What kind of dog is the best

Replies

• cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,195 Member
    If this thread is up long enough every breed available will be spoken for. I've had shepards, Boxers, Malmutes, Wolf mixes, beagles, chow mixes and now own a Siberian Husky. I've actually had time to work with this dog and have him fairly well trained. He's been a blast to have around. Good luck on what ever you decide...the best part of owning a dog is the undying love...he's happy to see you after 10 minutes or after 10 hours...

What a beautiful dog...I do like Siberian Husky ...My friend has one and she loves hers..It came from rescue. He was kinda hesitant at first..probably from being abused..but he is very loving now.
  • cindys0417
    A lab or golden retriever would be great. I have a lab-husky mix and she gets along great with other people and animals. There is a survey on animal planet's website that says which dog would be the best match for your lifestyle.

thanks..Ill try this! :)
  • cindys0417
    thanks all for your input. Ill definately post a pic of my dog when I get it! Thanks again! I love Dog Stories :)
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Cindy, I'm a professional dog trainer and have done rescue work for over 40 yrs, so I'm going to tell you that the right dog for your family is going to be the one you respond to. There's a whole lot of individual variation within any breed. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Look into the breed rescue groups for breeds you tend to like. Look at the local rescue group web sites, but don't fall in love with a photo. You want their expertise in helping to match you with the right dog.
    2. The reason I'm recommending a breed rescue group instead of the shelter or an all-breed rescue group is that you seem to want as much as a temperament guarantee as possible. Your best bet is a 2-3 yr old dog that has been living in the home of a fosterer who is an expert on what the right temperament for that dog should be - that's a breed rescue group.
    3. Be objective about what you really want to live with. I'm not big on grooming and dislike dogs that are "busy" in the house, want a dog that is always in the same room with me and can do a wide variety of sports/work, and is a little aloof with strangers. My German Shepherds are perfect for me, but I sure wouldn't recommend them for you. Daniel Tortora's book, "The Right Dog for You" is available in most libraries and has a good checklist to help you decide what you really want.
    4. I'd never live with a Labrador Retriever but believe the best deal in rescue is a 2 yr old female Labrador Retriever. They tend to be miserable puppies, but people tend to get fed up and give them up just as they are about to turn into the perfect family dog.
  • cindys0417
    263_98.jpg

Corgi if that's not the cutest thing you've ever seen you don't have a soul.

Awwww so cute!
  • cindys0417
    I love all kinds of dogs. But I have a type of dog called a pekepoo (half pekingnese half poodle) My family has had 4 over the years. They have all been child friendly, loveable, sweet cuddly and playful. They all also shared the house with other dogs, cats and numerous small animals (rabbits,mice,hamsters, gerbils etc) and reptiles (Iguana,turtles,chameleons) and got along fine.

This is my baby

580782_10150924278211650_2115985751_n.jpg

417987_10150553445336650_410944644_n.jpg

314631_10150299901856650_233679400_n.jpg

Awwww..so cute!!
  • cindys0417
    Adopt don't buy. Please don't buy. Please don't buy. Over 9 million dogs and cats were put down in 2011. Please adopt and save a life instead of buying.

Unless you are very active and can exercise the dog daily don't get any herding breeds. I have to explain to clients all the time why their dog tears up the house and that a daily walk is not enough for most of them.

Go to your local shelter or check out petfinder and look through the adoption groups.

No breeds are born aggressive. It takes time and patience and effort. It is a lifetime commitment.

I'm sure once you start looking someone will pick you out or find you. One of mine picked me at the shelter. The other was found by a friend in bad shape in a ditch. We were meant to be together.

Spay and Neuter!

**thank you..yes..I will adopt...My sister would kill me if I didn't..both of her dogs are rescues and she loves her babies :) **
  • paperhawk
    paperhawk Posts: 26 Member
  • Hello,My name is Niki and I can tell you from experience the best dog(s) I have ever owned.
    about seven years ago a friend gave me a dog,now at that time I didn't know what kinda dog it was because it had a tail
    I loved how she never,ever shed ,she was good with my kids,loyal,a small dogI soon found out that she was a Miniture snouser
    my heart was broken when a few years later after we moved she went missing.I hung signs offering rewards but my beloved dog
    was forever gone.
    After months of sadness I decided to get another Minnie ..and have had her for almost six years.She still possess all those same qualities that I loved about Trixie...She is my baby.
    But if you love big dogs we also got an American Bulldog ..They are great big yes,but never territorial.Again they love kids,very smart,We named him Tyson,He knows every dog trick and loves to play fetch,going for walks,and being with the family.we got him when he was 11 weeks old...and has only went in the house once! He is now three and gets along with my shelby(Minnie) and with my cat . Good luck and let me know how it turns out
    Sincerely
    Niki7834
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Another vote for a lab. We had one years ago, and she was a great dog. We have a shih tzu now; still a good dog, but our son's allergies were a big factor in this case.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    If you are looking for a larger dog I highly reccomend a lab. For a smaller dog, we have had great luck with our Pug. Makes a great walking companion but not so great for running.
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    A good ole' Bassett Hound... sweet, laid back breed, very loyal... Females are less likely to wander... Good luck!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Mixed breeds are best because they aren't prone to genetic health issues like pure breds are and generally have even tempered dispositions.

That being said, my boston terrier is the best ever.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    I have a pitbull and he has the best tempermant i've seen on a dog, he loves people, very friendly, will lick you to death or beat you with his tail, he never barks or growls at the other dogs in our neighborhood. people think it's a mean breed, but depends on how you raise it and also some people give their pits steroids to buff them up, and if people can suffer from roid rage, so can dogs. he does require lots and lots of attention tho, and always wants to be touching you
    This^ the best I have every had was a pit, great with my lil ones and did really well with our cats. He was extremly smart and the most loveble dog ever. Had to get rid of him because we moved and the landlord don't like pits. I miss my thor.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Shih tsu.. small, hypo allergenic, no shedding, freakin adorable, and an amazing personality. This is Rosie Posie...

rosieposie.jpg
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    I strongly recommend rescue. There are thousands of homeless dogs that need someone to love them. If you have a good rescue organization in your area, they can match you with a dog that meets your needs. You can also look on petfinder.com for rescue dogs in your area.

^ this ^

I have had nothing but rescues since moving to Texas 28 years ago ~ all different breeds. I have had a shar-pei, a miniature schnauzer, a chihuahua, 4 mixed lab/great danes & a pit bull mix. All have had great temperaments & none of them had their typical breed characteristics. I really do think rescue dogs are the best. They are grateful for a forever home & shower you with love unconditionally!!
  • The best one I've ever had was a schnoodle...I had to put him down recently as well though (14yrs old)...he was a stray...Very smart, learned tricks (etc) very quickly, and very friendly (loved everyone..sweetheart)...extremely loyal. The one I have now is believed to be a schnauzer/chow mix.. a rescue..almost put down. they said she was too aggressive..however, she has been great so far for us but was definately abused and we are working on her skittish behavior. SCHNOODLE...gets my vote...Oh yeah..plus they don't shed!!! that's a biggie for me. If you check Craig's list you may be able to find one really cheap or even free....keep us posted...curious to know what you end up with... =)
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Depends on what your lifestyle is like, what you expect from a dog, if you have kids, etc. We have a yellow lab and I love him dearly but my heart will always belong to my Great Pyrenees. Love, love the breed. As other posters have said, check out the rescue groups.
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    Boxer. You will not find another breed that is better with children and other animals. Ours is a joy, and so loving. They are also total clowns, and will have you laughing from day one. He's in my avatar, sitting still, wearing my sunglasses. He is amazing, and when he passes my wife and I are going to be inconsolable.

I have to agree. I have two pugs (which I love) and two boxers. The boxers are so great all around dogs. I take mine to work with me everyday and they do great with kids.
  • cindys0417
    my dog is best haha

No, MY dog is the best. Isn't she cute? Actually, the best dog is the one the best suit one's lifestyle and living situation. I did a ton of research on what kind of dog I wanted and would fit me before I decided. My dog does not shed, she doesn't annoy the neighbors standing at the gate barking, she adores me, does not require more exercise than casual walks around the neighborhood. She is long-lived and not prone to genetic health issues.

But really. Many dogs can be the best. . . depends on what exactly you are looking for. Take some on-line quizzes on dog breeds.

***WHAT KIND OF DOG IS SHE?