How to get rid of ice cream cravings?

Options
I am really trying to lose weight but my step dad is trying to GAIN weight. He has a bunch of ice cream in the house, and I am talking like 4-5 CARTONS of the stuff. I have the worst will power in the world so I always eat it. Please help me get rid of these cravings!

Replies

• astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    take a banana slice it up freeze the slices. add it to a food processor with 2 teaspoons chunky peanut butter and 1/4 teaspoon cocoa powder. its 185 calories if you do 100 grams of banana. its amazing how much it really does taste like ice cream i hope this helps
  • wildrosejmj
    wildrosejmj Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Slice and freeze bananas and then put them in a food processor. it will taste just like vanilla ice cream. If you want berries or peanut butter or even a little chocolate, just add it. It's amazing!!

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I eat icecream almost everyday,I just fit it in my allowed calories,dont give up what you like just do it in moderation,I dont eat half a gallon at a time like I used to ,now I have 125 grams when I have some,this is not a diet for me ,its a change in the way I eat,I will never give up the foods that I love to eat.I have lost 82 pounds by doing it this way,you can too
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, Frozen Yogurt (Julie's organics makes a terrific low fat frozen yogurt bar), low fat string cheese, Jello fat free/sugar free pudding.... Or, there are those days where I will have only a spoonful of regular ice cream (yes, I log it). It was only a month or so ago that I couldn't stop with just one spoonful... but all of those other things helped me with the cravings. Also tons of water!!! Good luck to you!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Greek yogurt with hershey's cocoa powder for baking and splenda. Tastes like a thick creamy chocolate milkshake...or at least I think so.

a cup of it is usually around 140-170 cals and its very filling
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sugar free or no sugar added ice cream or frozen yogurt can be pretty low in calories. We normally have a small cup every night and just budget it in. If you keep your portions in line it wont hurt you.

One tip we use: Use a small coffee cup or similar size dish instead of a bowl. 1/2 a cup of ice cream sitting in a cereal bowl looks anemic, but 1/2 a cup in a coffe cup looks pretty good!
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Frozen cool whip. Skinny cow mini's. Give husband pint of good stuff, eat three bites. Drink a cup of coffee. Make homemade ice cream. Give child a bowl of good stuff, eat three bites.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Work in an ice cream shop! I'm only half joking-- I worked at one in high school and became so sick of ice cream, I still rarely eat it now 5 years later. Maybe you could substitute it for something else sweet? Or at least a healthier version, like fat-free frozen yogurt.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't try to get rid of it, I just monitor it. Like, I just have a serving size and leave room in my calories for it...Or buy frozen yogurt.

OR make yogurt Popsicle...just put regular yogurt in the Popsicle containers and freeze...that's my hubby's new thing. I like skinny cow candy too
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also - looking to try this:

http://www.myarcticzero.com/

My local grocery store carries it, my husband is an ice cream FANATIC and this doesn't look too awful.
  • sherri321
    Options
    Try adding a whole banana to 1/2 cup of ice cream. That way you are eating something healthy and still get a taste of the ice cream you love.
  • MissLynne10
    MissLynne10 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Frozen greek yogurt!
  • RollerDerbyLexi
    RollerDerbyLexi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try a McDonald's ice cream cone. They are about 100 calories each. I don't buy cartons cause I would eat half in one sitting.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I too just work it in when I want some. I weigh out a single serving (sometimes two) and if I'm feeling fancy might throw some strawberries and chopped nuts on top. I don't buy sugar free or fat free or anything, so calories range from 110 to 300+ per half cup - read the labels. You can also use some to make a truly delicious dessert protein shake with some skim milk, protein powder, and fruit. I do that on lift days sometimes.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I really love low-fat/fat free fudgesicles. Very yummy!

Or try sugar free popsicles.

The other day I made Nutella fudgesicles--blend 1 cup skim milk and 1/3 cup nutella in a blender. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. So tasty!! I didn't figure the nutrition on those, but my popsicle molds hold about 1/4 cup each and I made 6 of them with this recipe.

If you like chocolate, try Haagen Dazs chocolate sorbet. It's very rich, you can't eat a very large portion!

There's a ton of recipes floating around for "banana soft serve." Basically peel and chop a banana up, then freeze. Blend in blender or food processor with just enough milk to get it moving. Drizzle with a bit of ff chocolate sauce if you like.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I blend up mixed frozen berries with unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia (or whatever you like), vanilla and some almond milk. Sometimes with banana. Not because I am trying to avoid ice cream. I just like that.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    eat an appropriate portion and chart it
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up Fro-Yo is just as bad... sometimes worse than Ice cream - read the label before you buy/eat it.

If you really want the ice cream have it. They have a measured serving, work it into your day. I literally (and I am using this in the correct sense) have ice cream every day.
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options

The other day I made Nutella fudgesicles--blend 1 cup skim milk and 1/3 cup nutella in a blender. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. So tasty!! I didn't figure the nutrition on those, but my popsicle molds hold about 1/4 cup each and I made 6 of them with this recipe.

I'm a Nutella fiend! I just might have to make these. Maybe even try them with Cookie Butter. Definitely have to figure out these nutrition facts soon for myself. ;-)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you can portion it, by all means, have a half cup.
    if you're the type that will overeat, then maybe cold turkey/once a week works best.