Finding a Roommate Off of Craigslist - Yaay or No Way?

Options
RoboLikes
RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
I currently live alone in a two bedroom apartment. I can make the rent on my own, but it would be nice to split it with someone to have extra cash every month.

No one I know is looking to move, so what are your thoughts about finding a roommate through Craigslist?

Replies

• JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    How well do you like living?
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yaay if you dont mind russian roulette. No way if you've taken a liking to breathing.:flowerforyou:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    ooh i heard some seriously f up things from craigslist. Might as well post an ad around your town.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'd like my internal organs to stay internal, thanks.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I found two roommates through Craigslist and had no problems. Lived with them for 18months. However, I REALLY like living alone. If you can afford it, why not stay living alone?
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Ummm....have you ever heard of The Craigslist Killer :huh:
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    lmao at these responses. i think a better bet is to network naturally post on facebook and see if anyone needs a place to stay, i also have friends who found nice places to live on craigslist and from what i know they have all their organs and are still living *calls just in case*
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    oh im sure it is 100% safe. I wouldnt worry at all. Infact you could probably walk around naked and not worry. I mean the only people on craigslist are God fearing bible reading Chritians who just want to connect on some deep spiritual way.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    lmao at these responses. i think a better bet is to network naturally post on facebook and see if anyone needs a place to stay, i also have friends who found nice places to live on craigslist and from what i know they have all their organs and are still living *calls just in case*
    How you know the guy isn't imitating them? :indifferent: :sick:
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No way I would let a stranger live with me....
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    NO.

A friend of mine did it and he ended up being a flake and it didnt work out.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    How well do you like living?

^^^^Bahahahaha, great question!!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    An emphatic no way.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a website out there more roommate oriented...do a google search for it, it is likely safer than craigslist
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Only if you want to go to the trouble of an intense screening process. I'd let them know up front that you want to do a police background check on all applicants (the ones who don't have anything to hide won't care), I'd ask for references from previous land lords/ladies, and at least two personal references from non-relatives. It is risky to get a room mate, no matter the means. It could be someone you've known for years, but everyone has their quirky habits and faults that aren't apparent until you live with them.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I found a subleaser from Craigslist before to take over my lease. Last I heard, my old roommates were still alive so I guess it worked out. Personally, I like living alone and you couldn't pay me to have roommates again.

Edit: If you live near a college or university, it'll be a lot easier IMO. You can probably find a respectful, college student* to move in. I would just make sure that you do a background check and meet them before signing anything.

*Yes, some of us do exist :P
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I tried selling something on CL once and I had this person get really weird on me. Over a $20 dog cage. I was getting messages 2-3x a day at odd hours....and if I didn't reply within a few hours (they sent me a message at 1:30 in the morning and when I didn't reply, sent another at like 6!) They'd send another. I'm so grateful I didn't give them my phone number. I finally took the ad down, blocked their email and now the damn cage sits in my kitchen. Grrr. I'd ask around on FBl...someone has a friend/cousin/ex/family member that is looking and that way you have someone in common who can vouch for them.
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    NO WAY NO WAY...not unless you can afford an EXTENSIVE background check on someone. People are WEIRD< CRAZY< and just plain scary a lot of times.

A co-worker of mine was looking for a roomie and she was interviewing...she had someone ask if it is okay if they are naked all the time (no that naked is a bad thing) but when you barely know a person...EWWWWW

She also had someone ask if they could sell drugs out of their bedroom (no joke)...why would you ask something like that?

Those were the "normal" ones...lol. Definitely need to do a background check and if possible check their credit as well...you definitely want someone who could and will pay their bills.

I am in NEED of a roommate right now. My job cut back my hours so it is going to be difficult...but I am not going look on Criagslist. Hopefully, I find someone that I know and trust... a co-worker may room with me. Then we can share gas on carpooling too!!! (She is contemplating leaving her boyfriend of 12 years)...
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YAY but be careful and do your research! I found a roommate years ago in the local paper and we were a perfect roommate match. Now, my husband and I own a 2-family duplex and have found AMAZING tenants on Craigslist. Be sure to check references and trust your gut instinct!!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Finding a roomie on CL is like buying a vehicle from car rental lot. Anything that's been ridden that hard, used that much by that many people...well, ya better have real good insurance and don't give them a key.

Good luck...you may want to go through an apartment/house rental company. We have several here that place "pre-qualified" people.

Being a licensed counselor...I'd have them submit to a personality/compatibility test online. There are several ones that are free such as mypersonality.info...not a dating site.