why obsess over carbs?

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You are 23, maybe you would consider other dietary options if you were, say, 41 and had a metabolism that had been knocked-about by the progress of time and a diet too heavy in carbohydrate.

When I was 23 I had way more latitude for my diet and I'd be rabbiting 'a calorie is a calorie' and 'we need carbs for energy'. Hey, just eat less and exercise more lardy!

Given I am 41 and prone to reading up about the science, not magazine articles, I don't rabbit anymore.

Agree

when i was 23 i ate EVERYTHING, all the time and was 9 stone. when you hit your late twenties you may not be so smug :)
  • rustythezippergirl
    Options
    I eat lower carb. They are absolutely not needed, with the exception of fiber.

exactly right, there are no "essential" carbohydrates. and if the idea is to lose FAT not weight, exercise and low carb can help you to attain your goal. when your body has no caarbs for fuel, it uses your fat stores, after exhausting the glycogen in your liver, and muscles.
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    You are 23, maybe you would consider other dietary options if you were, say, 41 and had a metabolism that had been knocked-about by the progress of time and a diet too heavy in carbohydrate.

When I was 23 I had way more latitude for my diet and I'd be rabbiting 'a calorie is a calorie' and 'we need carbs for energy'. Hey, just eat less and exercise more lardy!

Given I am 41 and prone to reading up about the science, not magazine articles, I don't rabbit anymore.

Agree

when i was 23 i ate EVERYTHING, all the time and was 9 stone. when you hit your late twenties you may not be so smug :)

I dont understand why people think i am being smug???I work very hard to keep at the weight I am at and i genuenly not got a very deep knowledge of carbs so I put a question out there?!why is that smug?
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If someone sat here and said "gosh I gave up whiskey for a while but I could never give it up forever" would we all be saying thats a perfectly natural approach to something. I don't get why bread has this magical powers over people.

It's great that some of you can eat calories in calories out and lose weight / feel healthy. Why is it so difficult to understand that some people can't? I can tolerate dairy, maybe because my son can't at all makes me more understanding to the "everyones different" rule.

It's the fact that you are so blind to people being different, that you can do it so everyone must be able to, that makes you sound smug.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    People obsess over carbs because it's a form of control, and I would guess most people get overweight due to a lack of control. Focusing on something makes it easier, be that cutting out carbs, or meat, or fat. It's a form of diet restriction, which makes us think about what we eat.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    ...I dont understand why some people obsess over carbs...these are needed by our bodies to function?!its not about the amount of daily carbs but the type of carb as far as i am concerned...in past year i have lost over 10kg(around 1.5 stone)...and I have not done any dieting.I eat everything in moderation and exercise a little everyday. since joining MFP i almost fell into the dieting thing as i kept on reading that carbs are bad, or this and that...and i stopped losing and always felt hungry.so i am back to eating variety of foods and everything I like just in moderation. or do ppl think I am missing a point?and actually shud be limiting carbs?!

Above is your original post.

You make a fair few sweeping statements tbf. When you say things like ..

in past year i have lost over 10kg(around 1.5 stone)...and I have not done any dieting.I eat everything in moderation and exercise a little everyday

makes it sounds like you think that because you can do it that way anyone can. Unless you know everyone you can't make those statements without sounding at best a little ignorant. I don't mean this rudely at all but you asked why you are accused of feeling smug. That would be it.
  • fteale
    Options

exactly right, there are no "essential" carbohydrates. and if the idea is to lose FAT not weight, exercise and low carb can help you to attain your goal. when your body has no caarbs for fuel, it uses your fat stores, after exhausting the glycogen in your liver, and muscles.

You do realise that the "essential" in fat refers to the molecular structure, not their necessity in our diet?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol, there is no metabolic advantage to low carb/keto diets barring those with a medical condition or intolerance that would require one to limt cho
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think anything in moderation is just fine. Also, gluten free does not equal carb free, so going on a gluten free diet does not limit your carb intake in any way, it just eliminates wheat, barley, and rye products.
  • Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and I'm insulin resistant. I'm 5'7 and 217 pounds after losing 73 pounds eating low carb. Some people just can't process wonderful, delicious carbs.

I am also insulin resistant, but interestingly I do much better on a higher carb diet - I feel better when eating higher carb, as long as I make sure to have some fat and protein with it. And I mostly eat white carbs - I have IBS, and a serving of, say, brown rice, can destroy me for a few days. White rice/bread/pasta is much easier to digest, but then there are the potential blood sugar issues. Basically, with IR and IBS, I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

I guess my point is - there is no ideal diet that works best for everyone, and at all times!!!! In times of stress, or due to aging, dietary needs can change.
  • fteale
    Options
    I think anything in moderation is just fine. Also, gluten free does not equal carb free, so going on a gluten free diet does not limit your carb intake in any way, it just eliminates wheat, barley, and rye products.

I find my carb intake goes up when I am gluten free, as wheat substitutes usually contain more carbs and less protein than whole wheat.
  • Anya06
    Anya06 Posts: 95
    Options
    ...I dont understand why some people obsess over carbs...these are needed by our bodies to function?!its not about the amount of daily carbs but the type of carb as far as i am concerned...in past year i have lost over 10kg(around 1.5 stone)...and I have not done any dieting.I eat everything in moderation and exercise a little everyday. since joining MFP i almost fell into the dieting thing as i kept on reading that carbs are bad, or this and that...and i stopped losing and always felt hungry.so i am back to eating variety of foods and everything I like just in moderation. or do ppl think I am missing a point?and actually shud be limiting carbs?!

Above is your original post.

You make a fair few sweeping statements tbf. When you say things like ..

in past year i have lost over 10kg(around 1.5 stone)...and I have not done any dieting.I eat everything in moderation and exercise a little everyday

makes it sounds like you think that because you can do it that way anyone can. Unless you know everyone you can't make those statements without sounding at best a little ignorant. I don't mean this rudely at all but you asked why you are accused of feeling smug. That would be it.

I am sorry if anybof my comments sounded insulting, what i was trying to get at is that i find eating everything in moderation works for me,but i bust my *kitten* exercising everyday,hence the weight loss...i dont know much about carbs and diet so i asked and many ppl have been so helpful and made some very interesting point...but others seem to take it defensively and get personal on me which i think is awful for sayong this site is supposed to promote support and encouragement?!I never once said anything negative to anyone...but hey suppose that the way online forums are everyone is intitled to their oppinion
  • TimedEventSystem
    Options

Lol, there is no metabolic advantage to low carb/keto diets barring those with a medical condition or intolerance that would require one to limt cho

You're confusing metabolic rate and the resources it draws from. There's a reason why people do RMR testing and look to see what ratio they're burning carbs and fat.

If you're looking to prepare for a major weight loss of fat, many dietitians and exercise physiologists have agreed on trying to lower carbohydrate intake to force the body to consume more existing fat. However, it is a very new school of thought, which probably came around 2 or so years ago.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You're confusing metabolic rate and the resources it draws from. There's a reason why people do RMR testing and look to see what ratio they're burning carbs and fat.

If you're looking to prepare for a major weight loss of fat, many dietitians and exercise physiologists have agreed on trying to lower carbohydrate intake to force the body to consume more existing fat. However, it is a very new school of thought, which probably came around 2 or so years ago.

Actually I'm not, hold cals and protein constant and fat loss will not be significantly different. Kekwick and Pawan theorized the metabolic advantage back in the 50's and it prob goes back even further, so not even close to 2 yrs
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Not sure if obsession is really a good word to choose. Just dump high glycemic carbs to your diet all day long and let me know how well you do a month later. If you are diabetic then there is an understandable a mount of concern that I would expect someone's who's body relies on keeping their glucose levels controlled. Otherwise if you are dieting then just be mindful of what you are suppose to eat.

Update: Heck I have a glucose measuring machine that I use to show how my glucose levels are affected by something I have recently introduced to my day. Had my last meal about 1.5-2.0 hours ago and my glucose levels only increase to 95 mg/dl. My levels are usually 79-81 when I just wake up out of bed.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    but I am advocating one that is devoid of refined carbohydrates (i.e sugar, white flour, processed foods)

I never said that 100% avoidance of sugar and white flour/rice/pasta was the way to go.

de·void/diˈvoid/
    Adjective:
    Entirely lacking or free from:
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    but I am advocating one that is devoid of refined carbohydrates (i.e sugar, white flour, processed foods)

I never said that 100% avoidance of sugar and white flour/rice/pasta was the way to go.

de·void/diˈvoid/
    Adjective:
    Entirely lacking or free from:

:love:
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options

well i would say given you are 41 and I am 23 the attitude you speak with to a young female stinks!!! whole point of thos post is that if u exercise (which bosts ur metabolism) and eat in moderation everything is ok...regardless of you age or gender.also to make an assumption or try to imply that I am uneducated by making a magazine comment is very narrow minded and says more for you than me...
    Im going to delet my post here.. nevermind lol
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but when person calls you "lardy" - that's just plain rude. I don't know if he meant it as a joke but it's not appropriate.
  • angusmike
    Options
    Because I've been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I want to avoid taking insulin, therefore its important to lower my blood glucose levels. I suffered a severe attack of pancreatitus four years ago, lost 25% of my pancreas, and the pancreatic ducts are scarred and thus secret insufficient insulin.

I believe that I can control my blood glucose via medication, weight loss via exercise and limiting carbs. I'm 62 years old, 5'10" tall and weigh between 189 and 185 pounds.

Any other questions?