No more late night snacking August 2012

Options

Replies

• dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    OMG! this is SO my problem! I get home from work around 4:30pm and my boyfriend doesn't get home from work until around 12am. It really throws me off! I am always up so I can see him before we go to bed and between 4:30 and 12 I snack. Mostly on candy to be honest :ohwell:

I am really going to try this! Have some accountability for my serious candy addiction!

Thanks for the GREAT idea!!

Suggestion: have a proper meal after you get from work. Then when your boyfriend comes, you won't be hungry. If you do want to join him in the kitchen (which is nice of you), fix yourself some herbal tea (peppermint or wild fruit might make you hungry, so choose something mild) or drink a glass of warm milk (this doesn't have 0 calories, but I think it's acceptable :wink:). The only downside of my suggestion is that you might wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom :wink:.

Bottom line: stay away from junk! :smile: Good luck :flowerforyou:.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Tonight I go to running club at half 7 so tend to need to eat something after (will eat a small dinner at around half 5) as my body needs to re fuel, but I won't count it as its fuel replacement not snacking (am I bending the rules :wink: )

This challenge is intended to fight mindless munching at night. So you are NOT breaking the rules, since what you will be doing is consciously eating back calories. Now if you wouldn't stop eating, that *would* break the rules, but I am pretty confident that you will stop :wink:.
  • DyamonDyva
    DyamonDyva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This too have been my problem...and that I am also an emotional eater......I'm setting my cut off at 9pm....question do we post everynite
  • marypetro
    marypetro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    me 1: lns 1

Even though I was up late watching the Olympics, I kept this challenge in mind and did not snack. Thank you for the incentive!!
    Do we keep posting on here or do we put it on our own page daily?
  • ellisrobertson
    Options
    I'm in! For the month so far, it's Me: 1, LNS: 1. Tonight I had a handful of grapes, a dozen almonds and some sunflower kernels. I didn't binge on them and I thought it through before giving in, but the point is that I DID give in. There was real hunger involved, but that's what happens when you stay up to ridiculous hours.

I really need a definition of what a binge is. And what constitutes LNS (anything other than consuming planned calories after exercise? what?). If someone gives me a cutoff, a limit, a clear idea of what I'm trying NOT to do, I can stick to it. If I am left to define it myself, then I know from experience that I will tweak the guidelines to suit my purposes at any given time. It's weak, I know. But it's currently my reality.
  • mommy2ajs
    mommy2ajs Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Me: 1
    LNS: 1
  • mom22nteaching
    mom22nteaching Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am in.
    0 days in control at night
    1 night out of control
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    I'm in. Definitely my main problem. I can be so good all day and then come 9pm (and I'm usually up till 1am) I self-sabotage. I need this support and these guidelines. Thank you. So far this month Me: 1- LNS: 1

I need the cut-off to be 9pm though. I usually keep some calories stored up for one after-dinner healthy snack, which I will try to have by 9pm and then that's it. One tip I have found helps: floss and brush teeth once you're (legally) done for the night and keep a bottle of water next to you for the rest of your waking hours. That way, whenever you feel the urge, you drink water. it really does help. Not that I always get it right, but maybe making myself accountable will help....

Good luck everybody!
  • dewdrop
    Options
    I really need a definition of what a binge is. And what constitutes LNS (anything other than consuming planned calories after exercise? what?). If someone gives me a cutoff, a limit, a clear idea of what I'm trying NOT to do, I can stick to it. If I am left to define it myself, then I know from experience that I will tweak the guidelines to suit my purposes at any given time. It's weak, I know. But it's currently my reality.

A couple of months ago I got attacked (see June's thread) for suggesting a cut-off time or no more food intake a couple of hours before going to bed. The guy pretended to be better informed than me on the matter. Meanwhile, he deactivated his account (he seemed to know-it-all in other threads, too).

I do see his point, though. If you eat right and have self-control, you don't need this challenge. If you choose the right food, you can probably put something in your mouth even right before going to bed. Some cannot fall sleep with an empty stomach. Other, on the contrary: once they've eaten something, their body feels like it's action time.

I cannot tell you what to do, because I don't know your body. You have to listen to it. If you are systematically going over calories, then try at least to give your tummy a two hours break before going to bed. What you did last night was OK - binging is when you start with a little something and end up not knowing how much of this and that you had. Binging is giving in to a bag of chips or caramel popcorn. To me, binging is also when you eat without being hungry. You know, I think it's absolutely OK to feel hungry; and yes, to eat a bit when you are.

So my advice is: begin by choosing a reasonable cut-off time. Make sure you eat your calories by that time and stay strong a couple of nights to see how it goes. Of course, don't go to bed with a growling stomach if this happens. Make healthy choices like you did last night. Fix a bedtime, too - I struggle with that myself;, maybe we should start a separate challenge on this? :wink:

Tell us how it went. We learn from each other over here. And support each other. :smile:
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • scarboy
    scarboy Posts: 2
    Options
    Me 0
    LNS 1
  • lil_pixie
    Options
    Me 1
    LNS 1

Big problem for me, especially when my husband's working nights. I've got much better, reducing the amount I eat when I snack, but would love to stop altogether.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,938 Member
    Options
    Me: 2
    LNS: 0
  • misstwistedshine
    Options
    ME 0
    LNS 2 :(
    i didnt snaack but still had a coke. at least a step in the right direction
  • JonieB
    JonieB Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Me = 1
    LNS = 1

Hubby had a late night at work and I had a small slice of pizza that I ended up not eating at lunch. I was starving though. I think I am going to say no snacking after 8 instead of 7 because if I eat early with the kids I need a snack so I am not starving when I go to bed.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    debi, although I wasn't visible last month, I still had the topic in my list and had a look every now and then. I was so impressed by your commitment, by how well you motivated others (by example and in words), so I felt confident that this challenge will be kept alive even in my absence. Thank YOU so much! Together with gmukris, katemateg, beeps and the other ladies, you rocked!!! :flowerforyou:

I love this group. It keeps me strong :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Me-2
    LNS-0

:flowerforyou:

I came home after 9:00pm (my cutoff at 8pm)... had all my calories (over 15)...and found myself thinking of what I could eat. LOL...I made a cup of peppermint tea and was satisfied with that...THANKS GOODNESS! I see my "habit" of wanting to LNS is still present...someimes I have the urge and sometimes I don't...glad I was able to overcome

Thx Dewdrop for your encouragement....read you post about the "binge" THX ... great advice. I just encourage everyone to get through the first few days,drink tea, water...have something healthy like an apple...i REALLY hungry. The key is to eat your calories beore your deadline to yourself..."binging" means out o cntrol to me GOOD LUCK and GOOD FOCUS :flowerforyou:
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    This is a problem for me since I eat late a t night. It's usually healthier foods b ut still I can do w/o them. So, I'm up for the challange.
    Me: 0
  • mommy2ajs
    mommy2ajs Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Me: 2
  • misstwistedshine
    Options
    ME 0 LNS 3. hey its a lot less than it was thats for sure. im gonna beat u!
  • gmukris
    gmukris Posts: 539
    Options
    Me: 3
    LNS: 0