If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Options

Replies

• Lbishop1213
    Options
    My 10 year old has an iphone. Actually she had it when she was 9 and she had a cell phone since she was 4. I worked for a cell phone company! Her plan was 10.00 a month but I liked that she knew how to contact me if she needed to. Parents need to worry about raising their own children before they comment on someone elses!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think 10 is too young for an iPhone and I would judge in my head (stupid helicopter parents... would be my thought) but I would never say anything to the kid.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    You never ever berate a child's parenting technique in front of said kid, even if the parent is around. Regardless of the subject.

However, the important lesson to be learned is that mean people exist and you will run into them. Learn to let it roll and let it go.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with a 10 year old having a phone. I remember when I was a kid and had to go into the school to call home if I needed a ride early or if I was going to a friend's house. I also remember not being able to call home in the event of a minor emergency.

Although I am more of an android gal...iPhone is probably simpler for her to use then a lot of others anyway
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My son has had his own iPhone (3gs) since he was 11 months old. He's 2.5 now and a wizard with it and the iPad. I think it is great that he's that familiar with technology. *shrug* Calling is disabled though!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Do I think a child needs an iPhone or a phone at all? No. But I do work at a place of privilege and I have seen babies with Uggs and preteens with nice purses so I am not surprised anymore.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand the argument that "I didn't have one, so they shouldn't". The times have changed, humanity evolves, deal with it. We didn't have iPhones because they didn't exist, if they did I probably would have had one. You know what I did have at 9, a computer, my mother didn't have one when she was a kid though... bad parenting? nope!

People always seem to bang on about the fact that young peope want/have all these things now that young people didn't have 15 years ago. The reality is that people didn't have then what they have now. My parents are in their fifties and they have upgraded their technology with the times, as have I and as have the generation below us.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think 10 is a little young for a phone. When I was 10, I didn't have a phone. But your child, your choice. I don't see the point in saying anything to someone else. It's not my place.
    When I was ten, there wasn't even internet. LMAO! I MIGHT have been able to get a pager...as big as a IPAD.:laugh:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    First off, what better way to keep track of your kids while you are not with them. I for one have no issues with this 10 year old child having a phone. These days you can upgrade your phone cheaply and sometimes even for free so who cares if they get an iphone or whatever. And second I would be just like you, my kid, my business and you keep your thoughts on it to yourself. I agree with you OP. I hate people nosying into my business. I don't agree with the way a lot of people raise their kids but I don't tell the parents or the children my opinion.
    Agree. My 13 year old has one then cost us hardly anything to get one for the 10 yr old.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think 10 is too young for an iPhone and I would judge in my head (stupid helicopter parents... would be my thought) but I would never say anything to the kid.

Helicopter parent! So if you get your kid a phone - you're too over-protective?
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I had a phone at 10.

It wasn't super fancy like an iphone - but I mean hey if you've got the money.
    I would be a little worried to give a ten year old an iphone where I live as people are mugged for them quite often in my area (near a bus terminal).
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The times are changing fast and kids with cell phones are getting younger. My sister is 12 and she has had a cellphone since she was 5. I don't think it's bad parenting. Every parent has a different reason. I know lots of my sister's friends who have iphones (and she has a smart phone).
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I generally hate it when people criticize the stuff parents buy for their children--new cars, gadgets, or any things of that sort. If the parents can afford it, then let the kid have the stuff! There are other ways to teach character or discipline or responsibility besides simply not buying a child stuff
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I wouldn't give my children iphones, but I hate Apple and refuse to buy into the brand, though son 1 does have an ipod shuffle. And he has a phone, but it's a super basic phone.
    UK is more expensive anyway I think, but I wouldn't trust that a smart phone would be looked after by my 10 year old.
    But it's your parenting choice! You're not going to agree with lots of my choices and I won't agree with lots of yours. So long as we raise well rounded children I don't see a problem.

Another concern I'd have here in UK is that if my son had anything other than a basic phone, he might be mugged for it :mad: so it depends on your neighbourhood too I guess.
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I actually think this is really smart. iPhone's these days have a gps tracking thing so if the child goes missing etc you can get a clue as to their whereabouts or at least last location. There is also the bonus of being able to contact your child in the case of an emergency or to let them know what to do in the event of you being late for picking them up etc.

I don't think your kids' being spoiled, I think it's just prudent planning.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    We didn't made calls from our land lines without parents permission till we were like 13 but I'm from a different era. Today, I think if you can afford it, i'd get the kid a phone so they can make emergency calls and what not. Though I personally would get them a more old school cell phone (not a smartphone) so they can spend more time studying and less time texting/facebooking etc
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    Kids are growing up so quick. At 10 years old I was too busy rolling around in the grass. I didn't even notice technology, or even boys. :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

My daughters are 7, 9, 16, 18.
    The 7 and 9 will get phones this year because I travel A LOT and want to be able to reach them and they me.

Since I have tow old iPhones (due to plan changes in different countries) that is what they will get.

My wife travels a lot also and being able to reach our kids, has been very helpful - welcome to modernity -- luddites.
  • kris10lv84
    Options
    I definately think 10 is too young also...but never in a million yrs would i say something to the kid. The only thing that irritates me is that i have two boys 7 and 9..and my 9 yr old has been bugging me for a yr for his own phone. Its not necessary in my opinion. He thinks he should have one cuz some of the kids in his class have phones so of course he needs one too lol. Ive seen kids around 7 yrs old at his school with phones..now im sry but that is ridiculous.
  • kris10lv84
    Options

My daughters are 7, 9, 16, 18.
    The 7 and 9 will get phones this year because I travel A LOT and want to be able to reach them and they me.

Since I have tow old iPhones (due to plan changes in different countries) that is what they will get.

My wife travels a lot also and being able to reach our kids, has been very helpful - welcome to modernity -- luddites.

Of course reading some of these comments opened my eyes to the fact that there is exceptions..thats y id keep my mouth shut when i see a kid walking by on their phone. Id say yours is definately one of the exceptions.