Do you count fruits and veggies??

Options

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, I count it.

In my mind I VALUE fruit and veggies higher than oreos, but they all have calories so they all get logged.

:ohwell:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Added to what everyone else has said, I log everything because I want to keep track of my nutrition. . . I look carefully at my vitamins, etc. at the end of the day to make sure I am getting the right nutrients. If I did't log all my food, I wouldn't know. To me, that is one of the flaws of Weight Watchers. They just talk about points, but they don't really teach users to know about balanced nutrition.
  • NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I log them all - but it's not all about just tracking the sugar and calories. I like to know how much fiber and protein I'm getting and some fruits give a lot more than others.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    WW factors in not counting veggies/fruit. MFP is a different plan. Don't mix and match the parts you like best and expect success - either follow one or the other. I count them!
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did WW, during the bridge beween fruit going from not free to free... Calling fruit "free" is an over simplification of what they're getting at. Free =/= unlimited. That said, I track ALL my fruits and veggies (did while on WW too) cuz I like to look back and see how much I'm eating on average.

And yeah, flaw of WW, the whole process teaches you about balanced nutrition, but the tracking system doesn't really help you break it down.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think WW is just under so much pressure to come up with now 'diet systems' to sell to people, some of what they practice is just nonsense. You cant tell me you can eat a dozen potatoes and not log it because they are vegetables.

Calories in vs calories out. Eat it = log it.

oh and LOL at taunto. Nice one!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log....fruits, veggies and all!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Yup a calorie is a calorie. I log everything I put into my mouth even a piece of gum.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    That's why should should count them, because they use up about 200-300 calories. Not only will you be more successful, you'll see your vitamin and potassium intake go up. These fight cancer and high blood pressure, they're so essential and not to be skipped. If you don't want to count them, you probably won't get in as much as you should, your count won't be accurate, you won't have a good overall view of your nutrition. You might be taking more vitamins than you actually need.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Less because I'm worried about the cals they add and more because I want to log everything and be able to see how many fruits/veggies a day I'm eating, total fiber, etc.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I most definitely count them. They make up the majority of my diet.

Calories are calories and they add up quickly.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Fruit - yes, always. Every bit of it.

Veggies - not all. I count the starchy ones and ones with more sugar - carrots, potatoes, corn (which is really a grain, I know), tomatoes.
    I don't count dark greens like spinach or kale.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, definitely count them. :) But you can incorporate the 'free veggie and fruit' idea if you liked that with WW better. Just set your calorie goal for 400-500 calories less and log your other food groups.
  • scorpio16nov
    Options
    Yup. I count everything. I have missed out on days since I've been away from the computer. This site keeps me honest.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers for a quick bit and I know they don't count fruit and veggies, just wondering if people here count them? It seems like I count them and all my calories are gone!

BUT, WW also gives very big disclaimers (at least my leaders did) and warnings about not eating too many fruits. Since the are free now many people were figuring they could eat as much fruit as they wanted, and because of the sugar in fruit, that's just not the case. I heard over and over and over that if you are eating all of your points AND lots of fruit (like all fruit/no veggies) you wouldn't lose weight.

On WW they are free, but only to a point.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You cant tell me you can eat a dozen potatoes and not log it because they are vegetables.

Potatoes and other starchy veggies are not "free" on WW. Please know what you're talking about before posting things that just aren't true.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't know why weight watchers does that?? They keep changing rules?? My friend at work does WW and eats strawberries all all day long. Lots of them. Then wonders why she doesn't lose? I know you ate like gallons of dang strawberries. "oh but they don't count" is what I get told??? :/

WW wants to be a "fad" and marketable - they care more about $ than our health ...mind body and soul happiness is much more than a quick fix of forking out money and attending meetings.

I say that not really judging anyone that finds WW helpful - there are some good point to their programs - but I think as a unit they are greedy and ultimately want the public's money.

Can I get an AMEN?????????????
  • Kalynx
    Options
    You cant tell me you can eat a dozen potatoes and not log it because they are vegetables.

Potatoes and other starchy veggies are not "free" on WW. Please know what you're talking about before posting things that just aren't true.

good point - but the message is confusing as a whole and you have to pay money weekly or really do your homework to understand why......and sometimes people want a quick fix rather than educating themselves.

again - i am not posting this as judgement in a negative way towards anyone that finds weight watchers helpful. :)
  • Kalynx
    Options
    That's why should should count them, because they use up about 200-300 calories. Not only will you be more successful, you'll see your vitamin and potassium intake go up. These fight cancer and high blood pressure, they're so essential and not to be skipped. If you don't want to count them, you probably won't get in as much as you should, your count won't be accurate, you won't have a good overall view of your nutrition. You might be taking more vitamins than you actually need.

right on sistah!
  • marvelscale
    marvelscale Posts: 135
    Options
    Yep - and I love potatoes and spinach, high in potassium so it's important to log those!