Is Sugar Toxic?

Options

Replies

• JodieChampoux
    JodieChampoux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have RA which I treat through diet, gentle exercise, herbs and acupuncture. The first thing my therapist took me off of was sugar, not just refined sugar, but even fruit. I can feel the difference in my pain levels when I avoid all forms of sugar and sweeteners, have been doing this for 12 years now.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    do some independent research

I have. Have you?
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good debate, but I really do have to eat. I worked out a lot today. I just stumbled onto this one and thought I'd add my two cents. Didn't know MFP was so lively!

Please do your research on sugar, instead of debating it - look around and make up your own mind. Comparing it to peanut butter is ridiculous. Why not celery? Why not pork rinds ?

Look at sugar for what it is, and do some independent research, if you are really curious.

I look at sugar for what it is all the time. It's a sweetner that has a lot of calories. And if I eat too much of it, I gain weight. Same thing that happens if I eat too much peanut butter. Or too much chicken. Or too much potato salad.

BUT, sugar does not have the same effect on my body as toxins like Draino, chlorine bleach, hydrochloric acid, or gasoline have if I consume them.

TOXINS- poison. Sugar- NOT poison.

Now, if we want to really get some people posting in this thread, we need to say the secret word ASP---AME and presto, 1000 posts.....
  • rjt1000
    Options
    I have RA which I treat through diet, gentle exercise, herbs and acupuncture. The first thing my therapist took me off of was sugar, not just refined sugar, but even fruit. I can feel the difference in my pain levels when I avoid all forms of sugar and sweeteners, have been doing this for 12 years now.

sure, in some specific medical circumstances, sugar is bad for you. In general, no.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Now, if we want to really get some people posting in this thread, we need to say the secret word ASP---AME and presto, 1000 posts.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good debate, but I really do have to eat. I worked out a lot today. I just stumbled onto this one and thought I'd add my two cents. Didn't know MFP was so lively!

Please do your research on sugar, instead of debating it - look around and make up your own mind. Comparing it to peanut butter is ridiculous. Why not celery? Why not pork rinds ?

Look at sugar for what it is, and do some independent research, if you are really curious.

I look at sugar for what it is all the time. It's a sweetner that has a lot of calories. And if I eat too much of it, I gain weight. Same thing that happens if I eat too much peanut butter. Or too much chicken. Or too much potato salad.

BUT, sugar does not have the same effect on my body as toxins like Draino, chlorine bleach, hydrochloric acid, or gasoline have if I consume them.

TOXINS- poison. Sugar- NOT poison.

acylation stimulating protein? heard that was a myth
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Just because people haven't reached the same conclusions as you doesn't mean they haven't thoroughly researched a topic themselves. They asked you a question, and you're giving the run around.
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    First: I am not arguing either side of the argument. I just wanted to clear something up.

"Toxic" doesn't necessarily mean it will kill you. Your body (liver) will, however, process a toxin before other nutrients. For instance, alcohol is a toxin so your liver prioritizes the processing of alcohol and stops metabolizing fats until the alcohol has been broken down. The same holds true to environmental toxins and all other toxins.

As mentioned before, I am not taking sides because I have never looked into what happens with refined sugar. I just wanted people to understand the word "toxic" in this context.
  • rjt1000
    Options
    First: I am not arguing either side of the argument. I just wanted to clear something up.

"Toxic" doesn't necessarily mean it will kill you. Your body (liver) will, however, process a toxin before other nutrients. For instance, alcohol is a toxin so your liver prioritizes the processing of alcohol and stops metabolizing fats until the alcohol has been broken down. The same holds true to environmental toxins and all other toxins.

As mentioned before, I am not taking sides because I have never looked into what happens with refined sugar. I just wanted people to understand the word "toxic" in this context.

yes, there is a difference between the words "toxin" and "toxic". The original post used the word "toxic" which gets you the definition something like "acting as or having the effect of a poison". We can pull the definition for "poison" if needed.....
  • steveinct
    steveinct Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    yes, there is a difference between the words "toxin" and "toxic". The original post used the word "toxic" which gets you the definition something like "acting as or having the effect of a poison". We can pull the definition for "poison" if needed.....

True, but toxic, according to Merriam Webster, doesn't necessarily kill you either since the words "serious debilitation" are in the definition. In reality, it is all semantics anyway. I eat sugar so I don't give two poops about this debate. =)
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options

Just because people haven't reached the same conclusions as you doesn't mean they haven't thoroughly researched a topic themselves. They asked you a question, and you're giving the run around.

*throws down glove*

why, good sir (?), i take umbrage at this disparagement of my character!

I will endlessly debate any point, even if the point keeps being changed from what i said to something i did not say, simply because i have nothing better to do! have at thee!!!

seriously, though. is the question one of toxicity and dosage? sorry, i don't have that information, nor the will to find it for you. you win. congratulations!

i suspect that when the tobacco industries were first questioned about their product, they replied with similar statements: "our product, which brings such pleasure to so many, harmful? but, i've used it for years, with nary an ill effect. sure, *some* people get sick, but that doesn't prove anything. toxicity and dosage, please!"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to sugar. it makes me fat. ;D

^^my fave quote. heh. but its true. people binge on sugar/carbs because theyre comfort foods.

i now binge on salad, and its just not the same.

True. Salad is nothing like sugar.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Even water can be toxic in high enough doses. That said overtime with excessive ingestion and perhaps sometimes even not so excessive people can develop an intolerance to sugar which can escalate into other health problems.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of ketogenesis is what diabetics need to go to hospital for. Shouldn't really be strived for by a healthy indivdual. We produce our own sugar from fat and/or protein only when our brains are in dire need of CHO, hence the nasty side effects. And the metabolic cycle requires CHO in order to process fat and protein. It's part of the Krebs cycle. Do we "need" "processed" sugar? Define need and define processed. There's so much marketing mumbo jumbo out there that anyone who can read a food label thinks they're a nutritionist/RD.
    Good luck to you all.
  • gdbadass
    gdbadass Posts: 60
    Options
    Symptoms of ketogenesis is what diabetics need to go to hospital for. Shouldn't really be strived for by a healthy indivdual.

That's ketoacidosis - way on the other end of the pH scale. Ketosis is different.

I don't think anyone was advocating it - just saying that the brain can be fueled by fat as well as carbohydrate/glucose/
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You might not want to believe it, but it's true. And the American Diabetes Association has nothing to gain from you knowing how toxic it is.

What is that supposed to mean? That the ADA has a secret agenda?

At a molecular level, sugar is sugar whether it is in fruit or candy. It breaks down to the same thing. However, there's way more of it in candy, which is why consumption needs to be limited and why dosage is important.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The only source of fuel for your brain is sugar. So, well ... you tell me.
    Uh NO Not True . The brain's fuel is fat. The body does need ANY added sugar to function.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The only source of fuel for your brain is sugar. So, well ... you tell me.
    Uh NO Not True . The brain's fuel is fat. The body does need ANY added sugar to function.

Actually, the brain needs some glucose (which is what all carbohydrate metabolises down to, not just 'sugar') to function optimally.

The key point being that it does not need to come from the diet, the liver can make enough through a process called gluconeogenesis.
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    >>Upon doing a Google search, the only source of claims of the toxicity of sugar is Dr. Robert Lustig. Every single article that mentions sugar as being toxic or poisonous links back to him. Generally, when information is coming from one source, it is not reliable. There were no direct studies about fructose as a whole being toxic, but there was a mention of research from University of California Davis which is suggesting that excess consumption of high fructose corn syrup could increase your cholesterol, which can then increase risk for heart disease.
    A Google Scholar search turned up absolutely nothing. Not a single article. Unless, of course, you're concerned about a type of sugar that is toxic to honey bees. <<

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHgChvUwh8
    (jorge Cruze and Dr. Oz on sugar as a toxin)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    As we are looking way back then John Yudkin's "Pure White And Deadly" book from the 70s is probably relevant.

There is also a strangely priescent documentary "The Sugar Trap" on YouTube from 1986:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OcH9K_RvYk

Look, I am not saying a bit of sugar is bad and maybe calling it 'toxic' is a bit much but it's in so much processed junk that it's so difficult to avoid.

Lustig also has some issues with both the facts in his presentations (documented by Zoe Harcombe on her website) and a credibility problem, i.e. he is sugar-fixated, podgy and admits to eating bagels and junk.

Call me crazy but I'd rather listen to someone like Mark Sisson or Robb Wolf for a decent well-rounded view of what constitutes good health.