Just bought P90X

Options
Bought P90X for my husband for Christmas....I haven't read thru it - he's been reading. Thought I'd ask if anyone has some pointers for someone starting based on your own experiences.

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump. :happy:
  • Jessrocks
    Jessrocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Today is day 51 of my first P90X experience and my advice is 1. don't get discouraged, no matter how hard it may seem 2. take your shoes off for ab ripper x, you'll find it easier to do and 3. just keep going! it's fun once you get over the initial "holy cow!"
    enjoy and good luck!!
  • fierceNfiery
    Options
    Just started the Classic P90X and it has been awesome so far. A definate change for this gym rat but I like it so far.:smile:
  • scottekohl
    Options
    Hi,

I bought p90x about a month ago and officially started it yesterday. To prepare my body for the intense change in routine I started doing the just the workouts a bit at a time over the past month. That way it wouldn't be a total shock to my body.

I also watched dozens of videos on Youtube from people who have started the program. They gave great tips on equipment to get (and what NOT to get). Beachbody tries hard to upsale you on equipment, supplements and so forth, but less expensive alternatives can easily be found.

Other advice is beachbody.com has some good free tools for download to help track progress. So far I'm not impressed with beachbody tools to plan and track the diet (you have to pay extra for those). So my girlfriend recommended this site. I'll do my best to match the recommendation for each phase of the program.

Good luck!!!
  • samwal81
    Options
    My tip is low fat or fat free chocolate milk! The protein/fat/carb ratio helps restore the glycogen in your muscles to help with soreness.

Push play and bring it!
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Done P90x and getting ready to start round two. Suggestions, take before and after pictures. Stick with the meal plan that comes along with the routine. Don't get discouraged, some of the moves are tough in some of the routines. Stick with it, they do get easier. PUSH play everyday. Equipment, have a pull-up bar at the least. 5-25 lbs weights are what I started with but you can do the exercises with or without bands, or wieghts. You get stronger with bands and weights, so just a suggestion. Take the fit test before you start. Enjoy.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I have done a Power90 DVD that I borrowed, but am wanting to order the full P90X program... Are there different versions of P90X? I am wanting to drop my gym membership and follow P90X to really get in shape (and save money). What if a pull-up bar is not feasible in my house? How many different sets of dumbells do I need? I have 5lbs - 30lbs. Will I be using all different weights or is it mostly light weight? How do I know if this program is for me?!?! :indifferent:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Hopefully someone will help you with those answers...pullup bar won't fit on our doors but I've heard you can still get great results with resistance bands....we bought a set of Golds Gym weights 40 pounds total to start - $20 at Walmart and level 3 resistance bands....hopefully they are starting it today
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Hopefully someone will help you with those answers...pullup bar won't fit on our doors but I've heard you can still get great results with resistance bands....we bought a set of Golds Gym weights 40 pounds total to start - $20 at Walmart and level 3 resistance bands....hopefully they are starting it today

Did you order your P90X on beachbody.com? What should I expect to pay?
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great tips for someone else just starting, thanks all!

For me, it's just pressing play. And *breathe*.

I need to buy some free weights, I feel like I'm still really clumsy with the bands. But it's good to know you can do it with those alone.

I ended up buying a free-standing pull-up thing. Tough to do pullups without them. :)
  • johnporcaro
    johnporcaro Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Did you order your P90X on beachbody.com? What should I expect to pay?

$140 new from Amazon.com. They had some used for $100 or so, if I recall correctly.
  • jadadesigns
    Options
    My husband and I are hooked on P90X.He lost over 50 pounds and now is a beachbody coach.I have lost inches and gained muscle.Just don't give up,keep trying.I couldn't do one push up now I can easily do 16 and I'm 47!!.Good luck !
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    You can get bands and a door attachment and do pull-downs instead of pull-ups. Tony shows how to do them in each video as a modification. I do recommend getting the bands from Beachbody; they are very good quality and are strong. I had some from Sports Authority that broke, and I can only imagine that Wal-Mart's version would be worse.

I also suggest buying P90X from Beachbody.com or a Beachbody Coach (you can contact me, or any of the Coaches on this site). When you buy from other sources, you may save money initially. But you also run the risk of getting a pirated copy without the books, and you could get discs that don't work. I've seen it a thousand times. Buying from Beachbody ensures that you are getting the complete program, and you are supporting the company that actually makes the videos -- thereby keeping them in business to bring us more workouts!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I bought it from Bechbody and with shipping it was $162 -- that's with a 90 day money back guarantee...not sure if you buy it elsewhere that the 90 days applies. I did not buy any of the accessories they pitch to you except the lifetime replacement warranty that was $10 (included in the $162) - that covers all damages - accidental, etc.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I am excited to do the program. I have really been trying to "get in shape" but just seem to be spinning my wheels at the gym. My husband started back to school full time so our income has dropped pretty dramatically so I decided to quit my gym and buy the P90X. I like that the workouts are at least an hour long. I just hope I buy the right thing and it works out for me!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    You can get bands and a door attachment and do pull-downs instead of pull-ups. Tony shows how to do them in each video as a modification. I do recommend getting the bands from Beachbody; they are very good quality and are strong. I had some from Sports Authority that broke, and I can only imagine that Wal-Mart's version would be worse.

I also suggest buying P90X from Beachbody.com or a Beachbody Coach (you can contact me, or any of the Coaches on this site). When you buy from other sources, you may save money initially. But you also run the risk of getting a pirated copy without the books, and you could get discs that don't work. I've seen it a thousand times. Buying from Beachbody ensures that you are getting the complete program, and you are supporting the company that actually makes the videos -- thereby keeping them in business to bring us more workouts!

Thank you for the advice! I will just buy it from beachbody.com. I can only assume that this program will get me in the best shape possible, am I right?
  • sandy429
    Options
    That would be correct! I just finished my 5th round. You can just keep going and going! :drinker:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    That would be correct! I just finished my 5th round. You can just keep going and going! :drinker:

So has this been the only type of workout you have done for over a year? Do you ever get bored with it?
  • sandy429
    Options

So has this been the only type of workout you have done for over a year? Do you ever get bored with it?

I did three complete rounds of P90X, one round of P90X+, one round of Insanity, and just finished an Insanity/P90X hybrid. I'm about to start a hybrid of P90X+, One-on-One's, & Insanity. Beachbody has a lot to offer!