Anyone have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor?

Options

Replies

• alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The FT4f in pink is currently on sale on Amazon for $64.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M1P85O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Yah that is the purple looking one :( The "pink" one is here but I am not sure if the picture is just off or whatnot. That is why I was asking for someone who has the ft4 and can verify that the color is actually pink not purple. This says they are both the same color but it doesn't look the same at all. I am being picky I know! :)

pink one (but it says pink/purple)
    http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Water-Resistant-Heart-Watch/dp/B0084EI2B8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1343763234&sr=8-16&keywords=polar+heart+rate+ft4

pink/purple one that you posted....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M1P85O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    FT40 - love it.
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is sometimes a problem with the FT4 compared to the FT7 as far as accuracy. Is this true? I would be the only one in the house using a HRM. But we do have the other standard electronic stuff like multiple televisions, satellite, multiple computers, smart phones, etc. Would it be smarter to invest about 10 dollars more for the FT7?
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have the FT 4. It's great!

alexis, I have the pink one, and it looks like your top picture.

Yah! Thank you!!! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is sometimes a problem with the FT4 compared to the FT7 as far as accuracy. Is this true? I would be the only one in the house using a HRM. But we do have the other standard electronic stuff like multiple televisions, satellite, multiple computers, smart phones, etc. Would it be smarter to invest about 10 dollars more for the FT7?

They use the same air interface/protocol for sending data to the watch. Wouldn't matter.

Different straps perhaps, one more prone to getting dirty or rather not cleaning well enough. or getting more static electricity built up easier.
    That seems to be the total cloth bands with that potential.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7, it is great.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    FT7

Love it. Real easy to use.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Yes. FT6 with chest strap
  • mysterysilk
    Options
    I, like many ohers in here, have the FT4 and I really do love it. It's so comfortable. I was a little hesitant about the chest strap but you really can't feel it, even when you're doing ab work or something where youre crunching.
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    yes, i have the FT7 and love love it!! it's def worth the investment, happy shopping :happy:
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4. I loved it. For a month or so, it worked perfectly. Now, it drives me nuts because it has a hard time picking up my heart rate, there is a serious lag, it does weird things like jumping to an extremely high/low number, etc. I'm going to try changing the battery, and hope for the best.

I have this problem if I don't wet the band with some water first. Just the grey, thicker part! Hope that helps!

And I love my FT4! Makes me push harder to get that calorie burn!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have the FT60. I love it.. It has a built in training program as well as a fitness test so I can get a more accurate calculation of calorie burn.

For weightlifting I would look into the FT80 if I were you. It has specific programing for that. I didn't even notice that model when I had ordered the FT60 otherwise I probably would have gone with that. Check out bodytronics.com for great prices.
  • thecrass
    thecrass Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    From everyone on MFP's advice i got a polar one i was going to get the FT4 but ended up getting the FT7 and its fantastic and gives you a far more accurate workup of your cals and fitness than the monitors on gym equipment & on MFP i read reviews of many others and many of them had the issue of loosing sync with the band and become inaccurate .

so to sum up stick with POLAR :-)
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like my FT7, it's very helpful.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So, I have the FT4. Does this mean I cannot use it to calculate calories burned when I'm weight training?
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the FT60. I love it.. It has a built in training program as well as a fitness test so I can get a more accurate calculation of calorie burn.

For weightlifting I would look into the FT80 if I were you. It has specific programing for that. I didn't even notice that model when I had ordered the FT60 otherwise I probably would have gone with that. Check out bodytronics.com for great prices.

So, I have the FT4. Does this mean I cannot use it to calculate calories burned when I'm weight training?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have the FT 4 and I love it, still trying to figure out how to input data into their website though
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

No. In fact the majority of HRM's don't actually handle any activity outside of steady-state aerobic zone HR for anything close to accurate calorie burn estimates.

So that means steady-state aerobic in range of around 90-160 depending on your range.
    Too low is not aerobic, so inflated values. So you can't just wear it all day.
    Too high doing weights or intervals is also inflated as that is anaerobic. And while it is a high HR, it wasn't obtained aerobically.
    At least with intervals the recovery time will be decent.

Garmins and Suunto that use Firstbeat algorithms and that Polar model are it for weight lifting or intervals.

Here is site with study from Polar indicating that.
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I'll mention the Garmin gave calorie burn estimate about 1/3 to 1/4 what Polar said for weight lifting efforts.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options

No. In fact the majority of HRM's don't actually handle any activity outside of steady-state aerobic zone HR for anything close to accurate calorie burn estimates.

So that means steady-state aerobic in range of around 90-160 depending on your range.
    Too low is not aerobic, so inflated values. So you can't just wear it all day.
    Too high doing weights or intervals is also inflated as that is anaerobic. And while it is a high HR, it wasn't obtained aerobically.
    At least with intervals the recovery time will be decent.

Garmins and Suunto that use Firstbeat algorithms and that Polar model are it for weight lifting or intervals.

Here is site with study from Polar indicating that.
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

I'll mention the Garmin gave calorie burn estimate about 1/3 to 1/4 what Polar said for weight lifting efforts.

So the FT 60 does calculate weight training?