More things you should NEVER do in Office Email

Options

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Using Bible quotes in your signature.
    Agree. Does not belong in the workplace. Save that stuff for your own time.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Don't use any smiley faces, frowny faces, etc. My boss hates them.

Oh and DO make sure you are actually sending the email to the right person. This one has screwed me a couple of times!

Oh dude...Me too! Talk about wanting to climb under your desk!!!
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Cannot say enough....make sure you are sending to the right person. A long time ago (in a different life. lol) I was sending an email to a coworker complaining about something my boss did,,,,well I put my boss's name in to the to field. I guess because I was thinking about her. Yeah, not nice. It was a FML kind of day!
  • caitlinmottl
    Options
    Double check before you use "reply all"
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Don't use pictures of your puppies or kittens in your signature! Cute, but so unprofessional.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My rules that I have used since I started using e-mail

Never write it in an e-mail if you would never say it face to face.

Never e-mail when you can walk to their office and tell them.

Never use reply all, that way you can't screw it up.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have actually received an e-mail using "WTF" in the body. Real professional!! Oh and bad grammar and misspellings by people getting paid triple what I do. You have a MBA and can't write a gramatically correct sentence??
  • SlvrFlame
    SlvrFlame Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Like the word "DOCK" for instance.

Example:
    "this authorization is for the construction of a 4' by 250' DOCK, with a 6' by 20' terminal platform.

As luck would have it, the i is right next to the O

I work in a shipping office and I've done this numerous times. Luckily I've always caught myself! So far, at least.

I have to agree with the double checking of EVERYTHING. Too many times I've read e-mails from supervisors, higher ups, etc that have all kinds of spelling errors and run-on sentences from hell.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    Cannot say enough....make sure you are sending to the right person. A long time ago (in a different life. lol) I was sending an email to a coworker complaining about something my boss did,,,,well I put my boss's name in to the to field. I guess because I was thinking about her. Yeah, not nice. It was a FML kind of day!

ouch, that sucks :(

i replied to the wrong email in my inbox once - meant to dash off a quick note to someone about a meeting, and responded to the department listserv instead - argh. the coordinator promptly told me to "take private messages off the listserv."

i was highly amused when, a few months later, the coordinator responded accidentally to a listserv message instead of a private email. i was sooooo tempted to say something. (i refrained.)
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Just got one like this from a guy 20 years my senior:

"
    Awsome!

ps. how do [question]? - do I require more than a beard? tee hee..

Smiles,
    [name]
    "
    ...don't do any of that.

That is CREEPY! I'm an old guy and cannot stand these old guys I work with who try to act 20 and constantly flirt with the young girls. I feel like yelling "You're not sexy, she's just being nice because that's the way people should treat each other"
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Can we extend number 3 to phone calls? I've got "cube neighbors" that call each other to talk. less than 10ft from each other and they CALL!!!!! OMG...and it's not just them...there are lots.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Never send an e-mail that you are not ready to publicly stand up in front of the world and read.
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    Ahhhhhh... How about closing your email with XOXOXOXO??? Yep, I've seen it. :noway:
  • doriyoung
    doriyoung Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Never edit someone's message and then forward it. My former manager does this.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Actually seen an e-mail out from the vice president that just said "thx guys" couldn't even type it up proper. lol.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Spell Checker mother f'er! Use it.

Also be careful when copying from a clipboard and pasting into an e-mail that you don't accidentally paste an image that was meant for one of your sexy mfp friends.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Use the phrase (for example): "Please contact Bob or myself"

You can't contact MYSELF! If you take Bob out of the phrase you wouldn't say "Please contact myself", you'd say "Please contact ME".
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    - Dont type like this: PLease invoice.. Client Name For engagement .... and EMail it to me By Noon.
    - Dont type anything you wouldnt want the entire firm to know
    - Smileys and text talk
    - Reply All. Ever.

Im sure Ive got more but I cant remember the rest right now.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    Don't mass email "inspiring" 15 minute long powerpoint slide shows filled with stock-footage nature scenes and glib reflections on life, love, puppies, etc., ESPECIALLY if that slide show contains some sappy auto-play musak that starts blasting out of multiple co-workers monitor speakers the second they click it. Just. Do. Not.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with that one. I don't need people walking into my office unannounced, interrupting me 20 times a day to tell me something that could have been emailed. Plus, if you email me, I have it right there, documented, and I can refer back to it. If you just tell me, I have to write it down myself and track it.