Is Sugar Toxic?

Options
A friend recommended this video today. I thought it was interesting. Take it for what it's worth to you...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403942n

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    A friend recommended this video today. I thought it was interesting. Take it for what it's worth to you...

toxic meaning it will kill you? Sure, if you're buried uner 2 tons of granulated sugar, it's probably toxic. Toxic if you eat it? From my own experience, no, I've eaten sugar and not died from it. Of course, it might be a slow acting toxin which takes 80-100 years to take effect and I just haven't waited long enough.....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I assume this involves Dr LOLstig?
  • johnsnana
    Options
    It is for me. I suffered from bulimia for 16 years & sugar/carbs were ALWAYS by binge foods. You just don't see bulimics binging & purging on protein & vegetables! Even after being Low carb (60 net carbs or less a day) for over a year, if I eat sugar (for example, after my 1/2 marathon sat, I ate cookies & an ice cream sandwich) I felt sick & more importantly, was craving sugar (donuts) today. I feel it is very addicting, at the least, & we all know that it can cause diabetes which NO ONE wants to have.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to sugar. it makes me fat. ;D

^^my fave quote. heh. but its true. people binge on sugar/carbs because theyre comfort foods.

i now binge on salad, and its just not the same.
  • rjt1000
    Options
    It is for me. I suffered from bulimia for 16 years & sugar/carbs were ALWAYS by binge foods. You just don't see bulimics binging & purging on protein & vegetables! Even after being Low carb (60 net carbs or less a day) for over a year, if I eat sugar (for example, after my 1/2 marathon sat, I ate cookies & an ice cream sandwich) I felt sick & more importantly, was craving sugar (donuts) today. I feel it is very addicting, at the least, & we all know that it can cause diabetes which NO ONE wants to have.

sugar does not cause diabetes.
  • rjt1000
    Options
    i'm allergic to sugar. it makes me fat. ;D

^^my fave quote. heh. but its true. people binge on sugar/carbs because theyre comfort foods.

i now binge on salad, and its just not the same.

try putting chocolate syrup on the salad instead of oil and vinegar dressings....
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Dr Lustig compares the affects of sugar on your liver and other organs to alcohol. He says if you remove the extreme excess from your diet you can reduce or eliminate many health issues. It goes with the old saying everything in moderation. We just eat too much of it and it has been added to almost every thing you eat.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I smoked some sugar.... It wasn't as toxic as I had hoped!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Sugar does not cause diabetes.
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

Everything in moderation. Everything now a days causes cancer and is toxic, but I'd much rather put sugar in my body than chemical sweeteners, even if they claim they come from plants (which to me is the same thing as based on a true story)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Lustig tends to completely ignore dosage and context.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Learning German Language
    lustig (adj.)

Definition: funny

Examples: Dieser Clown ist gar nicht lustig - This clown is not at all funny.

Antonym: traurig - sad
  • rjt1000
    Options
    I smoked some sugar.... It wasn't as toxic as I had hoped!

you're not supposed to smoke it. You can try snorting it but main lining is really the best bang for your buck....
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    The only source of fuel for your brain is sugar. So, well ... you tell me.
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    The simple answer is: Yes, refined sugar is essentially toxic.

You might not want to believe it, but it's true. And the American Diabetes Association has nothing to gain from you knowing how toxic it is.

When processed sugars first started entering the European/Western diet, women herbalists (the "Old Wives" of the "tales") saw its effects and warned against it, but, as people started craving sugar, it became a huge industry, tied right in with the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. Europeans craved processed sugar like cocaine, and proto-venture capitalists traded in it like gold, and later oil or other mineral rights.

Anyway, those women were silenced (ridiculed, told their knowledge was useless because they didn't have the newly invented medical degrees that only the rich could afford and the male could attend school for), and sugar became accepted as a harmless ingredient, added to everything, no matter how sick it makes us.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the total falsity in which you claim sugar causes diabetes, I'm really curious as to how the hell you trained for a half marathon on 60g or less of carbs per day. That is insanely low carb for anybody, let alone somebody who's running upwards of (I'm assuming) 30 miles a week. I was tired as hell when I got less than, like, 250 when I was doing peak mileage.
    Actually, since you're eating such a low carb diet and running a great volume, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the reason you were craving sugar is because your body requires glucose and you're not giving it enough carbs to break down into glucose.
    Additionally, and this is just nitpicking, but bulimia, or any other binge eating disorder, doesn't have limitations on what constitutes a binge. There are people who binge on proteins and vegetables. Just because you binged on sugar doesn't mean everybody else does.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is: Yes, refined sugar is essentially toxic.

You might not want to believe it, but it's true. And the American Diabetes Association has nothing to gain from you knowing how toxic it is.

When processed sugars first started entering the European/Western diet, women herbalists (the "Old Wives" of the "tales") saw its effects and warned against it, but, as people started craving sugar, it became a huge industry, tied right in with the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. Europeans craved processed sugar like cocaine, and proto-venture capitalists traded in it like gold, and later oil or other mineral rights.

Anyway, those women were silenced (ridiculed, told their knowledge was useless because they didn't have the newly invented medical degrees that only the rich could afford and the male could attend school for), and sugar became accepted as a harmless ingredient, added to everything, no matter how sick it makes us.

10/10 for nonsense
  • gdbadass
    Options
    The only source of fuel for your brain is sugar. So, well ... you tell me.

The only source of fuel for your brain is glucose. Which it can make from any available carbohydrates in your food, or from fat ("ketosis"). Added sugar is absolutely unnecessary, medically, if that's what you're trying to say.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It wasn't called Sugar Diabetes for nothing...
  • gdbadass
    Options

10/10 for nonsense

Good luck proving that.
  • turkkm
    turkkm Posts: 66
    Options
    Moderation is the key! Even things that are good for you can cause harm if you injest too much of the stuff. For example, we all know how good water is for you and I read somewhere that you can drink too much of the stuff.