Annoyed with 'obsessed' comments

Options
I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'. Many people (including one today) have told me this is obsessive. I totally disagree - I think it's a commitment. Anyone else experience this 'feedback'?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If I did hear this, it would go in one ear and right out the other because I do this for me and I could care less what anyone else thought about it.. LOL May sound harsh but I am the only one that knows what is best for me..
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just tell them - "Bite me, I'm doing what works for me.".

And by the looks of your ticker - it is working. Wow! 4 lb to go!
  • karibeargirl
    karibeargirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If I did hear this, it would go in one ear and right out the other because I do this for me and I could care less what anyone else thought about it.. LOL May sound harsh but I am the only one that knows what is best for me..
  • mrsbastone
    mrsbastone Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've had a few comments on similar lines. I pretty much blow them off... they just can't understand it until they do it..
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Just today my SIL had it out with me because she and my other SIL, along with "others" say I'm obsessed with calorie counting and exercise. I guess it must drive them crazy that I'm maintaining my thin weight!
  • zitandemanu
    Options
    I absolutely get where you're coming from. There are a lot of great supportive people on this site but as always there are a few bad apples who prefer to be unkind and sarcastic rather than supportive and kind! You know what's best for you so just keep doing what works!:smile:
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    The trick is to just not talk about your workouts to people who are not supportive.

I guess that's part of what bothered me about the comment today - it came from a colleague and friend who was very supportive initially. She is very fit, completed a half marathon lately and works out herself - sometimes as late as 10 pm! I used to travel with her on business, and she would do crunches while waiting for me to get ready. Now I'M obsessed? Strange to me. Thanks for all your comments everyone!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I've heard that you might appreciate: "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."

Love this!!!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Organized, maybe, but not obsessive.
  • wdwithers
    wdwithers Posts: 36
    Options
    I like to get my workout in first thing in the am so it's done and nothing that comes up later in the day throws me off schedule. Depending on my schedule, this may mean getting up at 4 am to 'get er done'. Many people (including one today) have told me this is obsessive. I totally disagree - I think it's a commitment. Anyone else experience this 'feedback'?

Personally, I think it is very smart. I woulldn't call it obsessive if you are working, and busy with other things. Some people, like my mom Gets up in the am around 5 am every morning, gets her coffee, does her devotion showers and dresses leave by 6:45 for work. Then she is there around 7am works all day till around 6:30pm heads home changes, works on dad's business papers, and if she is lucky she crawls into bed between 10pm and 11pm. she has trouble sleeping alot of times, won't take anything and is back up again at 5 am. For her to get from where she parks at work to her office is right at 1.10 miles. She actually measured it and then walks back after work. That is her excercise the only time she has, and then a 45 to 50 mile drive either way. For me, I am at home and to get up before 6 or 7 would be crazy for me, only because my schedule is more flexible. Notice I didn't say less busy. Mostly in the road alot taking care of business or doctor appts.

So, I don't think you are obsessive. But now if you get up and excercise for 2.5 hours to 4 and 5 hours everyday and it was all you can think about and it gets in the way of you living a normal healthy lifestyle, then I think there is a problem.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've gotten up as early as 3:45am for a workout for the same reason as you do...to plan around my schedule. It's dedication not obsession. Also MFP has this really handy thing called the delete button :) get rid of people who don't support you and surround yourseld with those that do! Congrats on your progress!
    Options

Personally, I think it is very smart. I woulldn't call it obsessive if you are working, and busy with other things. Some people, like my mom Gets up in the am around 5 am every morning, gets her coffee, does her devotion showers and dresses leave by 6:45 for work. Then she is there around 7am works all day till around 6:30pm heads home changes, works on dad's business papers, and if she is lucky she crawls into bed between 10pm and 11pm. she has trouble sleeping alot of times, won't take anything and is back up again at 5 am. For her to get from where she parks at work to her office is right at 1.10 miles. She actually measured it and then walks back after work. That is her excercise the only time she has, and then a 45 to 50 mile drive either way. For me, I am at home and to get up before 6 or 7 would be crazy for me, only because my schedule is more flexible. Notice I didn't say less busy. Mostly in the road alot taking care of business or doctor appts.

So, I don't think you are obsessive. But now if you get up and excercise for 2.5 hours to 4 and 5 hours everyday and it was all you can think about and it gets in the way of you living a normal healthy lifestyle, then I think there is a problem.

:smile: No hours for this girl - just a good ole 40 minute JM DVD
    Options
    Thanks - this was from a friend at work - harder to delete :smile:
    Options
    I've gotten up as early as 3:45am for a workout for the same reason as you do...to plan around my schedule. It's dedication not obsession. Also MFP has this really handy thing called the delete button :) get rid of people who don't support you and surround yourseld with those that do! Congrats on your progress!

Whoops forgot to quote :smile:
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I hear you! I will be in the same boat when school begins in a few weeks. I normally get up t 4 am, so being dedicated to my new exercise regime will require me getting up at 3 am....I am so down with it for ME!
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "To achieve success, whatever the job we have, we must pay a price." ~ Lombardi
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone is jealous?????

To be prefectly honest I WISH I could get up in the am and work out but I am just not built that way! I am a night owl. Does it mean what your doing is wrong in my optinion? Hell no, just means it's not right for ME!! This is your journey, do as you may!!!

Congrats on all your hard work. It has defintely paid off!!!

Colette
  • wdwithers
    wdwithers Posts: 36
    Options

:smile: No hours for this girl - just a good ole 40 minute JM DVD

Good for you and keep it up.