Strange issue, YAWNING during workouts!

Options

Replies

• 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    for me, yawning during my cardio workout is constant. i don't concentrate on breathing regularly, I've been told that my yawns get me much needed oxygen.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 program and I'm losing weight and toning up like crazy! One issue I have is that I yawn A LOT throughout my workouts! I've tried really focusing on my breathing and nothing seems to help. I've googled my problem and I havent really found any helpful information. I have asthma but working out usually doesnt effect it. And I don't think the yawning is asthma related because I never feel abnormally short of breath and its never painful or difficult to breathe. So far its not really affecting me its just really annoying and sometimes slows me down. Anyone have any tips on this or should I just learn to deal?
    I just peeked at your diary, and your net calories are often very low. This means you are not fueled for your workouts...you are tired.:yawn:
    So I would say, quality and quantity of the food you eat could be raised:)
  • johnscortes
    Options
    he is correct u need more o2...:)
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I yawn all the time when I work out - have done that since I was a teenager. Figured my brain wasn't ready for my body to pump the oxygen around and revolted by forcing my yawns to get O2 to my brain.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I yawn whenever I see anyone or anything yawning, and even when I see the WORD yawn.

I must have yawned five times just reading this thread. And two more times posting to it.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 program and I'm losing weight and toning up like crazy! One issue I have is that I yawn A LOT throughout my workouts! I've tried really focusing on my breathing and nothing seems to help. I've googled my problem and I havent really found any helpful information. I have asthma but working out usually doesnt effect it. And I don't think the yawning is asthma related because I never feel abnormally short of breath and its never painful or difficult to breathe. So far its not really affecting me its just really annoying and sometimes slows me down. Anyone have any tips on this or should I just learn to deal?
    I am told it means your brain needs oxygen....just keep breathing.....LOL
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Yawning can be a sign of your body needing oxygen....so you're good. Keep working out. -it's true. Look it up.

Oh, and Yawning is contagious. No one really knows why. If you do..PM me with evidence...YAWN....sorry, couldn't resist.
  • tlo23
    tlo23 Posts: 68
    Options
    I do this sometimes too...even when I'm not tired. I get embarrassed when I do it often in a group class at the gym, but I try to focus so I won't do it as often. Just talking about yawning is making me do it now lol
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    your blood sugar could be low, causing mental fatique. try a sipping on a sports beverage, which contain sugar thru your workout.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, a recent article came out that points to yawning as a way to send cool blood to the brain. So when you are working out and your core is starting to heat up, you may be yawning so that your body can work on cooling itself, mainly the brain and above the shoulders.

Edited to add the link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919171340.htm

I would totally buy this, cause I wake up in the morning and usually by the time I get to work am awake :) But, where I work is terrible about being hot, and it's a physical job, so within an hour I am both sweating like crazy and yawning my head off. Always thought heat was the issue.

Well that just means your brain is trying to cool itself. Which is what the link states is a possibility. If you are sweating, your body is trying to get the cooler blood up there.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Me, too, but mine is way worse doing strength training. Cardio doesn't seem to trigger it, but heavy lifting sure does!
  • jjteddy1982
    jjteddy1982 Posts: 107
    Options
    I dont know if its true or a myth, but I have hear that means, your brain needs more oxygen.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Same here I do the same when I work out. I just thought I was tired...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I yawn a lot the rest of the day AFTER an intense cardio workout, especially when I'm driving the bus but that's sheer boredom lol. I never yawn while I'm working out. Maybe you are bored but I would check w a doc to be safe. And maybe get a sleep study done to see if you have apnea, esp if you have asthma...
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Just a heads up, a recent article came out that points to yawning as a way to send cool blood to the brain. So when you are working out and your core is starting to heat up, you may be yawning so that your body can work on cooling itself, mainly the brain and above the shoulders.

Edited to add the link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919171340.htm

I would totally buy this, cause I wake up in the morning and usually by the time I get to work am awake :) But, where I work is terrible about being hot, and it's a physical job, so within an hour I am both sweating like crazy and yawning my head off. Always thought heat was the issue.

Well that just means your brain is trying to cool itself. Which is what the link states is a possibility. If you are sweating, your body is trying to get the cooler blood up there.

Wow...this explains why I yawn a lot on the hot school bus when I'm working! Thanks!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    DITTO. same thing happened to me but it goes away. thank god lol
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    What I've been told:

We yawn when our brains need more oxygen, and not necessarily when we're tired.I would think yawning during workouts is understandable if that is, medically, the case.

I was waiting to see someone mention this. I yawn too. Because the body is needing more oxygen!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    Yawning can be a sign of your body needing oxygen....so you're good. Keep working out. -it's true. Look it up.

Oh, and Yawning is contagious. No one really knows why. If you do..PM me with evidence...YAWN....sorry, couldn't resist.

Yawning is contagious. When I was in 5th grade me and a friend conducted an experiment on our way to Hershey, PA, which is a 3-hr drive from NJ and we wanted to see who the "lead yawner" was. It was me, of course. I'm the stronger personality lol
  • WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I yawn during workouts as well. Seeing the word maes me yawn like 7 times already.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's strange, I've never yawned during a workout that I can think of. Usually breathing like a freight train and my heart rate is about eleventy billion though.