Renaissance Faire- Any Guild members (wenches, etc?)

Options

Replies

• RoseAsRose
    Options
    I have the same problem! I love ren faires, but yeah - not always easy to find people who want to go - would be fun to be involved with a guild!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    The Great Lakes Medieval Faire comes to my town every year and it rocks! I’ve never dressed for it, but I’m thinking I might buy a bar wench dress with a super tight corset for next year, lol!
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    <<<Inactive member of Clan Myrtleholt, SCA.

I used to attend the RenFaire in Colorado, but since moving to Oregon I have not sought one out.
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    Loki I will bring thunder upon you. dang, wrong thread again

And I, Aeolus, will bring the winds to blow away the competition! Dang, wrong pantheon!

You are seriously crackin' me up! :laugh:
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Pennsylvania! ^_^ I haven't made my goal to buy expensive, but I'm normally just a typical peasant/wench. lol
  • redkitty615
    redkitty615 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a SCAdian out here in West Kingdom (principality of Cynagua) Huzzah!:smile:
  • ghostrogue
    Options
    Was in the SCA for about 8 years but got out of it and have been out for about 10 years now. I was a heavy fighter and also Archer Marshal. Went to Pensic Wars twice. It was fun while I lasted. Still have my sword and spear but ended up selling all my armor and garb.
  • Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    went to the rein fair here in NY a few weekends ago it was so much fun...

im excitied for next year my hubby and i and my daughter are all going to get some garb and dork it up the right way :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I attend Bay Area Ren Faire in full costume as a serving wench and my partner has a monk costume (bald head and round belly too!). We go fairly regularly, but are not members of any guilds.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a part of any guilds, but have been part of the Kansas City Renaissance Festival since 2003. Huzzah! :drinker:

Do you know Jotun's Bane Kindred and go to Camp Gaea? I got to go a few times.

I don't know them (him?) and I've never been to anything official at Gaea, but have been to the site once for a small picnic and a dip in the lake. I know loads of people who practically live there, though, and several people in the SCA, so it's not far-fetched to think that perhaps our paths have crossed. :)
  • frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love the Colorado Ren Fest!
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard of this and you all seem really into it. I'd love to get involved, but I'm not quite sure about the whole thing, how it works etc.
    Can anyone give me some information on it at all ?
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    We go at least once a year, and then use any other excuse to dress. Sometimes, we like to dress and just go downtown to hit the bars. We do a piratical theme, and as far as changes from weight loss, the only negative I have to say is that my $350 custom made steel boned corset no longer fits. It was measured to take my waist down to a 36, and without any help at all I'm at a 34. Bittersweet. I'm hoping that by next year, I'll be at a steady enough weight to buy a new one, but for now I'm making do with a cheapy faux-leather corset.
    We're based in Colorado, and hoping to join up with a guild once the mini-wenches are old enough to allow us grown-up time. For now, we just do at least one weekend as a full family trip, and one as adults only.

IMG_1227.jpg

awww, rennie babies! <3
    these are my rennie babies:

renniebabies.jpg
  • redkitty615
    redkitty615 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't know about any Renn Faires, but SCA has website (www.SCA.org)
  • chaoticupheaval
    chaoticupheaval Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The closest ren faire to me is the Texas Ren Fest in plantersville.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

awww, rennie babies! <3
    these are my rennie babies:

renniebabies.jpg

Awwww, adorable!
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MD Ren Faire here! Usually spend a small fortune at The Brass Dragon!

Not sure how my wench costume is going to fit me since I've lost weight in my chest *pout*

Have also been to the PA Ren Faire but I feel the MD one is far superior..although I am not happy about the lack of Hack & Slash and The Rogues...

I love the MD fair but haven't visited the PA one yet. I really do wish they could find another spot in MD though. It is just so crowded the last few weekends they hold it. This year the admission prices are lower for the first few weekends so that will hopefully help with the crowding problem.

PA has paved paths, horrible liquor laws, nobody tries to speak in the Queen's tongue and hardly any shopping *laff*

We like going on rainy weekend, still fun, nobody hardly shows up and you get covered head to toe in mud *laff* Great fun!

I doubt they will ever move...all that property is theirs and they won't give that up any time soon!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Love the Ren Faire :drinker: My boyfriend and I are going to the Bristol Renaissance in Wisconsin this Sunday. We have Faire garb...but have never been brave enough to wear it there, although more people are dressed in 'costume' then not!!!! I love all the people in Steampunk clothes too! So much fun!! Can't wait!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've heard of this and you all seem really into it. I'd love to get involved, but I'm not quite sure about the whole thing, how it works etc.

I checked your profile and it seems you're in the UK, yeah? If so, this may seem pretty silly to you. For some reason, we here in the US like to pretend it's the 1500's (or similar century) and we'll dress up in clothing that fits that time period, assume names that fit back then, and in some cases, actually assume the persona of someone who lived back then. I'll let the SCA people more accurately describe what that's all about, but in the case of Renaissance Festivals, entire villages are created, usually with the idea that it's a harvest festival, at which all manner of walks of life have come together to celebrate. Much drinking is done, jousting, archery, and swordsmanship tournaments are held, there are muscians and magicians and jugglers, etc. Imagine the old Safety Dance video come to life.

It's cheesy and fun and gives us a chance to be kids again, in the sense that it's almost like Halloween - we dress up, assume a new identity, etc. Some people get really into the concept and live it year round, and several of the entertainment acts will travel the country and make an actual living by performing at faire after faire.

Some faires (festivals) are more authentic than others, for sure. If you're shooting for authenticity, the "Disney-esque" ones will annoy you. But if you're going just to have a fun time, you totally won't mind the mermaids floating in the stock tank, or the fact that Queen E has a dozen different suitors following her around, or that King Henry is wearing shoes from totally the wrong time period. MOST patrons of a festival just go to breathe in the atmosphere, drink down some ale, root on some knights, and let their kids have a go at shooting an old-time crossbow.

You don't have to dress up to go to these things - I'd say at the Kansas City one, we see more people in regular clothing than we do of people who "garbed up". Last year, a little boy tugged on my skirt and asked me if, "Next year, can I come dressed as a ninja?" I smiled and nodded and told him he could come dressed up as ANYTHING he wanted. He grinned and ran back to his mom with the happy news. We see little girls in Disney Princess dresses ALL the time, and we always bow and scrape as if they're really princesses...because for each little girl...at that moment in time...she IS a princess. :)

Can you tell I love it?
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options

I checked your profile and it seems you're in the UK, yeah? If so, this may seem pretty silly to you. For some reason, we here in the US like to pretend it's the 1500's (or similar century) and we'll dress up in clothing that fits that time period, assume names that fit back then, and in some cases, actually assume the persona of someone who lived back then. I'll let the SCA people more accurately describe what that's all about, but in the case of Renaissance Festivals, entire villages are created, usually with the idea that it's a harvest festival, at which all manner of walks of life have come together to celebrate. Much drinking is done, jousting, archery, and swordsmanship tournaments are held, there are muscians and magicians and jugglers, etc. Imagine the old Safety Dance video come to life.

It's cheesy and fun and gives us a chance to be kids again, in the sense that it's almost like Halloween - we dress up, assume a new identity, etc. Some people get really into the concept and live it year round, and several of the entertainment acts will travel the country and make an actual living by performing at faire after faire.

Some faires (festivals) are more authentic than others, for sure. If you're shooting for authenticity, the "Disney-esque" ones will annoy you. But if you're going just to have a fun time, you totally won't mind the mermaids floating in the stock tank, or the fact that Queen E has a dozen different suitors following her around, or that King Henry is wearing shoes from totally the wrong time period. MOST patrons of a festival just go to breathe in the atmosphere, drink down some ale, root on some knights, and let their kids have a go at shooting an old-time crossbow.

You don't have to dress up to go to these things - I'd say at the Kansas City one, we see more people in regular clothing than we do of people who "garbed up". Last year, a little boy tugged on my skirt and asked me if, "Next year, can I come dressed as a ninja?" I smiled and nodded and told him he could come dressed up as ANYTHING he wanted. He grinned and ran back to his mom with the happy news. We see little girls in Disney Princess dresses ALL the time, and we always bow and scrape as if they're really princesses...because for each little girl...at that moment in time...she IS a princess. :)

Can you tell I love it?

Yeah, I'm British through and through and it's not too silly a concept really.
    I don't know if it's a big thing in the US so forgive me if you already know about it, but Steampunk (Very similar to this but geared more towards the Victorian sci fi than the renaissance) is a big thing among a few of my mates and a lot of pepole near where I live.
    and this sounds really good actually :) I'm known at school as a bit of a Shakespeare geek and it sounds like my sort of thing.
    Thank you for the information, it's something I'm definitely going to look into :)
    Thank you x