Poll of the Day: Do You Actually Read Nutrition Labels?

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I have to figure it's calorie count or at least the raw ingredients, I normally try to find it on my MFP on my phone before I eat it.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes, since this is a calorie counting site I kind of have to look at the nutrition label for that info xD
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for years. I must admit, though that when i first started i was mainly doing it for the fat and the sodium contents. 1) being that i have CHF/CHD, and the added sodium completely screws with my body. (2) The more salt/sodium in your foods the more you want to drink then the more you want to eat (at least i'm that way) and it's a vicious cycle of over eating JUNK. (3) I started looking at the Cals the past few months or so, since i started this site. It kinda helps me keep in check when i eat vs exercise. Because some days i just can't get up and go so i really have to watch the kinds of foods i put in my body and my familys'.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    every single thing.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Honey....BE THAT PERSON!!! It takes hardly any time to enter in different foods...it just looks like you are taking longer because you are looking @ your phone and not the menu. It is SOOOO worth it not to consume 10,000mg of sodium and 1,400 cals and 80mg of fat!! Seriously....look up Chili's or Applebee's nutritional facts (maybe not ^^ that bad, but geez, pretty close)
    [/quote]

hmmmm, maybe i should start focus on the sodium too. If sodium is high I will not eat it but i don't always look.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    You are here because you are using myfitnesspal to lose weight right?

Just wondering.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely. Do I always second guess when I see that I probably shouldn't be eating it? No. But I always read the labels.
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    Yes all the time.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The majority of the time I do yeah. Though there's been a few times when I've been lazy and haven't - usually when I see an item on sale and go "Ooo! That would make a nice snack!"
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I look at the fat and sugar contents straight away, you get so good that you can give it a quick glance and work out if it's even worth having =]

Plus it's a good way to train yourself to naturally guess how many calories something is, I don't really need to look at most labels these days =]
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Even at the health food stores...I have found ingredients that are so bad for you even in some of the "healthy" packaged foods. Always, always read labels :tongue:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Since I joined MFP, yeah, I do. Do I always care about what I read? Nope.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm not calorie counting anymore..just watching my food choices and I still eye the nutritional facts... A huge part of losing weight and being healthy is KNOWING what we are eating.
  • Trsthr
    Trsthr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I read the labels. I look for high-fructose corn syrup and stevia or aspartame, because I no longer buy those products. I only buy foods made with real sugar, which I don't eat very much of anyway. I hate preservatives too, and I'm working on giving up anything that has soybean oil in it. I mainly eat meat, veggies and fruit. Doesn't always work out like that, but it's what I aim for.
  • grniys
    grniys Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, always!
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You better believe it!!! I won't even eat at a restaurant if they do not have a nutrition guide.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've read labels ever since they began using them. I learned How to read them That's the big thing. It's easy to learn. That's what Google is for. Fruits and vegetables. Another poster said she looks them up while shopping. I figure they're all fine, and for a serving, that's easier to look up at home. They should put in bigger letters, that the package often contains more than 1 serving. Again a matter of teaching ourselves.
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You bet I do!

Not only do I read nutrition labels but I also always scan the ingredients lists.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Yes, but mostly because my hubby can't have gluten or dairy. Do you know what types of things they manage to get this stuff into. Cooked "chicken breast" many brands contain wheat gluten and milk. How? Cooking sauces, forget about it. Cornflakes? You would think they made them with corn no? Apparently not!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do read the labels. My focus tends to be on low calorie, high fiber and low fat. I also drive my husband crazy when we are at a restruant because I always want to see the nutrition value before going to a restaurant and if they don't have the nutritional value on their food i will not go.
    Lots of restaurants have their nutrition facts on-line. Easier to check out before you go.