Packing Lunches for Work

Options

Replies

• jenni177
    jenni177 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the exact same lunch box! I have a cover for it too which fits really nicely and has a handle on it. For those in Australia you can get them from Woolworths during back to school time they had a ton of them, I think big W also has them all year round.
    Tomorrow I'm having cheese and crackers (in the orange and green containers), a musli bar and yougurt. I'm having a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, and rice cakes for afternoon tea (these fit nicely in the centre section with the divider in between). I will also be having some fruit, but that is the disapointing thing about this lunch box is it doesn't fit apples or bannas in them unless they are cut up. Some other things that are good:
    Nuts
    Rice crackers (fit perfectly in the orange and green containers)
    Rice paper rolls
    Wraps (cut in half, fit in the sandwich compartment)
    Dried fruit
    Manderines
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make sushi for dinner and I pack a few for my son's lunch box for the next day. They are great as they are all fresh ingredients and not to mention delicious. And once you know how to make them there is an endless amount of ideas on what do put in them.
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    Lean proteins with veggies!!
    Almond butter with baby carrots, celery, or apple slices.
    Humus with cucumber chips/rounds.
    Curried chicken lettuce wraps.
    Tuna salad and raw veggies.
    Smoked chicken and apple sausage slices and raw red bell pepper chunks.:flowerforyou: :glasses:
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    How could I forget... deviled eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I like plain Greek yogurt that I can mix things into -- blueberries, strawberries, cherries, etc. Sometimes I mix some Kashi go lean crunch or crumble into it. My favorite thing to do is to mix almond butter in with the yogurt and use it as a dip for apple slices. Home made larabars are easy to make and yummy. There are a lot of recipes out there if you google it.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    trying to figure out how to add this to my topics... :bigsmile:
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    I found this thread here a few weeks ago with 35 lunch ideas so just sharing the link in case it helps too (if it works lol)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/658405-35-quick-low-calorie-lunches
  • sweetjen8302
    sweetjen8302 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    yummy! Im getting some great ideas, I hate having to figure out what to do for lunch. I do have to say that I found a great recipe on Pinterest that Ive been eating, its low carb, low cal, and low fat! I usually cook a few days worth at a time and freeze it in portions, much better than the sodium and carb filled frozen meals. I dont know what the exact recipe was, but Ill give you my version which is actually a shorter cooking time and omits the oil that the original recipe called for

Enchilada Chicken
    1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
    taco seasoning (the one that you usually put in the taco meat)
    1 can of enchilada sauce
    1/4 cup of cheddar cheese
    fresh green onions

-Dice the chicken breast and coat with taco seasoning, just use 2 tbl spoons or so, save the rest for later
    -Cook the chicken in a skillet until its almost cooked through (this is where you were supposed to use oil, but I throw a little water in the oan and it does just fine)
    -Once the cheicken is almost cooked, put in a baking dish and cover with a 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce, and 1/4 cup of cheese
    -Bake at 350 until bubbly, about 10 min
    -top with green onions and enjoy!

I usually eat it with a tsp of light sour cream and some cucumbers
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Salad: black beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, lime juice & olive oil.
    French Potato Salad: steamed red potatoes, steamed green beans, red onion, diced ham, Italian dressing.
    Bulgur Wheat + protien + steamed vegetables
    Fried rice (heavy on the vegetables, light on the rice)
  • jopipa1
    jopipa1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like whole weat tortilla wraps! they're usually better than bread :D
    I like to pan fry a bit of turkey, spinach, tomatoes, paprika...sometimes I do scrambled eggs inside instead and I usually add some fresh veggies like cucumbers or lettuce to either one :) pretty quick. If you don't feel like frying, put the tortilla in a microwave and just add turkey ham and raw veggies.
    Blueberries are a good snack, low calories, same with any yummy berries really...if you can afford the extra calories add a few spoons of yogurt. Cinnamon is really good with this too and will keep your sugar in check :)
    Nuts and dark chocolate are a good option if you have a sweet tooth aswell
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Black Bean Salad: black beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, lime juice & olive oil.
    French Potato Salad: steamed red potatoes, steamed green beans, red onion, diced ham, Italian dressing.
    Bulgur Wheat + protien + steamed vegetables
    Fried rice (heavy on the vegetables, light on the rice)

Those all sound sooo yummy!!!
  • pleavitt2012
    Options
    Sushi, fresh veges and something with some crunch!
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thinlizzy525
    Options
    There are soooooooooooo many great ideas posted here! I am definately going to use many of them. Thank for the ideas....oh, i am so hungry now lol
  • LauraGreat
    LauraGreat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump! for later
  • elanaknt
    elanaknt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas!!! YES! I haven't tried hummus but it sounds like I should give that one a try with some veggies.

When you guys do yogurt that isn't the little individual kind, what kind do you use? I was thinking of mixing in my own granola or fruits or something... I'm just not sure it is worth it. May just as well use the premixed individual cups?? What do you think?

I only eat plain, nonfat Greek yogurt and what I usually do is place some berries in a bowl and top with yogurt, sometimes I add honey. It will separate a bit by the time I eat it, so I just mix it all back together, kind of mashing up the fruit, and it tastes yummy. Sometimes I also pack a baggie with a bit of sliced almonds to sprinkle on top.

As far as other lunch ideas go, I am pretty boring. I eat lots of sandwiches and cut veggies, salads with chicken, and leftovers (homemade soups, stir fries with rice, noodle bowls). I also re-purpose leftovers into wraps or tacos...just pack a few tortillas and things like cooked meat, beans, veggies and a bit of cheese and heat it all up and assemble. Lots of whole fruit too (I work long days and commute 1.5 hours each way, so I almost always need to pack morning and afternoon snacks, in addition to lunch).
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You could probably fit a beer in the large compartment, a bunch of hershey's kisses in one, and some apple slices in the last one.

From one teacher to another, I know what teachers need. LOL
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm really a fan of leftovers. If I make baked chicken, then I save some for lunch the next day. You can redo it anyway you want-in a sandwich or wrap, salad, whatever.

Then couple it with a few veggies, fruits, and throw some healthy dips or greek yogurt in the little containers.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as much raw fruits and veggies as possible. Cucumbers, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. Many choices.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I always grill on the weekends and make enough to bring for lunches during the week. I just cut the meat up and freeze in indiviual portion sizes. Cut up veggies (mostly carrots, celery, peppers, jicama, and green onions) fresh berries and melon. Sometimes the small cans of tuna. Rice crackers and light laughing cow cheese wedges.
    This week I have a black bean and quinoa salad that I will probably be eating all week (it made a lot).
    Raw walnuts, filberts and almonds.
    Pistachios.
    Popcorn made in a hot air popper.
    We have salads M-T for supper, so I never eat lettuce salads for lunch, but that might work for you.
    I make sun tea (chia and green citrus) and usually bring some in a thermos. I use fresh mint in it.