Starting the day with breakfast??

Options

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think in your particular case you should not eat breakfast.

Your meal timing and frequency should be dictated by personal preference and gym performance. Since not eating breakfast makes it easier for you to stick to your calorie goal (at least that's what I'm getting from your post), you should do that.

Ditto... and I usually I don't eat it either. Unless by some miracle I am actually hungry. Which today I was so I did. Usually if I eat too early it makes me over eat later too. Ikk. Do what you feel your body needs.

I'm the exact same way. If I eat a big breakfast, even if it's healthy, I actually find myself eating more throughout the day. If I do eat I stick to something small like a hard boiled egg or piece of fruit.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually have a piece of fruit for breakfast on the go at work. If I have anything bigger I am absolutely starving all morning!
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    received wisdom says that you should eat breakfast, largest meal,

and then eat small meals during the day - you do not have to be tied to breakfast, lunch and dinner. 4,5,6,8 meals of small size are just fine.

Then I have seen diets that like you to fast from going to bed till about 3 hours before going to bed again - for me that would be

eat at 7pm everyday. No more than 300 calories during the day. I haven't tried it, goes against everything that you are supposed to believe but I believe hunter gatherers used to eat but once a day and that was just before sunset.

Uh no and no and NO! Who is this the wisdom of a 2 year old named Received?????

good grief, with the power of google two people demonstrate inability to look up - received wisdom as an idiom.

Hilarious, with such research ability one should really trust their advise.

I will be laughing all the way to the Gore Vidal bank.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+received+wisdom

Now you two, go and try to belittle someone else.
  • MrJamsieboi
    Options
    Thanks for the responses going to read the articles posted and decide what is best for me, eating breakfast just doesn't feel natural to me.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that everyone is different. I have to eat breakfast or else I turn into the Hulk. If you weren't eating breakfast and were overweight you may want to consider that being part of your problem. It is WAY better to eat the bulk of your calories in the first half of the day. So if you eat at 7:30am and a snack at 10am then lunch at noon you probably won't need to eat again until dinner.
    Long story short...If whatever you were doing before led you to being overweight then don't do it now... Just my 2 cents :)
    I have never been one for breakfast normally because I am running late but have been trying to make sure I have something in the morning recently.

The problem is when I eat breakfast say around 7:30am by the time it gets to lunch I am really hungry to the point I think about snacking. When I didn't eat breakfast I could go all day without eating but I would normally eat loads between dinner and bed.

Is anyone else like this or just me lol, I know eating in the morning makes sence but food seems to be on my mind all day after it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    received wisdom says that you should eat breakfast, largest meal,

and then eat small meals during the day - you do not have to be tied to breakfast, lunch and dinner. 4,5,6,8 meals of small size are just fine.

Then I have seen diets that like you to fast from going to bed till about 3 hours before going to bed again - for me that would be

eat at 7pm everyday. No more than 300 calories during the day. I haven't tried it, goes against everything that you are supposed to believe but I believe hunter gatherers used to eat but once a day and that was just before sunset.

Uh no and no and NO! Who is this the wisdom of a 2 year old named Received?????

good grief, with the power of google two people demonstrate inability to look up - received wisdom as an idiom.

Hilarious, with such research ability one should really trust their advise.

I will be laughing all the way to the Gore Vidal bank.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+received+wisdom

Now you two, go and try to belittle someone else.

*snicker* you're fun :flowerforyou:
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've never been one much for eating breakfast. I tend to skip it or have it very late in the morning. It's all calories in vs. calories out and the timing of meals doesn't play a role. I'm living proof this works. 113 down in one year.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It is WAY better to eat the bulk of your calories in the first half of the day.

Based on what?
  • strongandhealthy78
    strongandhealthy78 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you and I eat breakfast, usually with a lot of protein in it such as egg beaters, cheese, and toast. Then, I eat a snack a few hours later, often after working out or after some hours at work. Otherwise, I tend to not be hungry and then, several hours later, it's like "BAM!!!! I'm starving!!" and I spend the rest of the day eating more than had I just eaten breakfast and had a snack later on in the day (pre-lunch). Eating at regular intervals tends to help me a lot!
    All the best to you,
    Abi :flowerforyou:
    PS I'm following the advice of my nutritionist at a doctor and nutritionist-supervised medical weight loss program at Cedars Sinai in LA. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Weight-Loss-Center/Weight-Management-Program.aspx

Please help me conquer my goal of $1,001 for the SD AIDS Walk. (Hope it's ok to put this here.) Every bit helps. http://events.thecentersd.org/site/TR/Events/General?px=1037155&pg=personal&fr_id=1050
  • jamers3111
    Options
    It is WAY better to eat the bulk of your calories in the first half of the day.

Based on what?

Based on the fact that he admitted to eating late in the day after not eating all day long and now he's overweight. I'm just suggesting he do what is opposite of what he's been doing. If it doesn't work it doesn't work but obviously he needs to change something.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've never been one much for eating breakfast. I tend to skip it or have it very late in the morning. It's all calories in vs. calories out and the timing of meals doesn't play a role. I'm living proof this works. 113 down in one year.
  • jamers3111
    Options
    I agree with the cals in/out totally and do not plan my meals accordingly... HOWEVER he asked for advice and if this is what he's been doing all these years and he is overweight shouldn't he try to change it to see if that works? I was just offering my 2 cents since no one seemd to grasp the fact that his not eating until late in the day had some part in his struggle.
  • jsh833
    jsh833 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Every nutritionist I have ever spoken with has always said breakfast is important. EVERY SINGLE ONE! You wouldn't send a child to school without breakfast. Give yourself a little TLC too

I was told to have a piece of fruit and/or some peanut butter toast (something with protein) in the morning, drink lots of water, have a little snack around 11, then a big lunch packed with lean protein whenever I get off work (typically 230).

Fruit is an easy breakfast bc it requires no preperation. Grab it as you're sprinting out the door, eat it during your commute to work. Water with lemon is my go-to staving off hunger staple.
  • jamers3111
    Options
    And BTW I have always eaten breakfast and have never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    And BTW I have always eaten breakfast and have never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.

I've skipped breakfast for the past 15 years and never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper"
  • jamers3111
    Options

I've skipped breakfast for the past 15 years and never been overweight... maybe there is something to that... maybe there isn't.

See! You helped me make my point. There's no telling :)
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

See! You helped me make my point. There's no telling :)

Indeed but I'm all for eat when your body's (not you!) hungry. If you don't wake up hungry, don't eat. No one's body is dumb enough to show no hunger signs when it needs nutrients.
  • marissa4354
    Options
    Of course you are hungrier by lunch because you started your metabolism by eating breakfast!... When you don't eat breakfast at all you don't start your metabolism and that's why you don't feel as hungry. If you have a weight loss goal this is a bad habit. I would have a light snack between your breakfast and lunch times... either that or eat half your breakfast at breakfast and the other half two hours later then you will be able to last til lunch. Which ever you choose your body adapt to your eating habits if you keep them consistent. Be Consistent! Be healthy! hope this helps :)

Agreed!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wake up and straight to eat after my shower etc...

Then around 11/12 a snack, 2/3 lunch, 5 a snack before training and then 7/8 dinner...

I do agree I am more hungry when I do eat, but like today, I added everything in because I am trying to NOT measure or add anything in and see how it goes, and I see I have under 1000 calories net yet ate close to 1700... Reason? Training, and I trained only a little... Sundays are my big days, and on Sundays I burn anything from 900 calories to 1800 calories maybe more depending on what is happening...

I know for instance later this month, the run I have on 25th (?) I will likely burn somewhere close to 3500 calories, if not a bit more...

So my reason? Breakfast helps boost my liver and muscle glycogen stores as we use those fairly quick and fast and can only store so much in a certain time that this helps it.

I could go without breakfast, but I think people shouldn't if they are training for long distances etc... It just doesn't make sense to deny your muscles the fuel it needs...

That is whole issue, do you need the fuel, are you worried about it... if not, then who cares if you have breakfast or not, if you do care, then have... it really does help...