Protein for breakfast

Options

Replies

• Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a rush, I take 2 scoups of some midgrade whey protein (@ 50g and low in calories) + frozen strawberrys, pineapples, blueberries and a banana. Put it in the blender and BAM!!!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You might also want to look into some high protein cold cereal. Kashi makes several kinds, and I believe Special K comes in a higher protein version too. The milk (cow's, soy, almond) will add a bit more protein. You can also add some chopped nuts (but measure--nuts are high in calories).
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I eat only protein and vegetables for breakfast - normally I would just make an extra portion when I cook dinner the previous night to take to work.

I also cook a whole heap of chicken up and then freeze it in one portion size containers that I can take to work for breakfast or lunch.

Eggs - again I cook up a batch of hard boiled eggs for a quick on the run protein fix (or quickly make scrambled eggs - I add some vegetables like spinach and chopped mushrooms)

Before I did Paleo I would also always have a tub of cottage cheese at work in the fridge for when I needed a protein fix.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
    http://www.theyummylife.com/8_muesli_flavors

I don't know if this is high protein enough for you, but I make variations of this alot in the summer and love it.

It's basically rolled oats, yogurt, milk, (chia seeds if you want), and fruit. YUMMY!!! It has fiber and protein to help you stay full until lunch.
  • rosela
    rosela Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy premeir protien shakes and bars at costco. they have 30 gm of protein and only 160 cal. and they taste good.
    They are lower gram of sugar.
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I put yogurt in ice cube trays. Throw 2 or 3 in the blender with a banana, blueberries or cherries whatever we have, a scoop of peanut butter(i never met a protein powder i liked) and few ice cubes and water. its quick and filling.
  • GmasDolly
    GmasDolly Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This recipe sounds awesome. TY for posting it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually make a batch of baked oatmeal on the weekends. It has oatmeal, peanut butter, and milk, and some brown sugar, then I add Nutiva's hemp protein powder with fiber. It keeps me feeling full for about three hours if I drink water with it, or all the way until lunch time if I drink an 8 oz glass of milk with it. You can do a Google search for baked oatmeal recipes to find one that suits your taste. I spend about an hour between baking, cooling, cutting, and bagging, then I don't have to worry about breakfast all week.
  • snelljones
    Options
    Fage Greek yogurt is very high in protein. I like to sweeten mine with artificial sweetener or honey and top with low fat granola. It's also a great way to add protein to a fruit smoothie.
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually make a batch of baked oatmeal on the weekends. It has oatmeal, peanut butter, and milk, and some brown sugar, then I add Nutiva's hemp protein powder with fiber. It keeps me feeling full for about three hours if I drink water with it, or all the way until lunch time if I drink an 8 oz glass of milk with it. You can do a Google search for baked oatmeal recipes to find one that suits your taste. I spend about an hour between baking, cooling, cutting, and bagging, then I don't have to worry about breakfast all week.

Sounds good,, I have a bowl of oatmeal with planters healty nut mix, half scoop of protein powder, splash of milk and out the door, takes all of about 2 minutes to make. eat a banana walking out to the car and away I go.

I am going to check out the baked oatmeal, thanks for posting it.
  • pumkinhead1
    Options
    That is a great idea.
  • eirb
    eirb Posts: 1
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites. I experiment with high-protein meals every day, so I'm always trying new recipes:

Devil's food cake -- 1 cup plain 0% greek yogurt, mix with some Truvia and vanilla extract to taste, serve with a VitaTop muffin of flavor of your choice (although I highly recommend the velvety chocolate kind) serve by dolloping one spoonful of yogurt on the muffintop and the leftover yogurt on the side with some cinnamon, a warm banana and some granola on top. Total: 220 calories, 25g protein.

Greek yogurt parfait -- use plain greek yogurt, mix again with sweetener and vanilla extract and layer with fresh fruits like pineapple, strawberry, blueberry etc. Add some granola on the top for a great crunch. Total: usually about 250 cals, 25g protein.

Chocolate, banana and peanut butter greek yogurt protein parfait -- use plain greek yogurt, mix with chocolate protein powder and sweetener. Put one layer of granola and warm banana down, then yogurt, and repeat. On the top of the entire parfait, put a tablespoon of your favorite peanut butter. The cals and macronutrients depend on what yogurt and powder you use, but mine is usually 380 cals, 40g protein.

Banana protein pancakes -- mash about 2/3 of a banana in a bowl, combine with about 3 TBSP of egg whites, add vanilla extract and cinnamon and about 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder. Cook on a skillet like normal pancakes. (note: using whey will make the pancakes very spongy but still delicious. I have found pea protein to work the best.)

Greek yogurt protein pancakes -- mix 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 egg white, 1 tsp baking soda and cinnamon and sweetener to taste. Cook on a skillet and enjoy with some sugar free syrup. Total: 280 cals, 23g protein.

Egg white hash wrap -- cook about 1/3 of a potato in the microwave, cut it into small bits, put it in a skillet with some olive oil and cracked pepper. Scramble some egg whites in another skillet along with some peppers, then add them to the skillet with the potato mix. Add a slice of cooked turkey/veggie bacon to the skillet, melt some cheese on top, then use either a low carb tortilla (using those will increase protein total) or 2 light corn tortillas. Total: usually about 330 cals, 30g protein depending on how eggy you like your wraps.

Egg white omelet -- easy easy, just take some egg whites and mix with fresh veggies like spinach, peppers or mushrooms; or some ham, turkey bacon, shredded cheese, etc. Cook it like an omelet and add a Laughing Cow cheese to the inside before you flip it into a half. Serve with some wheat toast and fruit. Total: usually about 300 cals, 20g protein.

Egg white sammy -- toast a whole wheat english muffin, add some cooked egg whites with a slice of Laughing Cow cheese spread onto both sides. Add some turkey sausage, lean ham or turkey bacon for more of a smokey flavor if you can afford the sodium and fat. Total without meat: 180 cals, 17g protein.

Proats -- get some oatmeal cooked (make sure it's a tiny bit watery), after it's cooked add about 1/2 scoop of protein powder and mix to make "proatmeal." (note: make sure you have great tasting protein powder. Gold Standard has delicious ones, and some brands even make cinnamon bun flavored ones now too). Add sweeteners to taste. For deliciousness and indulgence: add a crushed-up peanut butter protein bar and warm bananas to make it more of a dessert. Proats only: about 180 cals, 20g protein. With the bar: 360 cals, 39g protein.

I find that egg whites and greek yogurt go a really long way for breakfast. Van's Foods makes some power grains waffles now that have a decent amount of protein (10g) per two waffles, and they're great with a scoop of vanilla greek yogurt and cinnamon if you're looking for a fast protein fix for those days where you really don't feel like making breakfast!

Hope some of these helped :happy: Looking forward to getting new recipe inspirations from everyone else here!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For quick and easy, stir a scoop of chocolate whey into your morning coffee to go with that breakfast bar.

Later, there is nothing wrong with pulling a greek yogurt and a clementine orange out of your lunch box to tide you over to lunch.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't care to eat for a while after waking and yet don't want to skip breakfast. I do the following:

1 scoop of protein powder
    2-4 oz of non fat, plain chobani yogurt [or other similar brand with no extra sugar]
    fresh peaches or blueberries or strawberries [your favorites]
    And enough almond milk to get the consistency I like.

I mix it in a personal size blender and sip it on the road to work.[Followed by coffee, of course!]
    You can tailor it to your caloric needs ... adding protein powder, etc. Mine usually comes in under 300 calories and I forget about food until lunch time. It's a beautiful thing! :)

When I do want food, scrambled egg whites - with your favorite veggies or salsa, deviled eggs [modified to lower fat] or fill boiled egg whites with hommus.

Rolled up slices of turkey ... rolled around slived red peppers, etc.
    There's also a variety of non meat breakfast sausages, etc. which pair nicely with scrambled egg whites.

But the shake is my fav! :)

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites. I experiment with high-protein meals every day, so I'm always trying new recipes:

Devil's food cake -- 1 cup plain 0% greek yogurt, mix with some Truvia and vanilla extract to taste, serve with a VitaTop muffin of flavor of your choice (although I highly recommend the velvety chocolate kind) serve by dolloping one spoonful of yogurt on the muffintop and the leftover yogurt on the side with some cinnamon, a warm banana and some granola on top. Total: 220 calories, 25g protein.

Greek yogurt parfait -- use plain greek yogurt, mix again with sweetener and vanilla extract and layer with fresh fruits like pineapple, strawberry, blueberry etc. Add some granola on the top for a great crunch. Total: usually about 250 cals, 25g protein.

Chocolate, banana and peanut butter greek yogurt protein parfait -- use plain greek yogurt, mix with chocolate protein powder and sweetener. Put one layer of granola and warm banana down, then yogurt, and repeat. On the top of the entire parfait, put a tablespoon of your favorite peanut butter. The cals and macronutrients depend on what yogurt and powder you use, but mine is usually 380 cals, 40g protein.

Banana protein pancakes -- mash about 2/3 of a banana in a bowl, combine with about 3 TBSP of egg whites, add vanilla extract and cinnamon and about 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder. Cook on a skillet like normal pancakes. (note: using whey will make the pancakes very spongy but still delicious. I have found pea protein to work the best.)

Greek yogurt protein pancakes -- mix 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt, 1 egg white, 1 tsp baking soda and cinnamon and sweetener to taste. Cook on a skillet and enjoy with some sugar free syrup. Total: 280 cals, 23g protein.

Egg white hash wrap -- cook about 1/3 of a potato in the microwave, cut it into small bits, put it in a skillet with some olive oil and cracked pepper. Scramble some egg whites in another skillet along with some peppers, then add them to the skillet with the potato mix. Add a slice of cooked turkey/veggie bacon to the skillet, melt some cheese on top, then use either a low carb tortilla (using those will increase protein total) or 2 light corn tortillas. Total: usually about 330 cals, 30g protein depending on how eggy you like your wraps.

Egg white omelet -- easy easy, just take some egg whites and mix with fresh veggies like spinach, peppers or mushrooms; or some ham, turkey bacon, shredded cheese, etc. Cook it like an omelet and add a Laughing Cow cheese to the inside before you flip it into a half. Serve with some wheat toast and fruit. Total: usually about 300 cals, 20g protein.

Egg white sammy -- toast a whole wheat english muffin, add some cooked egg whites with a slice of Laughing Cow cheese spread onto both sides. Add some turkey sausage, lean ham or turkey bacon for more of a smokey flavor if you can afford the sodium and fat. Total without meat: 180 cals, 17g protein.

Proats -- get some oatmeal cooked (make sure it's a tiny bit watery), after it's cooked add about 1/2 scoop of protein powder and mix to make "proatmeal." (note: make sure you have great tasting protein powder. Gold Standard has delicious ones, and some brands even make cinnamon bun flavored ones now too). Add sweeteners to taste. For deliciousness and indulgence: add a crushed-up peanut butter protein bar and warm bananas to make it more of a dessert. Proats only: about 180 cals, 20g protein. With the bar: 360 cals, 39g protein.

I find that egg whites and greek yogurt go a really long way for breakfast. Van's Foods makes some power grains waffles now that have a decent amount of protein (10g) per two waffles, and they're great with a scoop of vanilla greek yogurt and cinnamon if you're looking for a fast protein fix for those days where you really don't feel like making breakfast!

Hope some of these helped :happy: Looking forward to getting new recipe inspirations from everyone else here!

Those are some great sounding recipes! Thanks for sharing. I don't eat soy and was thinking of going toward the pea protein for protein shakes [with greek yogurt and fresh fruit], what is the consistency of the pea protein compared to whey? And the taste? Is it just as-or perhaps more easily- digested than whey?

Thank you!
  • bern929
    bern929 Posts: 12
    Options
    Great idea!
  • bern929
    Options
    Is almond milk lactose free?
  • bern929
    Options
    You can scramble up some eggs with veggies of your choice and make like a batch and have some for a few days. You can put them in a container and heat up in MW, also crustless quche with veggies.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Is almond milk lactose free?

yes
  • Lattegurl
    Lattegurl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.