What's happened to MY FACE?!?

Options
I've always had clear skin throughout my teen years. If I had a pimple, it was usually just one at a time.. every month or so... And never, ever had I broke out on my cheeks or in clusters. Even with bulimia and restricting tendencies, my face was fine. The first few months of recovery I didn't see any change either... Then I hit a period in January 2012 where I binged 2-3 times a day, every day. I gained back 50 pounds of the 145 that I lost, and my face has been like this ever since. I'm not bingeing anymore, but I can't get my face to clear up. I'm trying cleansers for the first time, trying to drink more water, keeping my hands away from my face even though it itches and burns, etc. I've talked to my doctor and she didn't seem to give a *kitten*.

Before:

642549_1289.jpg

Emily11.jpg

Emily58.jpg

Photoon2011-04-28at17485.jpg

photo-8.jpg

After:

photo-4.jpg

photo-1-1.jpg

Any advice on what to do? It's very depressing. In fact, these after pictures are the first pictures I've taken of myself in 6 months because I'm so embarrassed. :ohwell:

Replies

• LeggiGetsFit
    LeggiGetsFit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post something like this.

I've had pretty good skin my whole life but ever since eating healthier and exercising my face consistently has a zit or 5! What gives? I wash my face every day and use a toner.

Bump to see what others say.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that's such a bummer, I'm sorry. The red flag for me was the itching and burning - definitely calls for a trip to the dermatologist. Make sure you tell him about changes in eating - it could be a change in hormones/nutrients/etc. Good luck!!
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I recommend that you try apple cider vinegar (either capsules or the liquid). It has worked wonders for me. Later in my teens (19) I developed cystic acne and it was the only thing that helped.
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a dermatologist. They can help.
  • l_beakley
    Options
    When I became a vegan, my face broke out due to the toxins from "other food" leaving my body. After a month or 2 it cleared up again & my skin is back to being blemish free. I never really had an acne problem but the food I eat plays a HUGE part in my complexion. Keep track of your breakouts & what you're eating & see if that is a possibility.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Proactiv?
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I heard washing your face with baking soda then moisturizing you face after helps get rid of break outs. I have horrible break outs when I am stressed!!
  • longleggedgiraffe
    Options
    Could be hormone changes... I never had trouble either til about age 30 now my face breaks out all the time. Usually around TOM.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested I use Hibiclens; I am breaking out like mad from medication I will be on ... FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

527241_421754921201287_1930186421_n.jpg

Me and my lady the other day. Blegh. Not only does it make me look huge; you see every single pimple on my face.
  • chasingpavements24
    chasingpavements24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    See a dermatologist - some antibiotics and retinol cream will clear you up in no time.

In the mean time, you might want to try avoiding all dairy and sugar and eating a sweet potato/day. It's full of vitamin a/c, which is amazing for your skin.

I've struggled with acne for many years - i know how much it sucks. Good luck getting better!
  • REALBIGBATBASTARD
    REALBIGBATBASTARD Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    its the drugs
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested I use Hibiclens; I am breaking out like mad from medication I will be on ... FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Me and my lady the other day. Blegh. Not only does it make me look huge; you see every single pimple on my face.

;_; I feel for you.
  • christwllms
    Options
    I had a similar problem at the age of 37!! I had never had problems before, even as a teen. I finally went to the dermetologist and got some medicine. It helps!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    See a dermatologist - some antibiotics and retinol cream will clear you up in no time.

In the mean time, you might want to try avoiding all dairy and sugar and eating a sweet potato/day. It's full of vitamin a/c, which is amazing for your skin.

I've struggled with acne for many years - i know how much it sucks. Good luck getting better!

Right. :) Thank you.

Thanks to all of you! Seeing a dermatologist didn't even cross my mind for some reason... Didn't think I'd ever need one.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

527241_421754921201287_1930186421_n.jpg

I just had to quote this to tell you that you're the only other person I've seen who has their eyebrow pierced twice on one side. I only have one done (my right one) but I've never even seen somebody have more than one.
  • Sloth_TurtleGirl
    Sloth_TurtleGirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem in Jan. After going through a period where I thought first that I was contagious, then that I had an allergic reaction, and then that maybe I was going through puberty again (I'm 42 lol), I finally went to a dermatologist. Rosacia was the answer. I had no clue. One thing that can trigger Rosacia is working out! Your dermatologist can give you meds to help. Mine appeared out of nowhere. There are some foods (and wine) that cause mine to get worse. The worst part is everyone has different triggers. Yours doesn't look that different from mine. You might want to visit a dermatologist and get a cause nailed down. He can tell you what it is and what you can do to get it under control while continuing your workouts. :smile:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I recommend rubbing rotting rats and also marmot feces into your skin twice a day, or possibly see your gp or derm (I'd do the doctor if you could over the random home remedies).

The +1 here is you are super adorable!
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with a similar issue. I managed to keep my skin clear for 1 year+, which coincided when I started eating healthy and exercising . But down the line, I fell off the wagon and stopped working out altogether. Ever since I started exercising again, I keep getting these pimples that are tender to touch and they leave red marks after they heal. My skin went from clear to spotty. D:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you try apple cider vinegar (either capsules or the liquid). It has worked wonders for me. Later in my teens (19) I developed cystic acne and it was the only thing that helped.

I'm going to try this for my son. Nothing has worked for him, not even ProActiv or the prescription from the dermatologist. Thanks for the idea!

I had read that excessive dairy can cause acne, and my son eats a lot of cold cereal, but even after I switched to almond milk, it didn't clear up.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have terrible breakouts every time I return from a deployment. Not during -- my skin is great before and during the deployments, but for months afterwards I'll have full-body breakouts. I just figure it's part delayed reaction, and part toxins and stress leaving my body. My docs agree, for what it's worth.
    All of that is to say, it could very well be temporary!

*ETA--if your doc isn't interested, and if it's stuck around a while, I agree that a trip to the dermatologist is in order!