ketosis..whose with us??

Options
1235»

Replies

• Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Why don't you check out the South Beach Diet.... it starts low carbs but after the first two weeks you add them back in. But it encourages lots of veggies and lean proteins. Your diet sounds very similar. I enjoyed reading the book because it explains a lot about how our bodies process food etc. Just an informative read. Also the food shopping list are great...... I would just take that list with me to the store.

Okay, I will check this out. I havent heard or read much about it!
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I haven been in ketosis for almost 7 weeks as it is the core fat burning mode for my doctor supervised VLC liquid diet program (Optifast). While I started to get energy back after about 4 days, I wasn't fully Ketone adapted until about 2 weeks in. That is when you REALLY feel amazing! <3

I may need to cut my fruits out from what everyone is saying.. :(
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    These are the kinds of posts and forums that I love! Not too much yelling and getting angry and ALOT of info floating around! ALOT of people talking to each other and learning from each other!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So basically Ketosis is just a low carb diet? I'm still kinda confused but it sounds interesting. Can someone explain it a little more for me please? =)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My biochemistry professor is on a ketotic diet. He's been on it for years and isn't planning on stopping. He knows how the body processes nutrients like the back of his hand, so I trust that he knows what he's doing.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thats what I dont want to do, I dont want to gain back! Its too hard to lose, dont want to reverse that!

The key is to transition slowly. I start on may 7th, steadily lose about 1.5 lbs/week. Did it for 8 weeks, at the end i was tired of the ketostix and getting kicked out over the skighlest thing so i was just doing low carbs no dairy w/o stressing too much about it. Then I reintroduced dairy and now i am starting to reintroduce grains very slowly and only on ocassion. Its been 5 weeks out of the keto stage and i am still losing about 1lb/week.

It has been very difficult for me to lose weight in the past even af a significant cal deficit. So maybe keto oici started things for me. I loved it!!!!!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Please be careful because it's not good for your body in the long run!! Ketosis is super hard on your organs especially your kidney and liver!

Please read this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/285086-what-are-the-dangers-of-ketosis-diets/

Livestrong.com is not a reliable source of information. They have some good articles but there's a great deal of misinformation on there as well.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Thats what I dont want to do, I dont want to gain back! Its too hard to lose, dont want to reverse that!

The key is to transition slowly. I start on may 7th, steadily lose about 1.5 lbs/week. Did it for 8 weeks, at the end i was tired of the ketostix and getting kicked out over the skighlest thing so i was just doing low carbs no dairy w/o stressing too much about it. Then I reintroduced dairy and now i am starting to reintroduce grains very slowly and only on ocassion. Its been 5 weeks out of the keto stage and i am still losing about 1lb/week.

It has been very difficult for me to lose weight in the past even af a significant cal deficit. So maybe keto oici started things for me. I loved it!!!!!!!

I know dairy helps me gain weight so I am going to stay away from it :)
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ketosis. I'm in the process of going from induction(8 weeks) to owl....from 20 to 25 carbs. It's incredibly hard to discuss how low carb/Atkins works without giving a LOT of information. I'm 42, and have tried many many times to lose weight, and failed and regained a lot. Atkins actually HELPS me be successful, by breaking my carb/sugar addiction. I dont crave carbs/food anymore, and I can EASILY resist temptations...both of which destroyed any previous efforts I made at weight loss. I do understand that this is going to be a permanant lifestyle change for me. I dont cheat...to cheat, is to leave fat burning, and to go through the cravings and 'flu' kinda symptoms that a lot of people experience in the first couple of weeks while your body adjusts to getting it's energy from fat. I've lost 25 pounds in 7 weeks. This is the only thing I'm able to be successful with.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    So basically Ketosis is just a low carb diet? I'm still kinda confused but it sounds interesting. Can someone explain it a little more for me please? =)

if your carb consumption gets low enough, you enter ketosis.
    for most people it is 20 grams a day. others are 10.. even up to 50. its a YMMV type of thing.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I'm in Ketosis. I'm in the process of going from induction(8 weeks) to owl....from 20 to 25 carbs. It's incredibly hard to discuss how low carb/Atkins works without giving a LOT of information. I'm 42, and have tried many many times to lose weight, and failed and regained a lot. Atkins actually HELPS me be successful, by breaking my carb/sugar addiction. I dont crave carbs/food anymore, and I can EASILY resist temptations...both of which destroyed any previous efforts I made at weight loss. I do understand that this is going to be a permanant lifestyle change for me. I dont cheat...to cheat, is to leave fat burning, and to go through the cravings and 'flu' kinda symptoms that a lot of people experience in the first couple of weeks while your body adjusts to getting it's energy from fat. I've lost 25 pounds in 7 weeks. This is the only thing I'm able to be successful with.

I am happy to hear of success! Have you incorporated work working out into your eating healthy or what have you been able to do in addition to eating properly? I love to hear this!
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I just can't do it, giving up fruits and veggies doesn't work for me. Before I started exercising daily I did eat pretty much nothing but chicken and cheese for a month. The 10ish lbs I'd gained fell right off me, but man did I have trouble going #2.

For me I just don't feel like I have enough energy to work out 2x a day (which, weirdly, I have discovered I quite enjoy) without things like yogurt and veggies, and they always add up to too many carbs for ketosis.

Anybody work out a lot and stay in ketosis? What do you eat?
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I just can't do it, giving up fruits and veggies doesn't work for me. Before I started exercising daily I did eat pretty much nothing but chicken and cheese for a month. The 10ish lbs I'd gained fell right off me, but man did I have trouble going #2.

For me I just don't feel like I have enough energy to work out 2x a day (which, weirdly, I have discovered I quite enjoy) without things like yogurt and veggies, and they always add up to too many carbs for ketosis.

Who gave up veggies?
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm still fairly new here and am still trying to learn all the acronyms, what does YMMV stand for? =)

for most people it is 20 grams a day. others are 10.. even up to 50. its a YMMV type of thing.
  • caraiselite
    Options
    I'm still fairly new here and am still trying to learn all the acronyms, what does YMMV stand for? =)

your mileage may vary.

everyone is different, that's why low carb is great for some people.. and cal counting does nothing.
  • caraiselite
    Options

i eat yogurt and vegetables in addition to copious amounts of fats. you were doing it incorrectly.
  • lenatuck
    lenatuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started this yesterday! I went to a nutritionist and she recommended it, so far, so good! I feel pretty great :)
    I hope everyones doing well!

Feel free to add me if you wish :)
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started this yesterday! I went to a nutritionist and she recommended it, so far, so good! I feel pretty great :)
    I hope everyones doing well!

Feel free to add me if you wish :)
    I think its so great a nutritionist told you about it. It took a lot of convincing for me to do it because it seems like all you hear is negative stuff about it. Best thing EVER for me!
  • CTLow
    CTLow Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I went from 240 pounds to 187 in 12 weeks through ketosis.

The thing about Ketosis is that while i am only consuming 900 calories a day worth of protein and veggies, my body (being in a state of ketosis) is eating 2000 calories a day of it's own fat stores. So my body is effectively getting 2900 calories a day to live on.

I lose more weight sleeping at night than I used to on an ellytical trainer for an hour.

From Dr Peter Attia's EatingAcademy.com

Ketosis (or keto-adaptation) – Ketosis is a state, achieved through significant reduction of carbohydrate intake (typically to less than 50 grams per day), at which point the body makes a fundamental change from relying on glycogen as its main source of energy to relying on fat as the primary source of energy. In particular, the brain shifts from being entirely dependent on glucose, to being primarily dependent on beta-hydroxybutyrate – a so-called “ketone body.” Ketone bodies are chemical structures made by the liver (also somewhat in the kidney) out of fatty acids, primarily.

. Our brain can only function with glucose and ketones. Since we can’t store more than about 24 hours worth of glucose, we would all die of hypoglycemia if ever forced to fast for more than 24 hours. Fortunately, our liver can take fat and select amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and turn them into ketones, first and foremost to feed our brains. Hence, our body’s ability to produce ketones is required for basic survival.

Keto-adaption is a state, achieved through significant reduction of carbohydrate intake (typically to less than 50 grams per day), where the body changes from relying on glycogen as its main source of energy to relying on fat. Specifically, the brain shifts from being primarily dependent on glucose, to being primarily dependent on beta-hydroxybutyrate. This has nothing to do with what a diabetic patient is experiencing in DKA, but does illustrate how poorly informed and quick to react the medical community is. DKA and nutritional ketosis (or keto-adaptation) have as much in common as a house fire and a fireplace.