Starting the day with breakfast??

Options
I have never been one for breakfast normally because I am running late but have been trying to make sure I have something in the morning recently.

The problem is when I eat breakfast say around 7:30am by the time it gets to lunch I am really hungry to the point I think about snacking. When I didn't eat breakfast I could go all day without eating but I would normally eat loads between dinner and bed.

Is anyone else like this or just me lol, I know eating in the morning makes sence but food seems to be on my mind all day after it.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. You don't have to eat breakfast, lots of people don't. Your reasoning is sensible and is what works for you.
    As long as you stay within a calorie allotment, you can eat whenever you want.

That old "Eat breakfast" and "eat five times a day" is all dieting myth.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think in your particular case you should not eat breakfast.

Your meal timing and frequency should be dictated by personal preference and gym performance. Since not eating breakfast makes it easier for you to stick to your calorie goal (at least that's what I'm getting from your post), you should do that.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    While I agree that breakfast isn't necessary if you aren't hungry, I personally think it is ok to snack between breakfast and lunch because that is what works for me. So, if you should happen to wake up hungry and want breakfast, don't sweat it if you get hungry and snack before lunch because there truly is nothing wrong with that method either!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options

Your meal timing and frequency should be dictated by personal preference and gym performance. Since not eating breakfast makes it easier for you to stick to your calorie goal (at least that's what I'm getting from your post), you should do that.
    Listen to this man!
  • tripn404
    tripn404 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Of course you are hungrier by lunch because you started your metabolism by eating breakfast!... When you don't eat breakfast at all you don't start your metabolism and that's why you don't feel as hungry. If you have a weight loss goal this is a bad habit. I would have a light snack between your breakfast and lunch times... either that or eat half your breakfast at breakfast and the other half two hours later then you will be able to last til lunch. Which ever you choose your body adapt to your eating habits if you keep them consistent. Be Consistent! Be healthy! hope this helps :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a phase where I never eat breakfast, I feel the same... Until lunch is there, I'm fine.

But lately, I'd become accustomed to eating breakfast and find I can't go without. If I do, I feel crabby, hungry, etc. But I simply don't have time (I hate mornings), so I've started eating a hard boiled egg and I'm perfect until lunch.

I think it's often what you're used to and how you feel. But as SS said... If it works fine for you to not eat until lunch, then by all means, don't eat until lunch.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    received wisdom says that you should eat breakfast, largest meal,

and then eat small meals during the day - you do not have to be tied to breakfast, lunch and dinner. 4,5,6,8 meals of small size are just fine.

Then I have seen diets that like you to fast from going to bed till about 3 hours before going to bed again - for me that would be

eat at 7pm everyday. No more than 300 calories during the day. I haven't tried it, goes against everything that you are supposed to believe but I believe hunter gatherers used to eat but once a day and that was just before sunset.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Of course you are hungrier by lunch because you started your metabolism by eating breakfast!... When you don't eat breakfast at all you don't start your metabolism and that's why you don't feel as hungry. If you have a weight loss goal this is a bad habit. I would have a light snack between your breakfast and lunch times... either that or eat half your breakfast at breakfast and the other half two hours later then you will be able to last til lunch. Which ever you choose your body adapt to your eating habits if you keep them consistent. Be Consistent! Be healthy! hope this helps :)

Your metabolism does not start and stop. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • elainealston1
    Options
    I did have the same problem. If I ate cereat for breakfast I was hungry by 10:00. A piece of whole wheat 45 cal. toast with hoop cheese melted under the broiler (5 min.) worked best for me and I mix up Barley Green with Acai pomagranite / blueberry juice and that helps to hold me. I am not longer having problems so I am changing up now. I stay prepared with fruit and veggies in plastic bags ready to go in the fridge. I keep cantalope in a plastic container and if I have to leave in a hurry I throw it in the car with me to eat while I am on my way. Some people might say this is a bad idea, but it works for me and I am determined to get this FAT off and get healthy. Good luck to ya!!!
  • odusgolp
    Options

The problem here is that your metabolism doesn't stop when you're sleeping or... anything other than dead. So you don't really need to "start" it :wink:
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Your metabolism is not a car. It does not need a "kickstart" in the morning. Some people do great eating breakfast, others don't need breakfast.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

and then eat small meals during the day - you do not have to be tied to breakfast, lunch and dinner. 4,5,6,8 meals of small size are just fine.

Then I have seen diets that like you to fast from going to bed till about 3 hours before going to bed again - for me that would be

eat at 7pm everyday. No more than 300 calories during the day. I haven't tried it, goes against everything that you are supposed to believe but I believe hunter gatherers used to eat but once a day and that was just before sunset.

No it does not.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Who is this "received wisdom" person?? Because you don't need to do any of that.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Ditto... and I usually I don't eat it either. Unless by some miracle I am actually hungry. Which today I was so I did. Usually if I eat too early it makes me over eat later too. Ikk. Do what you feel your body needs.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I did have the same problem. If I ate cereat for breakfast I was hungry by 10:00. A piece of whole wheat 45 cal. toast with hoop cheese melted under the broiler (5 min.) worked best for me and I mix up Barley Green with Acai pomagranite / blueberry juice and that helps to hold me. I am not longer having problems so I am changing up now. I stay prepared with fruit and veggies in plastic bags ready to go in the fridge. I keep cantalope in a plastic container and if I have to leave in a hurry I throw it in the car with me to eat while I am on my way. Some people might say this is a bad idea, but it works for me and I am determined to get this FAT off and get healthy. Good luck to ya!!!

I don't think this is a bad idea and anyone who says so probably doesn't know what they're talking about. If it works for you and fits your macros, go for it.
  • alexis831
    Options

Uh no and no and NO! Who is this the wisdom of a 2 year old named Received?????
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agreed!! Everyone is different and there is no such thing as meal frequency just make sure you are hitting your calorie goals for that day... I am totally different than you I eat over 3400 calories a day and am a Type 2 Diabetic so I eat Breakfast upon waking do to my overnight fasting and low blood sugar but you have to do what works best for you.... Best of Luck...
  • sbedwards1077
    sbedwards1077 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • alexis831
    Options

HAH! Here is another NO!

You don’t start your metabolism by eating. You are more hungry later because your levels are higher in the morning and it causes your body to react to food differently. It actually freaks out my system and makes me eat more usually if I eat breakfast. It doesn’t magically make you burn more because it magically jump starts your metabolism!! We are not cars! Unicorns don't make are metabolism get jump started either! Shesh people. It takes 60 hours to go into starvation mode! 60 hours not 12 not even 24 hours! 60!!! You can eat 1 meal a day or 10! Do what you want and you like!

Here is the info about your levels and what it does to your body and why you are hungrier if you eat breakfast. If it works for you to eat breakfast then great! But stop telling people it "jump starts" your metabolism!

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Dont force yourself to eat breakfast. There is no reason to eat when you first get up. I never feel like eating before I have been up for hours. Just get your calories in and try to meet your macro and micro nutrient needs when you do eat.