How long do you wait after eating to workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I wait 30 minutes to an hour, depending on what I ate and what's on the agenda. As long as you're not cramping or feeling bad, just do what works for you.
  • lovespicyfood
    lovespicyfood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So here's an answer that flies in the face of reason! :)

Sometimes I'll do my 4 1/2 mile run ~ 15 minutes after eating a large dinner. Now mind you, I know this is not recommended AT ALL, but it is what works for me at times. I work during the day and by the time I get home, my wife and daughter are waiting for me to have dinner. Since I'm not a morning workout person, I try to get exercise at night. With added daylight, a quick run is a very efficient for me to burn significant calories. I have a recumbent LifeCycle that I use at times also, but running just feels good and the minimum effort it involves is pretty high, higher than I can naturally push myself on the LIfeCycle...

If one doesn't cramp (which I don't), are there any studies validating this as "good" or "bad" for you?!

Again, I'm not promoting this method, but it's what I have to do sometimes...
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    10 hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Really? You're just going to say something like "10 hours." and list your qualifications without giving any reasoning? You're really saying that if I eat breakfast at 9:00 a.m., I can't work out until 7:00 p.m.? I have to go hungry all day before I'm allowed to exercise? -- That's ludicrous.

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever... perhaps they meant 1 hour???

The question was how long you wait after eating. Not how long you should wait.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    10 hours.

IDEA Fitness member

Really? You're just going to say something like "10 hours." and list your qualifications without giving any reasoning? You're really saying that if I eat breakfast at 9:00 a.m., I can't work out until 7:00 p.m.? I have to go hungry all day before I'm allowed to exercise? -- That's ludicrous.
    Question was how long do "I" wait? Not you. I work out fasted. I eat at 12:00am, go to sleep, get up at 7:00am, then work out at 10:00am. Not ludicrous. You just didn't realize that I work out in the morning.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I can go pretty quickly if I just have a green smoothie. Anything else, and I have to wait at least an hour.
  • mercedproperty1617
    mercedproperty1617 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you ate and how much you ate. So if you keep your meal size down to a moderate size and eat light food. The hour window that your giving yourself between your meal should be fine. But your the only one who can really answer the question, because its your body and should only talk the advise you get from everone as just a guildline. I hope this clear up things for.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    [/quote] quote
    The question was how long you wait after eating. Not how long you should wait.
    [/quote] quote

True, she did ask that, but she elaborated to add:

"I've been waiting about an hour after breakfast to work out....wondering if that's enough time for my food to digest or should I be waiting a little longer?"

Just seems to me that someone who takes the time to list a long string of "qualifications" might have better used some of that time to read the entire post and discover the core question before giving a flippant, two-word answer with no backup.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily like to work out first thing in the morning but sometimes that's all my schedule will allow for. I have to eat breakfast in the morning or I cannot function.

I've been waiting about an hour after breakfast to work out....wondering if that's enough time for my food to digest or should I be waiting a little longer?

I also drink hot water with lemon upon waking so I'm hoping that helps get the digestive process going a little sooner than later!

if it's not right for you you'll know... sometimes if i don't wait long enough, i just feel sluggish, other times i feel like throwing up. your body will tell you. for me it's 1-2 hours depending on the size/content of the meal...
  • sudhama1447
    sudhama1447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually wait between 60-75 mins
  • sudhama1447
    sudhama1447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Again, if its a very light snack then may be 15 mins is fine. But if its a decent meal say a veggie salad then yeah, 60-75.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I usually wait about an hour or so.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Just seems to me that someone who takes the time to list a long string of "qualifications" might have better used some of that time to read the entire post and discover the core question before giving a flippant, two-word answer with no backup.
    You're just miffed that I can wait 10 hours.:laugh: If asked I can elaborate. It got you to read the post and not skim over it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options

You're just miffed that I can wait 10 hours.:laugh: If asked I can elaborate. It got you to read the post and not skim over it.

IDEA Fitness member

I have not qualifications except that i am me and it asked how long i wait so i am guessing it is poll of sorts so. I wait about 9 to 9 and 1/2 hours. I eat at 5am go to bed at 630am and get up 300pm and work out at 330pm.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I have not qualifications except that i am me and it asked how long i wait so i am guessing it is poll of sorts so. I wait about 9 to 9 and 1/2 hours. I eat at 5am go to bed at 630am and get up 300pm and work out at 330pm.
    See, I'm not the only one!

IDEA Fitness member
  • kanobikkdd
    Options
    here's a simple answer: small meals 1 hour or so and big meals 2 hours or so... i ate baked salmon started working out at about 45 mins and after that, got so light headed and breathing heavily.. when i burped i realize i didnt digest properly and that when u eat u should stand to digest. told my self to wait longer before working out..