ones to notice when the pounds start coming off.

**** also, doggie bags at restaurants are your friend! They have helped me eat out without going nuts.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i went on a date 2 weeks ago... the guy was thrilled when i showed up looking better than my pic and during discussions he knew i was on a diet. We ordered dinner and my grilled chicken sandwich came with fries... and he kept trying to force me to eat them! Needless to say our first date was our last.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    each time you say "no thanks" have a little party in your head. it's ok to treat yourself for a special occasion, but only when it's worth it to you. I had make a vow with myself not to eat to please people. My family and inlaws are all big on food, so it can be difficult when they take you not eating a second portion of whatever they've made as an insult.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I agree with EndlessMuse. I haven't given anything up except for drinks. I mainly drink water. But as far as food, nope. All in moderation. And I've lost 10 lbs since starting MFP July 1st.
  • SierraSwearingen
    Options
    Awful! That sucks. I used to do things like that to my friend (no intentionally!) until she told me she couldn't hang with me anymore. (And she was dead serious.) It was huge. It led to a total change in my own fitness, actually. Not much you can do about co-workers, but maybe you can confront friends the way mine confronted me?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    How dare people want to spend time with you!! The nerve of your friends inviting you out to lunch... Guess what - you're the one trying to change your habits, not everyone else. If you want to actually make the necessary changes to reach your goals, you're going to have to learn how to go out with friends every once in a while without acting like people are actively trying to sabotage your life.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You can't stop living life just for a diet, sweetie!
    This is a change in your lifestyle that will reap rewards of sculpting the body you enjoy. :smile:
    That being said, only way to keep having a social life and stay on track is to school yourself on the best options of each place to eat out (trust, not all salads are healthy!) and to plan ahead.
    If it turns into a surprise situation, log it and work out/compensate.

I'm not saying eat half the cake at every birthday and then run 10 miles, but one piece of cake won't destroy you're entire week of eating healthy.

:flowerforyou:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    While sitting at my desk eating a salad, my boss comes over to my cube and says, "You should have come with us today, we were healthy! We went to Chick-Fil-A!" He was serious. Yeah, people don't get it.
  • simeson
    simeson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Deluxe said...soon they will all realize that your hard work and determination has made a difference! Then they will be envious!
    Keep at it girl
    xo
  • LuisaAdames
    Options
    Sometimes your friends and coworkers sabotage your efforts on purpose! Especially if they do not want you to look better than them! Sometimes, they do it unknowingly though because eating fun tasty foods makes everyone feel better for about 15 seconds! Then, regret sets in! So, stay strong - YOU can do this!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    oh my god i know exactly how you feel. ALLLLL OF MY FRIENDS are constantly wanting to go out for dinner. to the absolute worst places. and they're always trying to give me food. and they KNOW i'm trying to eat healthy. so irritating. i feel for you girl haha
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I admire your dedication!

Buuut you may want to rework your diet alittle bit... If you are constantly saying no to things like that, there is a chance you may break early.. its hard to always say no to those kinds of things... If you can work it into your daily life every once in a while, you may end up making your weightloss last longer and not experience a rebound like so many people do.

It may be worthwhile taking up your friends on those offers, and then just eating according to your diet guidelines. A lot of restaurants have options that can likely suit your needs as long as you dont allow yourself to be tempted into a bad decision. Alcohol is a terrible idea ;)

Birthday cake is another thing, but I have found if you avoid butter-cream toppings (eat just the bread) you can get away with having a little bit for a birthday celebration. Eating a lot of butter-cream topping even when you are off a diet is a great way to gain your weight back, since its just empty calories and the sugar rush will just make you want to eat more.

You dont have to eliminate the joys of food to diet, you just need to make good decision on what you eat when you go out haha.

Just my 2c.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well as a society, we have evolved to have every "event' revolve around food/drinks. That seems the only way people get together anymore.

As someone else said, you can plan ahead and save up a little to go out for lunch or dinner and just do a little more excercise. Sometimes it seems like everyone is doing nothing but talking about food. Try to keep your head above the water!. You can do it.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    If people offer me things that I don't want I just say no thank you I don't eat things like that!!! I have a good excuse though as I only eat free range eggs so anything with eggs in I just say oh no I can't have that it's got eggs in!!! :smile:
  • StarLight2001
    Options
    I know how u feel.. I'm a mother of four kids. An 8 yr old, 7yr old, 4 yr old and a 2 month old baby..its so hard to stay on track with them because they always want unhealthy or to eat all the time. i try to go to the gym mon thru fri and now i have a buddy. if I could do it u can to. its hard I know but theres always a light at the end of the tunnel.. :tongue: