Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• Eclipsoh
    Eclipsoh Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My little sister (who is adopted) was about 7 years old and with me in a plus size store changing room. She looked at me and said... do you even have a belly button?

She meant well but it still hurt.
    kids, man. they're brutal.
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    Yep, that's pretty much my story too... well, not exactly, but being mistaken for pregnant is. I was working in guest services alongside a pregnant colleague. She stepped out for a short while and I sat behind the computer to attend to the next guest. The woman said "oh wow, every time I come here there's a new pregnant girl, there must be something in the water"... I just glared at her until my colleague returned and said that SHE was the pregnant one (a slim girl, 6 months into her pregnancy) and the guest looked mortified. As I was embarrassed, I became somewhat *****y and kept making comments like "Oh, Kerry, can you please pass me that photocopying, my big pregnant belly doesn't like it when I stand up" - it was mean, but I hope it taught that woman to never assume again. I went home in tears that night :(
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    Oh... a second one, not really an embarrassing fat moment, but an upsetting one! I was 15yo I think and I was getting ready to go out with my friends, when my Dad asks me if I'm "taking my spare tyre out with me tonight" - looking back now, I was a size 12 and NOT fat. At the time, I believed I was overweight and developed terrible eating/binge drinking habits. 15 years later, my Dad still makes comments every time he see's me (we only see each other 1-2 times per year, but now I'm old enough and strong enough to tell him his words are hurtful and just plain wrong.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When I waited 3 hours in line for a rollar coaster ride and couldn't fit.

When my coworker was trying to see if a robe would fit on a resident at work. This was an obese resident (also my favourite person - she died not long ago). Coworkers were constantly rude and degrading, to her face and behind, about her weight - my boss is all about cost efficiency and will not allow two people to resident when one person can do it and will not invest in a hoyer lift- so we would have to lift this lady (about 350lbs) who was unable to help in movement from the bed to the toilet/shower/wheelchair on our own. I was good at this (brace my back, have her in the right position, lift and pivot - it's not rocket science) and so I normally got stuck with dealing with her. They were so mean about her weight that it made me uncomfortable most days and I was happy to work with her because she was a sweetheart and funny as hell. [for the record - for all their *****ing do you think this lady was on a special diet? Hell no.]

Anyway. The coworker was trying to see if this robe was big enough for her, and got me to try it on to see if it would fit me. It did, of course with extra size - but the implication was so blindingly obvious. I was upset.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mother's Day - I was vacuuming out my elderly mother-in-law's van as a gift to her, and while I was bent over, my three year old son casually said, "Mom. You have a fat butt." Broke my heart.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My most embarrasing fat moment was when I realized just how fat I was. End of story.
  • babydollash
    Options
    I'm not fat so I've never had a moment, maybe you could count me wearing size 10 jeans....for me that was horrid. But this girl I know (not very nice) sat on one of those wooden garden chairs and the whole thing fell apart lol. I laugh because she was a horrible person.
  • EmilyWest1919
    EmilyWest1919 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    While trying on a new skirt, my 4 year old daughter said "Momma, you look beautiful...just like a dancing hippo." She meant well, but it was definitely a turning point for me...
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I arrived at a family get-together and the first words out of my uncles mouth were "You're fat now!"

Wow, nice.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was asked to get off of a ride because of my weight at Knoebel's. I was also mistaken for a pregnant woman-twice.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I had a man use me as a landmark once. told the people he was with, 'No, we parked over there, by that fat girl.' he wasn't even talking to me. it was very matter of fact.
  • dcyr009
    dcyr009 Posts: 93
    Options
    Last year several people at work wanted to know when I was due. That was last year before I lost 74 pounds. When ever I see them now I think to myself "Who is due now?". :bigsmile:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My husband earned a huge trip to Hawaii based on his sales at work and one of the activities they had planned for the group was a helicopter ride. To sign up, you had to list your name and WEIGHT and it was on a form that everyone could see everyone else's information. I weighed 325lbs at the time and there was NO WAY I was going to sign that form, but I really wanted to go. My husband went and said it was awesome.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I was getting fitted for a bridesmaid's dress for my brother's wedding, and was told that I had to pay more for "plus size". The lady was all *****y and snarky about it too...said it in front of about ten people. I wanted to either strangle her, or crawl under the table....

haha rude people engender rude responses from me. i would have asked her how much more i had to pay for decent service.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I got the pregnancy comment but after I had already changed my lifestyle, I think I was down 40 lbs when a woman in our cafeteria (mind you she's probably bigger than I ever was) asked when I had my baby.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
  • morgancbd
    morgancbd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    people at stores look at you differently than they do skinny people. its like cant i just go to your store to by jewelery. its not like i'm gonna steal your size 2 pants. jerks!
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My less-than-tactful 8 year old nephew asked me if I was pregnant. When I very quietly said no, he announced to the room, in his not-quiet voice, "Well, you sure LOOK like you could be pregnant!" Oh my. Kids...gotta love 'em! lol.
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have way too many. I have never gotten the pregnant one though. I was actually kind of angry at myself when I was ACTUALLY pregnant, and I didnt have a belly the entire time (though I had my son at 7 months).

Looking back at all of my old pictures and seeing myself smiling, but I knew I was miserable. I hate pictures, and still do.