NSV - I QUIT!!

Replies

• Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Good for you! That is awesome. I lost my dad to a heart attack because smoking damaged his heart so bad. The doctors told him to give it up at his first heart attack at age 55, but he didn't. I wish he'd listened! You will be around for a very long time for which your loved ones will be thankful for!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    awesome job!
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Congrats. From a physical nicotine addiction point of view you're well past (maybe even over) it. Just the autopilot part of habit to kick.

Really well done.
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Congratulations!! I quit when I was pregnant with my oldest (now 21) but started again when she was 2. I quit for the last time when I was pregnant with my youngest (14 years ago). I WILL NEVER SMOKE AGAIN!! It is hard to do but with the support of your hubby and friend....you will do it!!! You should be so proud of yourself.
  • I quit and started back. My husband smokes and wasnt quitting with me so it was much harder. I have cut way back and your post makes me want to try again. Maybe I will take the money I am saving and pay myself instead. I am sure the money will pile up and I can use it for Christmas this year!!

Thank you for sharing- I think it was the right time for me to read message boards today :smile:
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Congratulations!!! That's quite an achievement! You've just added years to your life. :drinker:
  • jcamer12
    jcamer12 Posts: 12 Member
    way to go! Keep focused on how GREAT things will smell & taste when the nicotine is fully out of your system. What a wonderful example that you are setting for your family; "I'm not perfect but I'll work on the things I can work on that will help me and others". Way to GO!!!
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Congratulations on your great decision! I also started smoking at 13 and quit when I was 33. 20 years as a smoker and now going on 16 years as a non-smoker. I know that I'm healthier today because of the decision I made to quit back then. You will feel the same way someday!
  • awesome job!! :D
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Good for you! I am right there with you, been smoking since I was 16. Have been going strong for two months now, I can tell a huge difference. Keep it up, you can do it!

Congratulations to you! 2 months is a great accomplishment. :flowerforyou: That will be me in about 2 months. Lol.
  • missmgray
    Way to go!! I quit on August 1st as well. Certainly not easy! Good to know there is another quitter out there, maybe we can keep each other accountable!!

Quit twins unite!! :happy:
  • missmgray
    Awesome! Your children will thank you when they are old enough to understand. We have begged my mom to stop for years, but she wont. She is now 66 and it is starting to affect her health, it is scary and sad to see.

So sorry to hear about your mom. Keep encouraging her to quit. You never know when she might decide to stop. Sending good thoughts to you and your mom. :flowerforyou:
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Great choice!! So proud of you!:flowerforyou:
  • missmgray
    Thanks so much for all of the kind words and encouragement! It has made day four A LOT easier!

Looks like I am in great company with all of the other awesome quitters out there. Hearing about your quitting successes really inspires me to stick to this.

Thanks again all!
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Well done!!! I smoked for 10 years & quit just before we got married - then went on a European honeymoon where EVERYONE seems to smoke...in the house, in restaurants, anywhere!! I had one cigarette with my hubby's cousin & then bought a packet once we got home. Thankfully I then decided that I really didn't want to take it back up again & I haven't had one since - so now it's been over 10 years since my last one. Now, 4 kids later, the temptation is not longer there - these days I have other health concerns & don't want to add lung cancer to my list!!! It truly does get easier once the worst of the habit has been kicked & that can take some time.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Congratulations!
    I read just yesterday that within a year of quitting, you reduce the chances of a heart problem by about 50%. Other health benefits come quickly too. Great way to improve your health and fitness!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    CONGRATS! That is one of the HARDEST things you will ever do!! Stay strong!!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Congratulations!!!! I quit in my early 30's after smoking since I was a teenager and it was hard but worth it. Think of the $$$ you guys will save. It will be close to $300 a month if you both were smoking a pack a day. That adds up fast!!!!!!!!
  • missmgray
    Congratulations!
    I read just yesterday that within a year of quitting, you reduce the chances of a heart problem by about 50%. Other health benefits come quickly too. Great way to improve your health and fitness!

Thanks, I needed to hear that today. I'm still going strong (we all are) and it has been a full week! Woo.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    great job
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!