Obesity is caused by too much sugar not ingesting fat!

Options
1235»

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My obesity was caused by just plain eating too much -- not solely because of sugar (I still eat sugar and I've lost weight), not because I ate too much fat (I still have fat in my diet), not because of soda, or ice cream or whatever.. It was because I ate more calories than I burned.

I still eat the things I enjoy but I eat them in smaller portions and yes, this includes *gasp* SUGAR! I don't do well on a low carb/high protein diet and have been told by my doctor that I need to be careful with too much protein as I have a history of some kidney issues.

It is like I ALWAYS say - to each their own. Do what works for you, but PLEASE.. stop telling me why *I* was fat. I KNOW why I was fat. And please.. stop trying to convince me that YOUR way of doing things is the ONLY way, the BEST way and everything else is wrong.

Yes, you consumed too much, but WHY? Did you set out to be fat? Of course not. Did I? No.

Why, when you saw you were getting bigger why did you not just adjust back? I didn't either.

What if specific things that you consumed had a fundamental effect on how your body dealt with them? Not just 'too much of everything'.

What if those specific things are also the key to returning to a healthy weight? Not just 'eating less and exercising more'.

What if it isn't just about energy?

How does creating a xxxxx calorie deficit help optimum weight loss if your body does not want to burn fat? It doesn't.

We should sort the metabolism out first then worry about any kind of fairyland 3500 calorie/1lb of fat fantasy (which will not work consistantly even with a fully working metabolism).

Focussing on calories as the be all and end all is doing ourselves a disservice and just creating false hope for long term weight management.

And there is another wall of text, sorry short attention span people :)

Guess what, according to MFP I should be getting fatter. A calorie is not a calorie people.. not for some of us anyway. I regularly eat between 1700 and 2200 calories (according to MFP) but I am losing weight.... Why? Because my carbs are restricted (note I said restricted not cut out) to 39 per day. Am I a 6' strapping, active athlete? No, I'm a short, moderately active 50yr old menopausal woman! So if a calorie's a calorie how does that work?

Also, if it's all about calories in/calories out, please explain "plateaus" to me. I don't mean the kind of plateau that comes from people not being honest about what they are really eating. I mean the kind of plateau that happens when you are still doing the exact same things you were doing in the beginning, still creating a daily calorie deficit, but your body stops losing weight. If it's just calories in/calories out, you should never hit a plateau. Yes, the eat less burn more approach is a big part of weight loss, but, I'm sorry, I just think consistent, long term weight loss is far more complicated for some people. Particularly those who have more than 50lbs to lose. You can quote all the studies and research and medical "facts" you want, the truth is, smart as these researchers and medical professionals are, sometimes they get it wrong. That's why the health and fitness and medical communities are always changing.

I've lost over 50lbs. I've kept it off for nearly 2 years. I don't pay much attention to what studies say or this article or whatever. I did a lot of research at first, but I freely admit.. I threw a lot of it away. A lot of stuff out there is useless. That being said, a lot of us make weight loss far more complicated than it needs to be too.

Plateaus happen because the body becomes more efficient. It adapts to the changes you've made and it begins to function in a more efficient manner. When that happens, you have to figure out what it wants in order to get things going again. For me, because I went from barely active to VERY active - I upped my calories and I lost weight again. I wasn't eating enough to fuel the workouts (and my job).

That's exactly my point. If weight loss were truly simply a matter of calories in/calories out, plateaus shouldn't happen at all....PERIOD. My point was that plateaus are an indication that there is a much bigger picture than just "eat less, exercise more".
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Can't believe how many people are believing this stuff they are pushing to the public! Seriously! I am just going to re-post what I posted yesterday. Wish people would stop spreading around things like the sugar or whatever made me fat. Its all about how much you eat.

If you guys looked at my diet you would crap your pants at the amount of candy bars and ice cream I consume in a week/day. Its calories in and calories out not sugar or carbs or protein, seriously stop posting lies. Think I am on twix bar #6, little debbie #5 for this last week and I stopped counting how many cookies I ingested or ice cream because I ran out of fingers and toes to count them on (typing as I finish my chocolate chip mint ice cream). Oww I also ate 5 chocolate chip cookies Sunday not including the 4 snickerdoodles I ingested! Oh and donuts... had 2 of those last Thursday & Friday and yesterday and today and taco bell and wendy's owww and 4 strawberry shortcakes. Mmm. The only thing healthy I ate today was the sausage that I dripped in cheese and syrup and shoved in between two pieces of white processed bread. The hot dog for dinner wasn't very "healthy" either neither were the sour cream and onion chips. I'm at 16.3% body fat as of today from 25% after birth. I normally am around 18-20%. Going for 15% maybe 14%... we will see....

12543920_9539.jpg

12543920_6796.jpg

12543920_1368.jpg

Its the deficit people and its about how your body responds to certain things and how they make you feel! So stop posting stuff that isn't true. If it works for your great but it is because you are in a deficit. It derails the newbies who then go on this kick thinking its not how much you eat but what then they are messaging me all freaked out because its been 3 months and they haven't lost anything and their wedding is in 90 days! Nock off the crap will yah!

Personally, I think it's both WHAT you AND how much that creates long term, sustainable success.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    agree
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump so i can find later :)
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Meh, didn't even bother reading the whole thing. I think the amount you eat is waht makes you fat.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Weight loss results from eating fewer calories than YOUR body needs to maintain YOUR current weight.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can't believe how many people are believing this stuff they are pushing to the public! Seriously! I am just going to re-post what I posted yesterday. Wish people would stop spreading around things like the sugar or whatever made me fat. Its all about how much you eat.

If you guys looked at my diet you would crap your pants at the amount of candy bars and ice cream I consume in a week/day. Its calories in and calories out not sugar or carbs or protein, seriously stop posting lies. Think I am on twix bar #6, little debbie #5 for this last week and I stopped counting how many cookies I ingested or ice cream because I ran out of fingers and toes to count them on (typing as I finish my chocolate chip mint ice cream). Oww I also ate 5 chocolate chip cookies Sunday not including the 4 snickerdoodles I ingested! Oh and donuts... had 2 of those last Thursday & Friday and yesterday and today and taco bell and wendy's owww and 4 strawberry shortcakes. Mmm. The only thing healthy I ate today was the sausage that I dripped in cheese and syrup and shoved in between two pieces of white processed bread. The hot dog for dinner wasn't very "healthy" either neither were the sour cream and onion chips. I'm at 16.3% body fat as of today from 25% after birth. I normally am around 18-20%. Going for 15% maybe 14%... we will see....

12543920_9539.jpg

12543920_6796.jpg

12543920_1368.jpg

Its the deficit people and its about how your body responds to certain things and how they make you feel! So stop posting stuff that isn't true. If it works for your great but it is because you are in a deficit. It derails the newbies who then go on this kick thinking its not how much you eat but what then they are messaging me all freaked out because its been 3 months and they haven't lost anything and their wedding is in 90 days! Nock off the crap will yah!

Personally, I think it's both WHAT you AND how much that creates long term, sustainable success.

^^^ This
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I thought yesterday it was aspartame that made me pork on the weight. Not the binging and 5000-6000kcals I used to consume. My head itches I think I have fleas.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

12543920_9539.jpg

12543920_6796.jpg

12543920_1368.jpg

My hero!!
  • VisBella
    VisBella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/keto-videos/

For those looking for a good and easy explanation of how fat and carbohydrates affect fat metabolism and overall health, check out http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/keto-videos/ . There are several videos, but I recommend checking out Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat” first. Then scroll down to the bottom and watch “Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They’re Good for You,” by Dr. Donald Miller.

It was a shock to discover that the “expert advice” that we grew up with that “saturated fat is bad for you” is NOT backed up by scientific research. However, there is plenty of research that demonstrates that a high fat/adequate protein/low carbohydrate is a very healthy way to live even after you’ve lost all the weight you want.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

For those looking for a good and easy explanation of how fat and carbohydrates affect fat metabolism and overall health, check out http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/keto-videos/ . There are several videos, but I recommend checking out Gary Taubes “Why We Get Fat” first. Then scroll down to the bottom and watch “Enjoy Eating Saturated Fats: They’re Good for You,” by Dr. Donald Miller.

It was a shock to discover that the “expert advice” that we grew up with that “saturated fat is bad for you” is NOT backed up by scientific research. However, there is plenty of research that demonstrates that a high fat/adequate protein/low carbohydrate is a very healthy way to live even after you’ve lost all the weight you want.

So is a moderate fat/moderate protein/moderate carb diet.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

12543920_9539.jpg

12543920_6796.jpg

12543920_1368.jpg

Sustainable? I ate this way my whole life. I have been in the 114-118 lb range and the 16-20% body fat range my whole life except when I gained a whole 20 pounds when I was pregnant. I say a good 30 years of not ever being "over weight" except for a whole month or two after birth is a pretty good indicator of sustainable success wouldn't you? My dad is 72... I think he just hit 138 pounds... its because he is active and doesn't go over his calories often. He loves his cookies and soda and occasional beer. That is sustainable.
  • cunfewzed1
    Options
    Sustainable? I ate this way my whole life. I have been in the 114-118 lb range and the 16-20% body fat range my whole life except when I gained a whole 20 pounds when I was pregnant. I say a good 30 years of not ever being "over weight" except for a whole month or two after birth is a pretty good indicator of sustainable success wouldn't you? My dad is 72... I think he just hit 138 pounds... its because he is active and doesn't go over his calories often. He loves his cookies and soda and occasional beer. That is sustainable.

Well, you've just made your theory less plausible.

You were blessed with good genes. You're definitely celebrating it. Kudos for that much. Other people with different genes and body structures (actually, most people) aren't as lucky as you or your father are. It works the same way that NFL athletes are gifted with greater talents than the rest of us. Other people can't eat whatever they want and stay thin. Please, by all means, continue to enjoy it, but you're the exception, you're not proving any sort of rule.

Yay, high metabolism. Make sure you clean up your empty wrappers.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options

12543920_9539.jpg

12543920_6796.jpg

12543920_1368.jpg

Well deficit is defo a starting point for losing weight and perhaps you are blessed with great genes, but regardless of weight loss or gain goals there are all sorts of links with eating crap processed food and a whole range of health problems, so I would say in that regard at least it's your post that is the untrue one as it offers false hope that people can eat any old junk and not suffer consquences! I'm sure many people in this thread will view your obviously great figure and your 'liberating' post as a good reason for them to continue eating the same crap food also. I won't be following!
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Agree with this statement. The problem is generally not in the high protein. It's the high fat that causes the issue as I alluded to before.
    It is worth pointing out that Atkins dieters generally have good total / HDL cholesterol ratios and hence reduced risk of CVD. Many report reductions in total cholesterol through reduced carbs.

That and the waning of the lipid hypothesis mean the fat content isn't something to keep me awake at night.

I'm late coming back to this but once again DeadVm is correct here. Dieting in general will lower HDL. Lower HDL isn't always a bad thing though as it's been shown to be a double edged sword. A community in Europe has very low HDL levels and one would assume they would have a higher than normal risk for heart disease and stroke. NOT SO. It turns out their HDLs (now called "Super HDLs") have marked anti-inflammatory abilities and when injected into rats with accelerated atherosclerotic disease actually reversed the condition.

Our HDLs, as we diet, may drop but they also may become more anti-inflammatory and thereby more helpful in preventing heart disease. More research is needed. So your assumption of good Chol/HDL ratio in Adkin's Dieters may need some revision as a marker for CAD (Coronary Artery Disease).

One last thing - (right..like it will be the last thing) - dieting reduces your resting metabolic rate (RMR). Exercise in dieters has been shown time and time again NOT (I repeat NOT) to significantly raise your RMR...in fact...as you loose weight...your RMR continues to drop. Sucks huh! Most calorie burns (here on MFP) and estimates have less of an effect than you would expect had your RMR not been dropping....if it were stable.

You can figure out your real RMR at the moment (until you lose more weight) by getting a Metabolic Cart for about 75 dollars. It will determine your real RMR rather than those formulated by many different equations including the most accurate (accepted by the ADA) Mifflin-St. Joer. This equation was backed by metabolic cart data. Problem is I believe this only provides information to help you maintain a given weight if you are not dieting. (ie...the rates may be artificially high for dieters whose rates are dropping below what a given setpoint would normally demand).

Keep it real!
  • texastango
    Options

This is just plain wrong and I have numerous studies and links to refute it. Harvard did many studies many years ago to show that in fact saturated fat is bad for you. Fats should be Heart Healthy fats - High in Omega Three or monounsaturated. You are right - in that there are other factors that play a role. New data suggest that only 1/3rd of the people who suffer MI (myocardial infarction - heart attack) have what would be considered significant coronary vascular disease. So nearly 67 percent of those that suffer MI do so for other reasons - and that's a discussion best held elsewhere. It flips our traditional model of CAD on it's head.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/

In addition, carbs are an essential source of energy. If not exercising carbs/'sugars with low GL (glycemic loads) are better because they do not spike insulin levels. You can't just use GI (Glycemic Index) because Watermelon (love watermelon) has a relatively high GI but because it's so low in carb per ounce/gram a normal portion has a very low GL despite a high GI. Bottom line is that if you eat a normal amount your GL is low. So insulin doesn't spike.

If you are exercising you need carbs (4:1 ration in recovery Carbs to Protein) and carbs during exercise for Maximum performance if your exercise is prolonged (meaning over 45 min to 1 hour). Sugars with a higher GI were better because they get in when you need them and you can utilize them as an exogenous energy source. Using a varied number of sugars was also better in that each sugar has it's own "carrier" that moves the sugar from the intestine into your cells. Ie glucose, sucrose, and maltodextran were shown to move the fastest, with fructose being twice as slow. In addition, fructose by itself had little impact unless combined with other sugars. Look in Gatorade. First couple of ingredients are Sucrose and glucose. That's on purpose. It speeds MPS and ATP synthesis rates nearly doubling the rate over Fructose.

So, the statement that high fat/low carbs is the answer - might work for you - but in general is not the advice of experts today. Adequate carb intake - only to supply your needs. Protein, carbs, and fat need to be adjusted based on individual needs. One size does not fit all.

If you question this read the literature, go to the SCAN website, or request references.
  • texastango
    Options
    From the Harvard School of Public Health (excerpted) Why hasn't cutting fat from the diet paid off as expected? Detailed research—much of it done at Harvard—shows that the total amount of fat in the diet isn't really linked with weight or disease. What really matters is the type of fat and the total calories in the diet. (7-15) Bad fats, meaning trans and saturated fats, increase the risk for certain diseases. Good fats, meaning monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, do just the opposite. They are good for the heart and most other parts of the body

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    fat is not made of 3 glucose molecules... and I'm a chemistry major taking Biochem II currently, we just did fat metabolism. Where did you get your info from?

While a fat molecules is NOT three linked glucose molecules, which would be a starch, your body can create a fatty acid using three glucose molecules. One glucose molecules can produce 2 acetyl CoAs, each of which can be converted to a malonyl CoA. And you need 3 acetyl CoAs and 3 malonyl CoAs to form palmitic acid, the most common fatty acid. So that's a total of 6 molecules that were originally pyruvate and therefore 3 glucose molecules. Make sense?

C6H12O6+C40H64H28P3S(what would this be?) ----> 2C23H38N7O17P3S.... EXPLAIN

You can't go straight from glucose to acetyl CoA with only one other reactant. It's a complicated mechanism. This might help:

Glucose-->pyruvate

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=35&num=10&um=1&hl=en&authuser=0&biw=1024&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=ChBQupK5m61SvM:&imgrefurl=http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Biological_Chemistry/Metabolism/Glycolysis&docid=6BgSpMVxVVBrnM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/GlycolysiscompleteLabelled.png&w=990&h=765&ei=2B4aUMnjN8vsiwKzgYGADg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=310&vpy=29&dur=97&hovh=197&hovw=255&tx=199&ty=115&sig=114905646097970699064&page=3&tbnh=149&tbnw=172&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:16,s:35,i:119

Pyruvate-->acetyl CoA

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&authuser=0&biw=1024&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbnid=tr4_07E6oBCZRM:&imgrefurl=http://employees.csbsju.edu/hjakubowski/classes/ch331/oxphos/olcouplingoxphos.html&docid=It4Rm2ZstkPiaM&imgurl=http://employees.csbsju.edu/hjakubowski/classes/ch112/pathways-charts/pyrdehydrototal.gif&w=578&h=1296&ei=PB8aUPm4EczWiAKg_IHQBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=100&vpy=213&dur=547&hovh=336&hovw=150&tx=73&ty=167&sig=114905646097970699064&page=1&tbnh=162&tbnw=72&start=0&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0,i:102

EDIT
    Okay so those links get cut off in the post, but if you quote my post, you can copy the whole thing.
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Bump