How to go from skinny-fat to muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Interesting...it sounds like the bod pod isn't as spot-on as my exercise physiologist would have me believe. Unfortunately, it's all I have easy & free access to. But I breathe a big sigh of relief that I might not actually be 34% fat at my size. I still think it's time to pause the weight loss and work on strength for a while, so will press forward.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have have been in the same situation. Get the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, it will be helpful for you regarding mindset and I started in that direction for awhile. However, I am now doing P90X and really like it. I don't like the resistance bands because those don't seem challenging enough for building, so I invested in a set of weights for home that go up to 50lbs (dumbells), as well as a bar and weights to deadlift. That way I am not dependent on the gym since I am also short on time. I alternate this with my cardio, which I love as well, and I have had better results than any other time I have lost weight in retaining muscle
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Interesting...it sounds like the bod pod isn't as spot-on as my exercise physiologist would have me believe. Unfortunately, it's all I have easy & free access to. But I breathe a big sigh of relief that I might not actually be 34% fat at my size. I still think it's time to pause the weight loss and work on strength for a while, so will press forward.

My suggestion is to eat at maintenance of just below, and strength train with heavy weight and full body compound movements.

Rae and Hendrix made excellent suggestions...with great information backing them.

You don't need a 72 exercise 5 day split workout to see results...as a matter of fact, I'd argue that the more simple your workout, the better your adherance, and assuming the proper exercises...the better your overall results will be. Stronglifts is a great place to start. My workout is probably even more simple, it's a 3 day split, and targets your whole body. It would be effective for either a man, or a woman:

Monday
    Deadlifts/Weighted Chin Ups

Wednesday
    Bench Press/Weighted Dips

Friday
    Squats/Weighted Calf Raises

You can do 5x5, 3x8, or eventually like me...a reverse pyramid format for your sets. I would suggest 3x8 for a few weeks while you work on form, then 5x5. What this means is you need to be using a weight you can lift no more than 8 or so times without losing form. This is what conditions you for strength.

Disclaimer!! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SQUAT OR DEADLIFT!!!....research these exercises first. YouTube Rippetoe, research 'Starting Strength'!! These exercises are intense, and while you shouldn't be scared of them...doing them with improper form can get you hurt.

You should see effective changes in as little as two weeks...and no more than a month :).
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MFPBrandy
    Options

My suggestion is to eat at maintenance of just below, and strength train with heavy weight and full body compound movements.

Rae and Hendrix made excellent suggestions...with great information backing them.

You don't need a 72 exercise 5 day split workout to see results...as a matter of fact, I'd argue that the more simple your workout, the better your adherance, and assuming the proper exercises...the better your overall results will be. Stronglifts is a great place to start. My workout is probably even more simple, it's a 3 day split, and targets your whole body. It would be effective for either a man, or a woman:

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

You can do 5x5, 3x8, or eventually like me...a reverse pyramid format for your sets. I would suggest 3x8 for a few weeks while you work on form, then 5x5. What this means is you need to be using a weight you can lift no more than 8 or so times without losing form. This is what conditions you for strength.

Disclaimer!! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SQUAT OR DEADLIFT!!!....research these exercises first. YouTube Rippetoe, research 'Starting Strength'!! These exercises are intense, and while you shouldn't be scared of them...doing them with improper form can get you hurt.

You should see effective changes in as little as two weeks...and no more than a month :).
    Thanks, that was going to be my next question. :)
    I just finished reading the 5x5 plan, and it didn't have anything in there about HOW to do the exercises. I need visuals, so thanks for the leads.
    Am off to the store to buy a bar and some weights!
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    Have have been in the same situation. Get the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, it will be helpful for you regarding mindset and I started in that direction for awhile. However, I am now doing P90X and really like it. I don't like the resistance bands because those don't seem challenging enough for building, so I invested in a set of weights for home that go up to 50lbs (dumbells), as well as a bar and weights to deadlift. That way I am not dependent on the gym since I am also short on time. I alternate this with my cardio, which I love as well, and I have had better results than any other time I have lost weight in retaining muscle
    I read the reviews, and it sounds like most of the book is about the WHY, vs. the HOW. A lot of people sure do like it, though!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

Thanks, that was going to be my next question. :)
    I just finished reading the 5x5 plan, and it didn't have anything in there about HOW to do the exercises. I need visuals, so thanks for the leads.
    Am off to the store to buy a bar and some weights!

A couple things...

First, if you're going to do squats and deadlifts, get a gym membership, or at minimum buy a cage/squat rack if you're going to lift at home (and USE the cage/squat rack if you're doing it at the gym!). Again...these exercises aren't dumbbell curls, and without proper precautions...you can hurt yourself.

Second, if you're doing this properly...you're going to be needing more and more weight very quickly. What I'm lifting now, in terms of weight...would cost me (even at $.50/lb) over $150...and that's without things like the bench, cage...etc. Add the rest and you're looking at an easy $300

That's nearly a year of gym fees at most places. Almost 2yrs for me.

ETA - Regarding New Rules...it's not my favorite resource...but it's better than many out there in that it's comprehensive, pretty simple, and a program that can be used and gives results. It's certainly an ok place to start if you're trying to do this from scratch.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Great question... not that I have an answer - but only have the same question!

7 months ago I got hit with a bizarre illness and ended up bedridden for 2 months, and then mostly bedridden for another 2 months. I have definitely lost muscle mass. I am under the care of a naturopath and am on a restricted paleo diet. Basically all I can eat is meat, some fish, cooked vegetables (has to be cooked for my digestive system) and occasionals pears or apples. I also do rice protein shakes (but they can only have water, psyllium fibre, protein powder and a small amount of chia seeds) - tastes awful.

I am 5"7 and now weigh 141lbs. No idea what my body fat % is. I imagine it's still quite high. Even though I've now lost 29lbs since this illness started, I still have excess fat (mostly on my upper thighs) and my leg muscles get very weak very quickly. (I used to have good lower body strength) Now, I feel exhausted going up one flight of stairs in my townhouse.

My complex has great amenities with a cardio gym, weight gym and an outdoor pool. I swim laps a couple days/week, but again, feel exhausted. Now I'm adding in the stationary bikes to see if that can help rebuild my leg muscles. And within the next few weeks, I want to add some leg lifts at the weight gym. So that's my little plan, but I don't know if it will be enough to really build that muscle back.

If you lost a lot of muscle quickly due to an illness, it is likely you will gain it back relatively quickly as well. Also, your current weakness could just as easily be due to a lack of conditioning as a "lack of muscle".

I would just focus on getting back into a regular routine, including cardio and resistance training, and see what happens.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Great question... not that I have an answer - but only have the same question!

7 months ago I got hit with a bizarre illness and ended up bedridden for 2 months, and then mostly bedridden for another 2 months. I have definitely lost muscle mass. I am under the care of a naturopath and am on a restricted paleo diet. Basically all I can eat is meat, some fish, cooked vegetables (has to be cooked for my digestive system) and occasionals pears or apples. I also do rice protein shakes (but they can only have water, psyllium fibre, protein powder and a small amount of chia seeds) - tastes awful.

I am 5"7 and now weigh 141lbs. No idea what my body fat % is. I imagine it's still quite high. Even though I've now lost 29lbs since this illness started, I still have excess fat (mostly on my upper thighs) and my leg muscles get very weak very quickly. (I used to have good lower body strength) Now, I feel exhausted going up one flight of stairs in my townhouse.

My complex has great amenities with a cardio gym, weight gym and an outdoor pool. I swim laps a couple days/week, but again, feel exhausted. Now I'm adding in the stationary bikes to see if that can help rebuild my leg muscles. And within the next few weeks, I want to add some leg lifts at the weight gym. So that's my little plan, but I don't know if it will be enough to really build that muscle back.

I would suggest skipping the cardio for now (at least as your main form of exercise...2 days a week is more than enough). Start straight out weight training at whatever level your strength allows.

Also, yes...you surely lost muscle (some), but mostly what you lost isn't what you're thinking. I had surgery on my lower right biceps tendon in February. My right biceps was basically immobilized for about a month. It shrank almost TWO INCHES as compared to my left biceps. Within a month of being back at the gym...it basically sprang back to very nearly the same size. It's STILL stronger than my left biceps, though it's still a bit smaller. What I lost, and you probably have lost as well...is overall glycogen storage. That would contribute to much of your weight loss also. Once you get back to lifting (and cardio eventually), you'll find your strength returns VERY quickly...as will most of the overall shape and definition you had previously.

Good luck and I hope this helps!
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    well to achieve that you must have a good diet plan and exercise, include wight lifting or strength training that helps build and tone up muscles eat food that are lot in protein