Do you count fruits and veggies??

Options
I did Weight Watchers for a quick bit and I know they don't count fruit and veggies, just wondering if people here count them? It seems like I count them and all my calories are gone!

Replies

• essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yep, I count them - calories are calories.... a lot of fruit has a lot of natural sugar so those tend to be on the high side. But just think, you're getting more bang for your buck when you consume fruits and vegetables - at least they won't be empty calories.
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Definitely count them. Particularly fruit calories can add up quickly. Calories are calories no matter where they come from. Though its really great that so many of yours comes from fruits/veggies!
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think not counting fruit is a major flaw of weight watchers... veggies I can kind of understand. I count eveything I eat, even if it's just an after dinner mint or stick of gum. Calories are calories.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I count everything.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You need to count every single calorie that enters your mouth. If your over your a certain calorie amount even if you just eat fruits and vegetables your still going to gain weight.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes, count everything. Veges should be a major part of your daily intake...
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't know why weight watchers does that?? They keep changing rules?? My friend at work does WW and eats strawberries all all day long. Lots of them. Then wonders why she doesn't lose? I know you ate like gallons of dang strawberries. "oh but they don't count" is what I get told??? :/
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    They are food.. and you are eating them. Aside from some meat, my entire diet is fruit and veggies and a little cheese.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, count it.

Carbs and sugar can add up with fruits and veggies.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I count them in my calorie count. I count everything, including vegetables. There are no "free" foods. BUT -- I do not count them toward my sugar goals since they are a natural sugar.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    short answer: Yes!

Long answer: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    WW says servings 5 a day of fruits and veggies so you can't have an unlimited amount.
  • askevindombchik
    Options
    :smile: I would say yes and no I did the same program like lettuce is a waste to count same with onions and such unless you eat pounds of it. Fruits yes high in sugar and calories but fruits like strawberrys are great but in turn pinapple and watermelon can bite you :)
  • Lizajane42
    Lizajane42 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also think it is important to count them so that you can get a good idea of if you are eating enough fiber! Seems silly, but if I don't strive to get fiber, I am SUPER low on it!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When Weight Watchers made fruits and veggies no-point foods, they added point values to everything else. It's a gimmick to encourage people to eat more fruits and veggies. No problem there, but straight calorie counting doesn't do that, so I would say do WW or MFP, but not both. I count every calorie here.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. Fruits and veggies have calories, so they get mixed into the equation.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    yes because i count carbs, not calories.

a cup of sugary fruit is a far cry from a cup of zucchini.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have to track them particularly some fruit like cherries which are a binge trigger food for me :( same w/ grapes, sighhhhhh
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    WW is built around a different model.
    Here, we count all.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    And that is why I do not like the current Weight Watchers program! I did WW before and lost 60 lbs. I gained it all back because of poor choices and having surgery (I eat when bored, and when you go from working 50-60 hours a week to sitting in bed all day, you get super bored!). When I joined again back in 2010, I found it was not working for me at all.

Definitely count those fruits and veggies! 1200 calories worth of apples is still 1200 calories! They aren't invisible to your body and do add up!