OT: attitudes on weddings

Options

Replies

• Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    C) Everyone needs to stop inviting me to fcking weddings bc I don't give a ****

(Have been invited to 4 wedding in the last 3 months)
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    A HUUUUGGGGEEEE waste of money!

Take the wedding budget, put it in an escrow account, and if the marriage lasts 7 years have a huge party to celebrate. If not, the two parties split the proceeds and go their separate ways.

this is the smartest thing i have read in a WHILE.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    A bit of both. I'm a firm believer it's not just MY day, it's my future husband's day too. But it's also a special fun day to share our joy with our families!

My boyfriend and I discussed marriage on multiple occasions. Price sucks, but we don’t' see the point in a big fancy formal wedding. We're just down to earth, nerds and fun loving people so we're having that kind of wedding. Why be what we're not?! We plan to have his mom cater the food, a family friend who does cakes make our cake, and most the decorations will be hand done since we're artsy, and almost all of it will have to deal with our fave video games or movies :)
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    B for me definitely! We had 130 guests at our wedding plus more in the evening because we wanted to share our day with all our family and friends. It was a brilliant day with all our loved ones, I can't believe it was a year ago already!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My husband I bought a house so we didnt have a wedding. but once i lose all the weight he's agreed that we can do a small wedding at disneyland.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mine was A and B.

We got married at home and had 40 guests. We had a blast and didn't leave for honeymoon till we visited with everyone and saw them all leave :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!

just a TAD bit of A.

I hate "all about me psycho brides"
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    A and B! It was OUR special day, but it meant so much more to enjoy it with friends and family.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A (not YOURS though, US)

We plan on a secluded romantic wedding in someplace like South Asia! We will invite our closest family, but if they can't make it, then oh well! :)

I agree on having a party later down the road to celebrate!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    for me, this will be my 2nd wedding, I am 20 years older and wiser, I am joing 2 families, so it is a day for my families to join as one, and come together to celebrate the fact that we have been blessed with a second chance. I want to share it with everyone!! :)
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Take the wedding budget, put it in an escrow account, and if the marriage lasts 7 years have a huge party to celebrate. If not, the two parties split the proceeds and go their separate ways.

fracking romantic! I love it.

Yeah, I'm just fracking adorable.
    At least my wife of 27 years thinks so. Especially last week when she found a bouquet of flowers on the seat of her car when she was leaving for work at 5:30am...and realized they were only to remind her "I love you" and "I want your day to start off special"...when it wasn't any special day at all, just another Thursday. And also realized I must have planned it the night before.

And I find it sad when people spend $20k - $30k on a wedding day just to get divorced in 3-5 years.

That is such a sweet thing to do. Sometimes I leave little notes on my boyfriends windshield. It is easy because I leave for work before him and he truly appreciates the gesture.
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options

This /\/\, going through a divorce after 8 yrs. I would rather have the money than the memories.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It's all about the bride.

That being said, it would all be done my way, I'll just make her the central focus.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    B.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Ours was really neither.. it was a day we made public vows to one another. We had less than 100 in attendance (mostly family) We had good food, no alcohol, and a lovely setting overlooking rapids on the Coosa River.

We didn't want a big party, and I know that alienated some guests, but that's okay.

I also had no intention of the day being about "me". I didn't have the huge canvas bridal shot hanging as you walked into the reception, and I never uttered anything about it being "the bride's special day".

We paid for it ourselves, and didn't break the bank.. and then we left and went on a fabulous honeymoon to St. Lucia. I'd much rather spend my money on an awesome trip!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For us, it was B. We got married by a chaplain on base, but our mothers insisted on us having an actual "wedding". It was actually one of the worst trips I've ever been on, and it made the whole "wedding" thing become very annoying for me. I think it's a massive waste of time, money and effort. Kind of like going crazy on a kid's first birthday party. Pointless.
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    C. Something I'll (probably) never do again.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    B. So many people make way too big of a deal out of weddings. My sister's wedding was gorgeous and very nice. However, 200 people were there and some came just in jeans and a t shirt for the free cake... I don't want to invite people to my wedding because I feel obligated to... I only want people who are important to me there. Close Friends and family.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    B. So many people make way too big of a deal out of weddings. My sister's wedding was gorgeous and very nice. However, 200 people were there and some came just in jeans and a t shirt for the free cake... I don't want to invite people to my wedding because I feel obligated to... I only want people who are important to me there. Close Friends and family.

This.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options

^^Yep, huge waste of money. Mine only cost $1000 (including dress). I am not a fan of weddings personally. I would rather have gone to vegas.