Moms...

Options

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I work around 60-70 hours a week on average.

I get up at 5:30 am to workout, or I do it directly after work between jobs (I have 3) or at lunch time. I have a shower in my office so if I need to get cleaned up, I can use that though certain times of the year, it can be impractical (I work on a college campus).

I sometimes work out at night after my kids go to bed (I have 6 and 4 yo, I also have 2 adult children but they are living on their own).

What helps me a bunch is walking to work. I'm fortunate enough that I live about 1-1/2 miles to work...so it adds an additional 45 minutes of walking to my routine each day (average cal burn 200). It helps that I live in the mountains so I have to climb very steep hills and lots of stairs to get to my office.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    During toddler naps or before she's up. Lately I've been needing to sleep in and find it easier to squeeze in a 20-30 minute video (my favorite is Blogilates on Youtube!) later during nappy time. :]
  • KellyR72
    KellyR72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    5:00 am workouts before I get them off to school (or grandma's in the summer) and I go to work. Not easy, but it's the only time I can fit it in! If I say I will do it in the evenings, something almost always comes up.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I also work full time (8-5) and have a 7 and 8 year old. I made tons of excuses before and had horrible mommy guilt if I worked out and "left them" with my husband before or after work. What finally motivated me was that my 8 year old joined a swim team and they practice at the university rec center. Since I work at the university, I could get a membership there. So, instead of sitting there watching my son swim, I hit the exercise equipment. Then I saw an ad for a morning boot camp and signed up for that (early morning and I could shower there and be at work on time). When the kids and dh are back in school, it's going to be harder to find time, but I've decided that I NEED to do this for me and it makes me a better mommy, so I'm really trying to loose the mommy guilt for times that I will work out that I could be spending with them.

For those who go to the gym during their lunch break, how do you do it. I've thought about doing this myself, but I don't see how I can get there, work out, shower, and get back in an hour.
  • Karen1157
    Options
    at night time around 8 pm
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am jealous. I work 5 days a week, and Im gone 7am to 6pm. When I get home I only have 2 hours to spend with my baby before he goes to bed. I feel so guilty working out when he is awake. Then when he goes to bed I have other things to do or Im too tired. I know, I know. Im making excuses.

My schedule is the same as yours. Also, my husband travels for work so I am often on my own with my little ones in the evening and it's near impossible to work out with them wandering around unsupervised. I get up in the morning and workout. It's hard but once you get in the groove it isn't as bad as it is at first. My alarm goes off at 5:00 and I'm either out for a run (if my husband is home) or in the basement doing a video or on the treadmill by 5:15. I work out until 6:00 or 6:15 and then get ready for work. The trick is to go to bed early enough. I try to head up to bed by 9:30. If I'm later than 10:00 then that 5:00 alarm is a real bummer. I'm not going to lie... I'm not perfect and there are nights I stay up too late and mornings I don't get up but if I can do it at least 4 out of 5 mornings, I call that a success.

Feel free to friend me for extra support...
  • stephdg89
    Options
    During "nap time". My kiddo is two and has pretty much never napped in her life, but she is way too young to give up naps and way too cranky if I don't lay her down, so when I put her down I do my work out, shower, clean up the house and start dinner. (I'm a stay at home mom).
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When my kids are napping :laugh:
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I workout while they take naps, while they're eating, when they want to play alone in their room, and while hubby watches them. They also sometimes join me in the workout (swimming and the walk away the pounds videos... sometimes yoga). Do it however you need to to fit it in your day, even if you do a couple of 15-30 minute sessions instead of a drawn out workout.
  • happyceliza
    happyceliza Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom with an 8, 5 and 18 m old. I exercise when the toddler naps. The older kids can entertain themselves long enough. They like to watch me do the Wii games (Exerbeat and Walk it Out)
  • ashleyjoy80
    Options
    I'm a mom to 3 kids and I get my workouts on when my kids are around. Sometimes I run when my youngest one gets up in the morning and I push him in the BoB. Other days when they're all awake I push 2 kids in the BoB and run behind my oldest that's riding a bike. I do DVD's at home with them under my feet all the time. They've learned that my workouts are important and they usually sit back and watch or join me doing silly little exercises next to me. I want them to see me take care of my body. I want to include them in it as much as possible so I can lead by example.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings, after my dinner has settled. Mine are teenagers now though.
  • findingskinnyme731
    Options
    Call me crazy but I get up M-F at 4:30 am just to be able to get to the gym at 5:00, so that I can get my workout in while the kiddies are asleep and get back home to take a shower, get the family ready and go to work. I tried going to the gym after work but it's way too hard to squeeze that in with dinner, homework help and bedtime stories. If anyone knows of any other tips and tricks please let me know b/c I'm freaking exhausted. LMAO
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just joined CrossFit and they have included day care for our 10 month old.

If I want to do some body exercises at home then she's either napping or she's playing right by my side.

Sometimes we go running steps and we do it in intervals. One person stays down while the other is running then we take turns.
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    Single mom. Full time college. Two part time jobs. I work out at night between 7-8. After work. After dinner. Before bedtime for my daughter and before homework for me.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day shred to get a full body workout in less than half an hour.

On days I work (10 hour days), I do it as soon as I get home while hubby starts dinner and watches the kids. On the days I'm home (I work 3 days a week), I do it as soon as I put my 5 month old down for her nap.

My 3 year old does it with me and says, "Go, mommy, go! Go faster!"

I am jealous. I work 5 days a week, and Im gone 7am to 6pm. When I get home I only have 2 hours to spend with my baby before he goes to bed. I feel so guilty working out when he is awake. Then when he goes to bed I have other things to do or Im too tired. I know, I know. Im making excuses.

Yeah, I've got a nice work schedule but I'd be making the time everyday after work if I had to. Trust me, I understand how you feel. When my older daughter was a baby, I didn't want to "waste" a minute of time with her either. But now I know that I don't have to feel guilty for taking a few minutes for me. Maybe it's because I have two kids and I had to come to peace with the fact that I can never give both of them all my attention all the time. Or maybe it's because I know my husband deserves his time with them as well. But part of it is that they deserve to be shown the example of a healthy lifestyle from an early age. I owe it to them to take care of myself. This way, healthy eating and exercising will be part of everyday life for them.

The "other things to do" is exactly why I do it as soon as I get home from work. That way, it's out of the way and I can't make excuses about running out of time later in the evening. As soon as the baby's in bed, I start my chores. Luckily my older daughter enjoys helping me, so this can be time spent together. Then once she goes to bed, I can spends a few minutes hanging out with my husband. Finding a good work-life balance is difficult, but it can be done. You just have to prioritize. And honestly, if I get my exercise and spend time with my family, I don't really care if my house is perpetually cluttered.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Single mom. Full time college. Two part time jobs. I work out at night between 7-8. After work. After dinner. Before bedtime for my daughter and before homework for me.

Rockstar!
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    It's got to be a priority. I would rather leave a sink full of dishes or not put the laundry away than not work out.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I am finding it harder at the moment as kids are off school on summer holidays! i try to take them out on their bikes once aday whilst i walk fast along (about 30 - 40 mins) then i work out in the evenings when they are in bed. At around 8.30pm....i seem to find time to work out but balencing that and eating is proving hard! If i eat before i work out i tend to eat at about 5pm and i am starving afterwads and if i eat afterwards i dont tend to eat until 9.30 - 10pm which seems crazy late for main meal!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I have been known to get up before everyone else in the morning, even if it's at 4am, to workout.