Does clean eating really make a difference for you?

Options
Do you guys really see a difference when you eat clean vs. not eating clean (but still sticking to your daily calorie restriction)? I hear a lot of people say that they can eat unhealthy and lose weight as long as they have a calorie deficit, and eating clean doesn't make a difference. Does it make a difference for you? Do you lose significantly more weight while eating clean?

Replies

• adeleearls
    adeleearls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have been working hard on "cleaner eating" as I can be self described as a carb and sugar addict. I have worked really hard to eat less processed, far less sugar (and also have omitted aspartame and sugar substitues) and include more veggies more fruits more organics and much more water.
    Coming from someone who could demolish ice cream half gallons by herself if allowed to do so, just being more mindful and making better decisions whenever i can, it has made a difference in my weight loss but even more importantly it's made a HUGE difference in my overall health and mood.
    the sugar highs and lows, the caffeine uges, the drive to carb binge for a "lift" have all but been eradicated. i feel less "hungover" in the mornings becuase my diet has elimiated a bunch of the processed stuff i used to enjoy.
    i have more energy and now i find myself craving healhier treats. like for instance, instead of going for the baked goodies we have in the house (because my husband doesnt believe in "clean") i just enjoyed a medium red delicious apple and 1/2 teaspoon of organic peanut butter. i am satisfied, satiated and most importantly guilt free. i used to always regret eating choices later at night but since i have made the transition to cleaner eating and living, i haven't been angry or frustrated with myself in a long while.
    good luck. do what works best for you. it can be a gradual transition and see which aspects fit your life best.
    enjoy the journey!
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: It's not JUST about the calories, but about the quality of those calories. You can lose weight by eating greasy fast food every day and sticking under your calorie goals, but your liver and colon will hate you for it. Eating better (personally) has made my hair thicker (which is good, since it's getting kind of long), cleared up my skin, and had other benefits which are kind of gross.

Meanwhile, when I do lapse (I still manage to stick below my calorie goals during these lapses) I pay dearly for it if it goes on long enough. My gut starts to hurt really bad, and my skin starts to get all gross. Not to mention my colon starts punishing me too. So I try to keep it clean as I can.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It makes a huge difference to me.

First, highly processed food always makes me hungry. With clean food, I get more and more full for a couple hours after I eat.

Second, it's healthier so I feel better. And it's cheaper serving for serving if you shop well.

Third, sodium, fat, and sugar are high in processed food to give them more flavor. If they're 'diet' or 'healthy', they have even more fat and salt to make up for the lack of sugar.

After you eat clean for a while, low quality processed food tastes pretty gross. Really good quality excellent food always tastes great, however - even if it's all white flour and sugar. Love those high quality bakeries!
  • Rainforst
    Rainforst Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi I can tell you that I have been eating mostly clean for two years now. When I do eat unhealthy say a bag of potato chips I actually feel very sick. I think eating clean most of the time is much better way to loose weight.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: It's not JUST about the calories, but about the quality of those calories. You can lose weight by eating greasy fast food every day and sticking under your calorie goals, but your liver and colon will hate you for it. Eating better (personally) has made my hair thicker (which is good, since it's getting kind of long), cleared up my skin, and had other benefits which are kind of gross.

Meanwhile, when I do lapse (I still manage to stick below my calorie goals during these lapses) I pay dearly for it if it goes on long enough. My gut starts to hurt really bad, and my skin starts to get all gross. Not to mention my colon starts punishing me too. So I try to keep it clean as I can.

Absolutely.

Yeh, you can lose weight (fat+muscle) by eating all kinds of food (or pseudofood) but you can also be skinny and unhealthy.

Food is the bedrock of everything from physical composition to mental health and everything in-between, why short-change yourself?
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" has worked for me. My experience is that being strict about my nutrient intake makes sticking to a caloric deficit easier. A lot of my MFP friends aren't nearly as picky and seem to do fine, so experiment and see what works for you.
  • Senrabk
    Senrabk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I notice a difference immediately. Chips, fast food, candy, baked goods while they taste good they don't make me feel good. When I stick to veggies and fruit and lean proteins I feel so much better.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    There is a HUGE difference. Stick with raw veggies, fruits, lean protein, whole grains, water, tea, and coffee. Stay away from the processed/chemical foods. Eat organic whenever possible. You will feel better and look better (hair, skin, body). And lastly watch your portion size! Ever since I started eating smart and clean, I have had more energy and can tell a big difference in the way I feel and look. And I rarely crave junk food anymore. Take time to cook your meals. Have common sense with your food. they say "longer shelf life, shorter life. shorter shelf life, longer life."
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, no it doesn't make a difference. But in terms of just being healthy overall it does.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I didn't switch to cleaner eating to lose weight, I actually did it for health reasons. It has taken a while, but yes, I have started noticing a considerable difference.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Clean eating makes a difference for me because I am not doing it to be skinny. I am eating clean to be healthy. I hear all the time life is short and live life large. Bullchit, live is long and we are going to have to live with the choices we make for the next 50 years and I for one, want to be out parasailing when I am 80, not drooling in a chair in the nursing home.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My mind seems clearer when I eat cleanly. I don't know that it makes a difference for me on the scale, but I sure as heck FEEL better and am less likely to ditch the whole program just because the number on the scale isn't dropping.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Today I ate 1/2 a piece of pizza and threw up..

Eating clean or mostly clean has not changed the amount of weight I lose, but it has changed my body composition. I was losing weight before but my body was still.. squishy lol. My loose skin is more hydrated and more elastic, my muscle is stronger and tighter, I don't feel bloated. I'm not hungry when I shouldn't be. Once the toxins are out... you notice a huge difference.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have only lost weight eating "clean" Whenever I don't I don't shed anything.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    My short answer is also a BIG fat YES!

My testimonial :
    I am not perfect and a highly processed cookie or something squeeks its way in every once in a while. But 90% of my choices are clean and my mind/body thank me for it everyday. I have SOOO MUCH more energy, I need less hours of sleep to feel rested, my skin looks healthier and my mood/attitude is greatly improved.

It is 100% possible to lose weight and not eat clean at all, but I promise you that if you put 2 people of the same age, height, weight next to eachother - one who eats clean and the other who doesnt, the 'clean eater' will look considerably thinner, toned and healthier overall. So why eat dirty if in order to look like you want to you have to lose more weight and eat less than if you just chose different foods?
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely...especially in terms of weight loss, fat loss, and energy levels.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Before I started eating clean 80% of the time
    9zyk9u.jpg

After I started eating clean 80% of the time
    jqnrdl.jpg

This was over the course of about 1.5-2 months, I changed nothing about my workout and simply just changed my diet. I didn't believe it until I saw the results in pictures
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, huge difference. When I started MFP and was on a "diet" I was starving. When I noticed on the app on my phone that I had very little potassium in my diet, I started reading labels more than trying to get better nutrition. That equated to more fruits and vegetables. Within a couple of weeks, I was hitting on all cylinders and have never looked back. Think WHOLE FOODS, PLANT BASED and you'll thank yourself for it. Plus you will be eating A LOT! Just look at my food diary.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    absolutely 100%. especially as a vegetarian, I notice a MASSIVE difference in how I feel, my digestion, etc when I eat clean, fresh foods and cut out the processed junk.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Definitely, wish I had been eating clean ever since I started my weight loss!!!!