Grrrrr - people just don't understand

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I eventually had to get nasty with my fat coworkers who wouldn't stop poking fun at my "lifestyle change". I snapped one day and just told them I made my "lifestyle change" because I was tired of being looking like them. Mean, I know. But they stopped. ;D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How selfish of your friends to go on with their lives while you lose weight. And to invite you to join them! The horror!

Get over it. Nobody is going to change for you. If you don't want to eat something then don't. If you don't want to go somewhere then say no. But you should also learn how to enjoy your life instead of obsessing about every meal. You can still have a piece of birthday cake while losing weight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle...sorry had to say it again! I'm not going to stop going out to eat!! I love food. When I go out to eat I just make healthy choices!! Chicken something with veggies. Dessert....NO. Or maybe it's a day I burned a ton of calories working out so it's a big hell yes to dessert. Honesty....stay in your calorie range and make the best healthy choices that you can. As long as you're not hitting up McDonald's everyday and eating those donuts that people love to bring to work you'll be fine!
  • Ninja_Bunny
    Ninja_Bunny Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think it is time for a good old fashion talking to. LOL I think it would be good for you to tell your friends, thank you for trying to give me things I used to like, however I am trying to make myself healthier and would appreciate the support. Sometimes if life you have to trim the fat off of relationships that used to work but now are detrimental. I would try the talk first ;)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can go out to eat...just have self control and watch what you eat. Its all in how you act towards your diet, other people should not dictate how you follow the way you eat. it should not stop you from going out to eat at all, just eat smaller portions and eat healthy
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    While sitting at my desk eating a salad, my boss comes over to my cube and says, "You should have come with us today, we were healthy! We went to Chick-Fil-A!" He was serious. Yeah, people don't get it.

Chick Fil A has salads. They also have grilled chicken sandwiches and fruit cups. You don't have to sit at your desk and eat to eat healthy! If that were the case, I could never stick with it long term.
  • amg2075
    amg2075 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You know those quit smoking patch commericals that are on TV now? Where a very tiny band starts playing a motivational song everytime the person choses not to smoke. Just picture your very on tiny band cheering you on when you say no to the doughnut!
  • Lambeze
    Lambeze Posts: 237
    Options
    OMG I know the feeling. When I go to the field I have to take my own stuff. An MRE can have over 1300cal in one meal.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of cultures revolve around food and company/companionship. I don't think that many people deliberately try to make us fat by offering us stuff we can only eat in moderation, but they do this because it's the status quo/the norm.

Once we moderate our actions/reactions to those around us, we can be successful.
  • angieshow3
    angieshow3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Once you say no often enough people will stop asking. People use to do that to me all the time when I first started. Now they don't even go there.

AND

When I first started eating healthier I didn't let people know. When people knew, it felt like they would always make a comment, or a big deal out of something and try and shove food in your face. So... I stopped telling people. Maybe it is all a perception issue... but it helped.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I sit by the kitchenette in the office. Hard enough to smell everyone's breakfast & lunch, but when a coworker decided that he was going to bring in candy for a solid year??!! He did it. Dark chocolates, twizzlers, all kinds of good stuff. If I left my desk it was right in front of me. What a miserable year! Just stick to your guns!!!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    While sitting at my desk eating a salad, my boss comes over to my cube and says, "You should have come with us today, we were healthy! We went to Chick-Fil-A!" He was serious. Yeah, people don't get it.

Chick-fil-a has salads and a grilled chicken that is roughly 400 cal. Grab both, ditch the top bun, and it can fit into your daily goal.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    On the opposite spectrum, i have lost all the weight and have been on maintenance successfully for a year and did it with moderation. My biggest pet peeve was hearing "oh well we were going to go here, but i guess you can't". or "wow you're eating a cookie? really?"
    I haven't given up anything and go out to eat daily since i am a horrible cook with no time and the worst is when people skip offering me a yummy donut (which I eat half of)! Not all days allow a cookie in the budget but i'd rather be offered and make it in the budget if I really want it than be seen as "that skinny girl who doesn't eat anything bad"... thank goodness my office learned real quick that I have the will power to turn their bad things down but BETTER ask me! Lifestyle changes allow for everything in moderation :-) But calorie budget is always in mind... ok do i have the extra 150 calories for that cookie or do I have 75 for half.. or do i have to politely turn down a fatty meal at lunch bc no time for working out or a big dinner planned, but not because i'm on a diet, because that day it just doesn't fit into a healthy lifestyle. (and daily allowance of 1400 calories for maintence)!!
    I replied cuz trust me I wouldn't want people shoving that in my face with pressure either so both sides stink!! lol Good luck w/ your loss!! :-)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    How dare people want to spend time with you!! The nerve of your friends inviting you out to lunch... Guess what - you're the one trying to change your habits, not everyone else. If you want to actually make the necessary changes to reach your goals, you're going to have to learn how to go out with friends every once in a while without acting like people are actively trying to sabotage your life.

^^This....it's a life-style change. Not crawl under a rock and become a hermit. end/
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    The other nite I was out of calories for the day (well almost) and we were out with an old friend. He said he had been wanting to buy us dinner for a long time and would we go with him. I didn't want to disappoint him and I know he is lonely so I agreed. We went to a really good italian restaurant, I bypassed all the pasta, ordered a salad with grilled chicken. I sometimes find it more effective to just say I'm eating healthy and that's not good for me or else say it will make my stomach upset, my system cant handle it.
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options

If you get a char grilled sandwhich on their wheat bun its really not that bad... its when you go for the large fry and soda / sugary drinks that you ruin your diet. The sodium content is another story, since you will probably show some excess water weight at the end of the day, but thats just temporary :)

*EDIT* This is also assuming your are not on a ketogenic regimen.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My husband used to be notorious for this wanting to go out to eat or us eat badly, but I finally told him that I can't do it anymore. I won't go out to eat with him unless the restaurant has options for me. He was also bad about always wanting to eat Chinese food when I was pregnant and nauseous. My Dad also sabotages everyone's diets by putting donuts and stuff in the break room at work.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness.. Can I have your friends? I love to eat and will go out with them!

Just because you are trying to eat better, does not mean that you stop living life.. Go out, eat, enjoy, exercise, and you'll be ok.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    This is why I am the one who does the grocery shopping in our house. Otherwise my husband would buy microwaveable and a ton of package garbage. I can't stand eating all the processed foods and such. As for going out to eat, pick something like a salad or grilled whatever with any sauces on the side and you should be okay. And yes, lifestyle change it is. I even walk by Burger King and it makes me gag from the smell.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Exercise a bunch! Makes up for it :)