Olympics - Womans Super Heavy weight lifting

Options
13»

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I consider her an athlete a lot more than those sitting on horses.

( Now I am about to get hate mail from those who love horses)

She lift a shot load of weight and it does not happen without a lot of training.

LOL... no hate mail, but you clearly have no idea how much general fitness and core strength it takes to ride a horse in the events showcased in the Olympics. I would bet 95% of people wouldn't make it over the first fence of a cross country fence without being launched. You don't think riding like that takes 'a lot of training'? :laugh:
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    "Holley's personal record in the combined snatch and clean-and-jerk is 255 kilos (562.2 pounds)"

In a word WOW!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    What you snipped out was a reply from a man who did not think that she had a natural aptitude for physical endeavors, presumably because he found her to be "unhealthy"

My response is because this is yet another example of people feeling absolutely free to comment on women's bodies despite the considerable achievements that could fill up more than enough discussion time/space without making denigrating (or complimentary for that matter) comments about their bodies.

I will grant you that this thread, in two pages has not degenerated as far as MFP is legendarily known to do into "ewww gross" but there is certainly a tone to it already, and we are only two pages into it.

I invite you to do a search for "women with muscles" to find the kinds of male-privilege posts I'm talking about. Women repeatedly post pictures of other women with muscles as a means of sharing motivational pictures, and repeatedly, men come in and grace us with the information that they would not deign to tap that.

I recognize the OP has repeatedly tried to clarify that he really meant to ask more generically whether you would let yourself get that big and has also disabused any notion of sexism as he "could have" put up a picture of a man. Yet he didn't. It is our expectation that women Olympians look like gymnasts, perhaps that made a super heavy weight lifter stick out. One that was a woman. NOT one that was a man. It is the picture of a female that he put up to invite a discussion about whether one would let oneself get "that big".

Honestly, I'm tired of it. It is very demeaning and damaging and it is something that men are not subjected to.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    Anyone who can throw me across the room is an athlete in my book would I do it no
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Yes, she's an athlete just like all women at 75+ kg range. Take Zhou Lulu, she's 5'9 and 290 lb. She lifted something like 412 lb at clean&jerk. Most Olympic lifters are either tiny so it's easy for them to ripped or really big and a woman at her height needs those extra pounds. I'm 5'11. There is no way I can ever get to that body strength without breaking my freaking back.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    Why wouldn't she be considered an athlete......Only in America!!!!!! Ya'll are funny!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    What you snipped out was a reply from a man who did not think that she had a natural aptitude for physical endeavors, presumably because he found her to be "unhealthy"

My response is because this is yet another example of people feeling absolutely free to comment on women's bodies despite the considerable achievements that could fill up more than enough discussion time/space without making denigrating (or complimentary for that matter) comments about their bodies.

I will grant you that this thread, in two pages has not degenerated as far as MFP is legendarily known to do into "ewww gross" but there is certainly a tone to it already, and we are only two pages into it.

I invite you to do a search for "women with muscles" to find the kinds of male-privilege posts I'm talking about. Women repeatedly post pictures of other women with muscles as a means of sharing motivational pictures, and repeatedly, men come in and grace us with the information that they would not deign to tap that.

I recognize the OP has repeatedly tried to clarify that he really meant to ask more generically whether you would let yourself get that big and has also disabused any notion of sexism as he "could have" put up a picture of a man. Yet he didn't. It is our expectation that women Olympians look like gymnasts, perhaps that made a super heavy weight lifter stick out. One that was a woman. NOT one that was a man. It is the picture of a female that he put up to invite a discussion about whether one would let oneself get "that big".

Honestly, I'm tired of it. It is very demeaning and damaging and it is something that men are not subjected to.

The man who doubted this athletes prowess for physicality was offering an opinion based on his preconceptions about fitness, not his preconceptions about gender.

I get where you are coming from, really I do, I am the first to yell BS when I see any sort of sexist crud being dished out.

BUT..... as a feminist, I refuse to see offense where none exists and I really do not think it exists on this thread.
    Yes it exists on multiple other threads but by bringing mention of those in here, the (mostly positive) tone of the thread is changed because of the reaction to something that went on elsewhere.

And men are subjected to it too. Look at the thread MEN that was posted on MPF this evening.
    (and yes, I know, should not start sentences with an 'and' :)
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It is. Food is extremely anabolic. Studies have shown sumo wrestlers have more LBM than top level professional bodybuilders. If she dieted down to reasonable bodyfat levels, she would lose significant strength and lean mass.

That is why lean record holding powerlifters are so rare and impressive.

And she is an athlete. If you have ever tried to perform an olympic lift, you'd realize how much coordination and athletic ability is required.

^ Absolutely correct.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    It is. Food is extremely anabolic. Studies have shown sumo wrestlers have more LBM than top level professional bodybuilders. If she dieted down to reasonable bodyfat levels, she would lose significant strength and lean mass.

That is why lean record holding powerlifters are so rare and impressive.

And she is an athlete. If you have ever tried to perform an olympic lift, you'd realize how much coordination and athletic ability is required.

^ Absolutely correct.

True as that maybe, I wonder what the life expectancy for these athletes is. Certainly if they bulk up for competition and than they slim back down then there is no issue, but watching the 350lb female lifter I could not help but wonder what happens once she stops competing. I suppose on further thought though this is true for any large athlete whether he or she be a power lifter or football player. What I do know is she can lift way more weight than I can under the pressure of millions of viewers in a one piece spandex suit. She pretty mocks kicks *kitten*!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Re: health --> life expectancy

I pulled this off of a NYT article on the bodies of Olympians. You can find it here: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9805E2D61738F930A3575BC0A96E9C8B63

CHERYL HAWORTH

WEIGHT LIFTING, 75+KG CLASS

Resting Heart Rate: 75 beats per minute

WAIST: 50 THIGHS: 32 BICEPS: 17

BENCH PRESS: 160 lbs. Squat: 495 lbs.

VERTICAL LEAP: 30 BODY FAT: 28-30 percent

DAILY CALORIE CONSUMPTION: 3,000-4,000

FLEXIBILITY: Can do splits both ways

''I started training when I was 13, so almost everything about my body is completely different now. I'm taller and a lot heavier than I was. When I say that my thighs are 32 inches, they're really hard all the way around, and my butt is huge from squatting all the time.''

A male "super heavy weight" that may be equivalent to Cheryl up there is Christian Cantwell (MIZ!) who is big but also healthy by most measures. BMI is for suckers.

CHRISTIAN CANTWELL

Shot-put

WAIST: 38 THIGHS: 29 BICEPS: 20

BENCH PRESS: 635 lbs. SQUAT: 650 lbs.

VERTICAL LEAP: 32 BODY FAT: 15 percent

DAILY CALORIE CONSUMPTION: 5,000
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    Not thinking the picture of Holley is particularly flattering. how about this one:

tumblr_m852c2pd5w1r26w2ro4_1280.jpg

Or of her lifting. Looking more "athletic":
    nyc_120805_holley_mangold_finishes_10th_place.jpg&w=384&h=216

But if we're gonna talk about body image and athleticism, how about we open this guy up for criticism. Does he look like an athlete?
    11394117-large.jpg
    Let's have a big discussion of his level of health based on his appearance.

Oh wait:
    nick-mangoldjpg-5eaa964c69607ae3.jpg
    And I don't think he likes people being mean to his sister.

Honestly, I went searching for pictures of her and could not find one as unattractive as was put in the original picture. Given the issues with women being in the limelight essentially meaning they've given tacit permission to have their bodies criticized, I wish she'd been given at least half a fighting chance by having a picture where she had her most attractive or her most athletic self presented.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think she is absolutely an athlete. As others have said, I don't know how appearance/body type is at all related to athleticism.

Also, in order to lose weight, she would have to stop gaining muscle, perhaps even lose some. So she may be unwilling to sacrifice performance for the weight loss? I don't know, but I could kind of see how if you are that good you don't want to risk losing that. That said, I would be unwilling to put on 200 lb to be an Olympic athlete. Just last night, a guy put his hand on my waist when he was talking to me in a bar and I didn't feel self conscious or wonder if I had a muffin top or anything. It was great! I couldn't give that up :)
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    From a link sent to me by an awesome male MFPeep of mine:

In a society that teaches girls to judge their worth on looks rather than abilities, it's no wonder that by age 14, girls are dropping out of sports at twice the rate of boys. When they walk away from sport, they walk away from their potential. To help keep them sports, please donate to the Women’s Sports Foundation to keep her in
    the game. Visit KeepHerInTheGame.org to learn more and to donate and support the Women's Sports Foundation to get more girls active.

For real, this kind of stuff is harmful. Please stop. Better yet, call it out when you see it. Even if there are lovely people who belittle what you have to say.

Here's the link to the awesome video that went with the words above:

P.S. I'm told by one of my MFP friends that the mother of one of the American women's weightlifting teammates is on MFP. How would you feel if you read a thread like this about YOUR daughter or her teammate?
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    From a link sent to me by an awesome male MFPeep of mine:

In a society that teaches girls to judge their worth on looks rather than abilities, it's no wonder that by age 14, girls are dropping out of sports at twice the rate of boys. When they walk away from sport, they walk away from their potential. To help keep them sports, please donate to the Women’s Sports Foundation to keep her in
    the game. Visit KeepHerInTheGame.org to learn more and to donate and support the Women's Sports Foundation to get more girls active.

For real, this kind of stuff is harmful. Please stop. Better yet, call it out when you see it. Even if there are lovely people who belittle what you have to say.

Here's the link to the awesome video that went with the words above:

P.S. I'm told by one of my MFP friends that the mother of one of the American women's weightlifting teammates is on MFP. How would you feel if you read a thread like this about YOUR daughter or her teammate?

The subject of this thread is an absolutely fair topic. Obesity in America is an overwhelming problem that I and millions of others are facing daily. While power lifters must be in relatively good shape to compete, I think it is very important and can be overstated that obesity even in the presence of extreme strength can kill. I am NOT saying the Olympic power lifters are in poor health or that they will even die prematurely but I do think they should stress how their physiques are uniquely suited for their sports and should not be openly embraced by the average person.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    Then start a thread on obesity without singling out ONE particular athlete with a particularly unflattering picture and bring judgment in based on her appearance. That stopped it from being a thread about obesity (which I don't think was the OP's intent) but about singling a particular person out for ridicule as a fat person on a website full of people attempting to lose weight.

I think the OP was attempting to discuss what is sacrificed by these athletes for their sports. Many of us with our own fitness goals would not be able to get past our body image issues in order to build the strength she has. I couldn't wake up as early as most of these folks do to work out for hours and then go about my day. I couldn't send my child across the country to the amazing coach in her or his sport and see my child only on vacations. But that isn't where this thread went.

And again, if we're talking about health, why aren't we talking about her brother the football player. Or the osteoporosis risks that gymnasts and figure skaters endure trying to be so small at a time they should be building bones. Or the head injuries in the NFL and other sports. Or the punishment that diver's spines take. Or the risks of anorexia in many of the traditional women's sports, wrestling, and among jockeys.

Nope that's not what this thread was doing.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Im really done explaining myself, the only reason I posted the pic of a woman, is because thats what I was watching when I decided to make the topic. As far as why I used that pic, well thats the imagw they werw using during her intro amd back story, and thats what got me thinking the question, would u let yourswlf get to the point to compete in the Olympics. Im sry u cant see that, and im sry u cant unserstand this wasnt a bashing thread. If u take the time to read this rhread, no one has taken shots at hwr, and no one has come insaying gross. Everyone was having a normal talk, until u came in with all your hate, believe me I hate all the bashing on these threads, and im always the first to back whatever body image someone goes for, it was just a question on how far someone would go to achieve a certain goal. But if u want to keep coming in here and being angry and posting your links, then by all means help yourself.

In just for the record I already stated I felt the samw way about nfl lineman, sure their ztrong, but in noway healthy in my book.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    sumo wrestlers tend to weigh over 350lbs, but some can run and do full splits and are uber in shape. there are different body types. maybe she is uber healthy yet is carrying all that fat. who knows.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hey now! To the person with the horse comment...

Do you REALLY think all they do is sit on the horse? Do you really? I rider horses. I know! The answer (it doesn't matter what they are doing.) The rider is on top of the horse given the horse direction. Do you really think the horse knows what to do?

Let me tell you. Jumping and the flat work takes a lot of concentration and muscle work. More then you realize.

You have better have good hips muscles, good leg muscles', good leg muscles and everything else.

I was off the said horse for six years. (over really) and when I got back on hell, I couldn't even canter around the ring! That was embarrassing really.

Those riders have been riding horses since before they could walk!

IT'S A PARENTER SHIP!
    In some cases...lots of trust between both said horse and yes, if the rider is breathless it's because they had to work.

Riding isn't easy. Don't think you can get on a horse first day and you will be a compion rider.

It takes years to work on the skill. Years.

And yes, it is a sport.

One of my main reasons for losing wieght..

On topic, no clue about the woman. o_o If it works for her..

Now, I need to know when the horses are coming on. I said I wanted to watch! Dam life!
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It was a number of years ago, but there was a study done (I can't find it so I don't have the exact percentages) in which athletes were asked If there was something they could do to win a gold medal but they knew it would mean they would die prematurely would they do it and something like 90% said yes. Elite athletes are typically still adolescents or fairly young (and obsessed) adults, so the reality of the choice they are making isn't real to them. They feel invincible. Not being an elite athlete, I don't have that choice to make, so it seems easy to me.

But then, I'm terribly overweight and I'm not competing at the Olympics. And I've spent a lot of my life really unhappy with myself. So I don't have a quibble with Holley.
  • jetscreaminagain
    Options
    Your question was would you let yourself go to the point that you got that big if it was necessary to acheive your dreams at the Olympics. I'm not sure I have that level of dedication to train and focus purely on strength for the time necessary to get to that level of excellence.

What were you all dedicated to that got you to your MFP starting weight? I mean really. She didn't let herself go. That might be the person your four other fingers are pointing at when any of you point her out as an example of lack of health.

And if you can't see past the outside and acknowledge the excellence and amazing achievement, well...

tumblr_m0su63Vj7g1qawpudo1_500.png