HOW DO YOU DO IT?!

Options

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Mental shift - Something snapped and now I want it more than at any other time.

This^^^^nobody else can make you do this. There is no amount of outside bullying or cheering that will take you and your body down this road...it has to come from within--one day at a time.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    By trial.

When I fail one day, it motivates me to to way better. To accept it, learn from it and move on.

The shedding pounds is soooo rewarding and u feel so good about urself, not only cuz ur dropping weight but also because ur learning self control. Which has been the best for because ive learned self-control not only with food, but with my life.
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    One day at a time for me. And think about what you're eating. I was amazed at my food log. You'll see how really bad some of your favorite things are. Keep those for your treats along the way. If you have a bad day, accept it. Wake up the next day with a new vigor -- take a walk, clear your head and keep plugging along. We're all here for you when you need us! :heart:
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    It motivates me to work out a date where I'll be at my goal weight. If I lose 1lb a week, it'll be Jan 1st. If I lose 2lb a week, it'll be Nov 1st or whatever. Time flies so quickly that it can sometimes be a massive motivator that in no time at all, I'll be where I want to be. If it helps, you can split your weight loss into smaller goal dates as well.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have approx 110lbs to lose and that is daunting. So, I focus only on 5lb goals at a time and every 10lbs I reward myself either with something I've been wanting to taste or a purchase.

Plus I have a size 18 pair of jeans I keep close to remind me that if I can make it to that size...I can finally own a sexy pair of leather pants. :D
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    how DO *I* do it?

well as I said to the guv'nor

Flat on me back I was....
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Focus on the 5 pound marks. I want to get below 185 right now, but my ultimate goal is 145. But my focus is 185. I don't care about anything else. Once I get below 185 then I will focus on 180. Eventually I will be focusing on 145.

THIS! It is working for me thus far. When I hit the upper 170s, I was so excited! And when I maintained that through a vacation, I was even more ecstatic. Now I'm so close to 175 which is one of my slightly bigger goals....it will put me at 20 lbs down and the point where I gave up this time last year. This time, I HAVE to keep this up!
  • MaudeBeige
    MaudeBeige Posts: 282
    Options
    My sister came to visit!

She made me try on ALL my clothes and took photos of me wearing them - even the ones where the button didn't do up! Then she 'made' me order them from largest to smallest AND organise my clothes for the week. Friday outfits were always a little snug so if I went off the wagon during the week I would have trouble on the Friday... The deal was that I HAD to wear what we'd set aside.

She came for a few weeks but then couldn't manage always. I maintained the regime.

Since then I've started buying clothes from the charity shop - not a lot of money to spend on new!

I am VERY target driven - until it wears off anyway... so:

logging calories is good for me

logging food before I ate it

I had a cheapo HRM that I used for months - again it was all about calories and trying to beat what I'd done before 9 since bought a better one but have no idea what it can do... need to research!)

Set gym days where there was nothing else 'more important' to do.

A few months ago I stopped being so strict with myself, stopped logging, went on holiday... ... ...

Reading all this back again is reminding me about what worked then and there's no reason why I can't make it work again! (I'd still like to lose 25lbs or so!!!) Thanks OP!
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Maybe find a hobby or an interest in which you might need to be more in shape for? Maybe a 5k run? triathalon? A boot camp class? For me, I have a BIG interest in belly dancing. I started taking classes last year, but then lost confidence because of my size so I quit. Starting again this August. Although I have only lost 5 lbs since the 1st class, I FEEL a lot healthier, and that has boosted my confidence. You can do it! Many people have given such GREAT suggestions. It just takes the right mind set.... good luck!!!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Well, this site has been a huge help to me. Logging in here everyday helps keep me motivated since I see everyone else going through the same things.. I also like to look at success stories and pictures as much as possible. Really helps me, especially when I feel like giving up. I also constantly remind myself how very much I want to lose this weight.. If I don't keep trying now, in a year from now I will still be fat and unhappy with myself... That's not what I want.. In a year from now, I want to be at a comfortable weight. Life is too short not to be happy.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the big picture because yes, 30-40 pounds seems like a LOT of weight to lose. Instead focus on small goals. For example focus on 5-10 lb increments and maybe give your self a 'treat' when you reach that goal. After that then focus on the next 5-10 lbs and so on. You'll be more focused on the "goal treat" then how hard it is to lose the entire amount of weight and in no time the pounds will be gone.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Mental shift - Something snapped and now I want it more than at any other time.

^^^This. Wish I knew where it came from, and hope I can mantain this mental shift. Scared I'll lose the motivation and commitment.
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    honestly i take it one day at a time.The alternative is keep working at it and slowly lose...or give up and gain...so might as well try again
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm very goal-oriented and stubborn, so what worked for me was setting a one year weight loss goal (lose 75lbs and be in the healthy BMI range) and then mini-goals along the way (ie. lose 4 lbs in July).
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Baby Steps :)

Slow progression.

And the Nintendo Wii :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Jaccyber
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    How do you maintain motivation with so many lbs to lose? I have about 30-40... seems to daunting. What keeps you going, and what's your best advise to stay on TRACK!

The next pound you have to lose is the most important. Make small goals, like 5 lb, and reward yourself with something for reaching those goals, and it'll fly by. My half way was a tattoo. Manicures are great, pedis, clothing, photo shoots, small things like journals, cosmetics, day-trips, even trips to restaurants. Big picture is often daunting, I know, I've been there! So take the big picture and break it down to smaller increments that are manageable and attainable.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had 33lbs to lose...I now have 4.8 :smile: I found I just focused on one day at a time and had a calendar where I wrote down my exercise so I could look and see at a glance how many days a month I'd exercised. I probably exercise 25 days a month on average and it has become such a (great) habit!

It is hard having weight to lose and only losing 1 or even 2 lbs a week, it feels so daunting...but one day at a time and you'll get there in no time, promise!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't make it harder than it needs to be. This doesn't need to be a race. So many people think they have to hurry up and lose the weight. You don't have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. Find some exercise that you like to do, and eat! I think the people that have figured that out seem to stick with it longer.
  • fieldsbean
    Options
    i need to lose what you do,..and when my sweet little daughter innocently says " mommy you have a big tummy"..i realize that i have to keep going..even if you do great and then mess up..KEEP GOING. remember how many times Babe Ruth struck out..or that Einstein was called mentally retarted by a teacher..your goal is to keep going no matter what. At this stage i dont like to look in the mirror unless i am dressed..but I also know that somewhere out there, someone would love to be me and weigh much less than they do..and i see people who are skinny and i wish my butt looked that good in jeans..it doesn't..but i want to be healthy because i don't want to die of something preventable..KEEP GOING! :-)
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Make mini goals & keep your "eye on the prize"... remind yourself that each pound is bringing you that much closer to the finish line!

It's all about keeping your mind focused- it's a struggle but you are doing this for YOU so you gotta keep your head above the water!

No way in hell did i think I could lose 20 lbs! No way... but it happened- failures and all! Good luck!!