World of Warcraft ruined my life!

Options
12346»

Replies

• lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    I'm a recovering level 80 Blood Elf Mage (Kil'jaeden server), it's been a few years. I partially blame the wonderful game for my weight gain, along with making the transition from student to full-time office worker with a 3.5 hour commute each day. My now-husband and I were in a serious raiding guild where we had to be online and ready every night. Even if I didn't get taken on the raid, I'd have to spend the time farming for the guild.. it was such a life drain (though definitely entertaining and I met a lot of neat people).

You can do it!!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I played WoW for about two years back when it came out. I loved it! Of course I had no life. I actually LOST weight playing, though.
    All those burned dinners while raiding...

I played Aion for about a year. Great MMO, I must say.
    Played Lord of the Rings Online for 18 months. Loved it.

Beta tested StarWars the Old Republic but decided against it because I will be dropping everything the second Diablo III comes out.

Beta testing Diablo III currently and desperate for them to release the game already!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Play DDO it a little more forgiving and less time consuming!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Everquest hardcore back in the day to the point that their FanFaire was a quarter mile from my apartment one year on the same street I lived on, and instead of meeting people I talked to daily, I stayed home and played since the server was emptier and I could get the best camping spots. Played WoW for about 5 years too, but never liked it that much, it was more just social time with friends, but I did put insane amounts of time into that game sitting on my *kitten*. I don't think I've touched an MMO in 2 years though and much happier for it.

Though I still do play occasionally, mainly at work when traveling to kill time. but I only play games that don't require close attention and are easy to walk away from now. Currently that is Skyrim, Civ5, and Football Manager 2011.
  • LadySylvanas
    LadySylvanas Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i used to play wow 12-15 hours a day 5-6 years ago. slowly piled on the pounds, became very antisocial and in the end - depressed. only good thing about wow was finding my husband there lol! we met on wow like proper nerds.
    6 years later now im not an addict anymore but the weight remained. im still struggling to socialize but im definitely getting better. if i can lose this weight i believe it will boost my confidence and then maybe i can be myself again after 6 years. :/
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    My ex used to play Final Fantasy literally every night from 5:30 pm to 3 am in the morning. I think he played while I was at work too, but he won't admit it. He'd sleep till noon, and he didn't have a job like, EVER. I will never never never date another guy that plays games. Ever.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This whole thread made me smile, been a gamer since my Atari 2600. started playing WoW in vanilla got my wife addicted in BC, add years at a PC and 90 lbs. On June 1st this year we both switched our nightly routine from raiding to working out. down 23 lbs between the two of us so far! Grats to the rest of you for moving forward. Ex-guild leader, Ex-raid leader soon to be Ex fat guy!
    Like i told my fellow raiders:
    If you fall on your face, you're still moving forward; push on.
    I welcome any friend invites!
  • KellyConsiglio
    Options
    Huge gamer here. Though when I was at my most addicted to WoW (playing from 8am until about 3am in the morning at one point ) I was also at my lightest since I would skip meals whenever I raided which was 5 nights a week!
    Gaming's always been a big addiction for me starting from as young as 7 when I'd spend as many hours playing FF7 as possible.
    Now I'm married, just completed my degree and don't have so much time to raid/play video games but i do still love to get an hour or two in there on the weekend! Anyone on EU WoW servers feel free to message me for RealID.
    Any friend invites welcome too :) New here so would be great to encourage people and to be encouraged ^.^ Looking to lose about a stone as that's when I was at my healthiest and fittest!
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I totally did a double take when I saw this thread! Duuuude, same story with me. Only I was up to almost 260 before I quit WoW, haha. Thankfully I've lost a good chunk of it since (it's been 3 years and down to 188), but I'd love to be friends with you if you'd like. :) We can curse Blizzard together!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    not weight related but I really think this videogame was one (along others) reasons to end a 5-years relationship with my ex-bf....
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't play WoW, but I do play another one like it in my free time, and it hasn't affected my weight at all. I think the difference is that I don't eat while playing games. I am too focused on the action. I also take time out to hit the trails or the gym "IRL" on a regular basis, so I'm physically fit as well. It's not WoW's (or any other game's) fault when people selfishly destroy their relationships or pack on the pounds. Self control, people! :smile:
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to play! I was also addicted, as was my husband. We had level 80s of every class during WOTLK, between the 2 of us. My main was a 80 Draenei Paladin (on US-Khadgar). We were in top guilds and were often realm firsts. But... we didn't do ANYTHING else. I eventually got a job where I had to actually work during the day and evenings, so I quit first.. then my husband joined me and quit also. But I miss it sometimes. I think MOP looks fun. Someday I'll go back, maybe! But carefully!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to online games, but a job that required sitting daily plus a lot of hours online every night made me a blob. The easiest start to helping it for me was TO STAND UP WHILE ON THE COMPUTER. I have mine on a cardboard box, because I don't care about fancy stuff, and I stand up at work when I am alone, and in the year or so I have done it, my core muscles and legs and everything have gotten much more toned, without any other effort. It may not make you go (for example, pulled out of nowhere) from 400 pounds to 120 or anything, but it may make you go from 400 to less weight with more toned core muscles, even if you don't do much else, if only by increasing metabolism and making you feel better. To me, it gave me an experience similar to when I was younger and worked more active jobs, and was always in better shape, whether I did martial arts or not, and it was such a nice relief to find out that it helped me again. Might be worth a try for folks just starting to improve their fitness who are online or at a desk a lot--