When do you call yourself a runner?

Options
124»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly when I moved from seeing myself as someone who runs to being 'a runner'. Even now, I tend to describe myself with the discreditor of 'very slow' when I apply the term runner to myself. And I always feel faintly embarrassed describing myself as such.

I guess it was around the point when I started running a 5k distance without breaks.
  • jon40084
    jon40084 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When the weather no longer stops you going out got a run.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    oh another trigger was when I realized that I was getting cranky and irritable because I HADN'T gone running... when it seemed to become a NEED rather than an I have to...

This. Or when I'd delay plans or cancel dates because I *really* needed to get a run in because I was stressed and drinks/dinner wasn't going to help. Also, the first time I was complaining to a friend on the phone about my day and she said, "Have you run today? Go run. I like you better after you run." I went for my run, came back and had a totally different attitude about my day.

Then I blew out my knees and now I'm trying to start running, again.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I called myself a runner after my first race.

I know I'm a runner when I can't go more than three days without running without getting stabby.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. My partner hands me my trainers when I'm in a bad mood, now. I think that's a sign too.... :-)
  • stacieathompson
    Options
    If you are doing it and enjoying it, you can officially call yourself a runner...as long as you commit to continuing. Find a 5K race and set a goal. Decide what pace you want to run at in competition and train at that pace. If you are running to lose weight you have to run with high intensity. I have run competitively for 25 years and "have never lost weight running marathons," in fact my legs/hips get even thicker. You need to bring your VO2 max up as high as you can and keep it there as long as you can. Weight loss isn't affected by how long you run... it is how intensely you can run for as long as you can keep it up. If you decide you want to race at a 7:30 pace, you should train at that speed, if not a bit faster and go as long as you can. The first 5 minutes you may feel like you are dying but once you cross over your anaerobic threshhold, you should try continuing at that pace as long as you can without stopping. You may only be able to do 10 min. to start and then try adding on minutes/milage from there. You will get more benefit out of a 20 min. intense run than out of a 60 min. easy jog and it won't take up as much of your time. Good luck and keep on running!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    For me ... when it was zero degrees outside (Fahrenheit) and I was lacing up ... I knew :)

BUT ... I was before that ... and so are you :)

Ran a race on New Years... -40 degrees with a strong windchill. Thank god it was only a 5K and they had Starbucks and Cinnebonne at the end.

It was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit when I did the Yulefest 5k here in Boston. Then he had beer at the end. It was good beer, but I think that was the only time I have ever though "Coffee would have been so much better than beer." The race coordinator is promising a tent and hot beverages this year... And beer.

You did notice the minus sign in front of the 40 didn't you? LOL. Mmmmm.... Beer! :drinker:
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    When I was running a 5k distance on a consistent basis, I considered myself a runner.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I would say when I got to the 6 mile mark without stopping. That's when I knew I could do any length of run if I set my mind to it. I had done a few 5ks by that point. I have some friends that like to run 5ks on the weekend, when I passed one up for a 6 mile run, it clicked. I am a runner :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    While I've been at it for a little over a year, I began to "feel" like a "real" runner when I completed my first 5k after training. (I had participated in a couple other 5ks, but couldn't actually run too far.) When I talk about running, I usually refer to myself as a novice or a "weekend warrior"!! But, I run 3-4 days now and I'm training for my 2 half marathon. When it becomes a part of who you are. . . you ARE a runner. . .no matter the distance, speed, or grace (or lack thereof in my case)!!
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Do you run with out being chased by grizzly bears, zombies, cops or rabid dogs?

If you run for the sake of enjoyment or fitness, you are a runner.

Welcome to the club!

For fitness, yes. I cannot say I am exactly enjoying it yet! Every time I am out there, mentally I am cursing myself out for deciding to take up running. Lol.... Then I hear the endomondo lady tell me my pace at my first mile, and it brings me joy that I am beating my last time. Then I get home and definitely experience that runner's high. Its the same with golf for me.

So at what point do you start completely enjoying it?

I noticed a huge change when i started running longer, I was getting runners high and now I crave it most days. To go for a run and kicking myself to go, and then when I finish and feel like I'm on a cloud for doing it.
  • WhitneyOrtiz
    Options
    You call yourself a runner THE DAY you start running/jogging. It doesnt matter! did you run today? okay, you are a runner. Everyone starts somewhere and it doesnt matter how long you have been running...if you run, then you are a runner period! :)
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I am a runner!

Proud of it, too :drinker:

When I first started running, my husband would say, "Are you going out for a jog?". I would give him a dirty look and say, "No, I'm going to for a run." :smile: The day I started was the day I called myself a runner...you are too.

But the day I realized I was HOOKED, was the day I realized that I was reading everything I could about running...thinking about it....figuring out how to improve and grow and run some more.

Maybe it's the love for running that makes you a life time runner :flowerforyou:
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~John Bingham

I know someone already said it but I just needed to emphasize it. Whenever I get down on myself or feel like i'm not fast enough or going far enough I remind myself of this quote. :smile:

This is one of my favorite quotes and I use it for the same reason. It's only really been recently, that I've identified myself as a "real" runner but I started running February 2011. I think I was in denial for a long time because my thick thighs don't make me look like a typical long distance runner and I tend to stay around the 10-10:30 minute per mile pace, so I'm not fast but I can go for a LONG time. But I think if you don't stop consistently running, then you're a runner! I wish it hadn't taken me so long to come around to that realization.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    For me ... when it was zero degrees outside (Fahrenheit) and I was lacing up ... I knew :)

BUT ... I was before that ... and so are you :)

Ran a race on New Years... -40 degrees with a strong windchill. Thank god it was only a 5K and they had Starbucks and Cinnebonne at the end.

Dude... where do I sign up??
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Love all the answers and positivity amongst everyone!! Thank you!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 6+ years, but for whatever reason, it wasn't until this year that I actually called myself a runner.
    Before I was someone who ran, now I am a runner. Not sure when the change over occurred, but I am glad that it did.
  • rrrainiii
    rrrainiii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a [slow-ish] runner! :)

It's more of a jog, but I can go for a few miles without stopping....and it's a hell of a lot more than I was doing a year ago. When I started, I couldn't jog 30 seconds. Now, it's over 30 minutes. I get excited just thinking about the improvement! Therefore, I am a runner. Even if I'm the only one who thinks so! ;)
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask that... I just referred to myself as a runner "out loud" for the first time just this week. I completed C25K on January 1st. I've been running consistently since then, and I did 3 5Ks this summer. When I added up my July mileage and saw that I ran over 80 miles, I said, "OK, I'm a runner now. This is my thing." Previously, I was a little apprehensive about calling myself a runner because you surely don't look at my body and think, "Oh, she must be a runner." So, it was a bit of an NSV to see that my perception of myself has changed.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask that... I just referred to myself as a runner "out loud" for the first time just this week. I completed C25K on January 1st. I've been running consistently since then, and I did 3 5Ks this summer. When I added up my July mileage and saw that I ran over 80 miles, I said, "OK, I'm a runner now. This is my thing." Previously, I was a little apprehensive about calling myself a runner because you surely don't look at my body and think, "Oh, she must be a runner." So, it was a bit of an NSV to see that my perception of myself has changed.

80 miles in a month is fantastic!! Congratulations. I am aiming for 50 miles traveled this month!