How do you cook your eggs?

Options
coliema
coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
I'm just curious as to how you eat/like your eggs? I've always heard about poached eggs, but have never tried one, I'm not sure if I'd like it, but I love eggs!

Scrambled, and hard boiled are my favorite!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs are lovely (especially on spinach....mmm...) but they are very tricky to get just right.

One variant is to bake them in theh oven. You can make an eggs florentine this way - line an ovenproof bowl with plenty of spinach, break an egg into it, sprinkle with cheese, and then bake in the oven until the egg is at the right consistency.

Or bake them in a bowl of salsa for huevos rancheros.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I generally hard boil mine. I eat 4 a day so I hard boil and peel a weeks worth of eggs at a time. Peeling them is definitely a pain, but it saves me time in the mornings. I like scrambled eggs when I have more time to cook them.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Scrambled with bacon, cheese and spinach with tabasco and cayenne.

Preferably eggs from the 'next door' neighbour too (we collect scraps and get the spoils :)) ... lovely colour yolks :)
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    boiled, scrammbled, fried, poached.... is there any other way?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I usually eat mine either hard boiled or over-medium. With of course bacon, potatoes and toast!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I cook eggs in all sorts of ways - scrambled, often with added veg, soft boiled, with bread to dunk in, hard boiled and chopped up into a salad, fried, and also when I'm making chicken noodle soup, I sometimes pour a whisked egg into it, so it has wisps of egg in it. I don't tend to poach them, because it's a bit messy unless you have one of those special pans with cup things to poach the eggs in.
  • johnnyash
    Options
    I go for raw but poaching is easy.

Get a shallow fry pan and half fill with water and bring it to the boil. Turn it down so it isn't bubbling. Crack your eggs into a cup (make sure it has a handle) and gently lower it into the water and slide the eggs in. Let them sit for 5-6 mins and gently spoon water over the top of the eggs until the white goes opaque.

Voila! Try not to use vinegar, it does nothing but make the eggs taste like vinegar:)
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Scrambled with cheese and green peppers!
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the microwave for 1 minute & sometimes put it on a breakfast sandwich.
  • Australia2013
    Options
    I scramble my eggs with a little turkey and Parmesan cheese. I really dislike eggs and this is one of the only ways I can eat them.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every way but raw. I love poached egg with smoked salmon, bolied with toast or asparagus, scrambled with breakfast, cheesy omelettes, frittattas, veggie quiches. All lovely.
  • ltl_leah
    ltl_leah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My new favorite way to cook my eggs is to take 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg, vanilla, and cinnamon and scramble. Cook in a pan and drizzle with sugar free maple syrup. Tastes like French Toast! Nom, nom, nom.
  • KeiKun
    KeiKun Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    113-8614357SPA74UC722073M.jpg
    I heat up my Tefal non-stick egg pan on the hob, then spray it with the 1 calorie oil, Fry Light [or Pam in the USA].
    Then I toss in an egg, and flip onto a slice of toast :bigsmile:

For dinner eggs, I'll fry up some onion, mushroom, pepper, sweetcorn etc [with the 1 cal spray].
    While that fries, I'll boil a potato, which I'll mash up with 5g of margarine/butter and a splash of milk \o/
    Then make an omelette with the mash in the middle! So so so yum :love:
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. I usually eat them hard boiled, but I like them in every possible way. I can't cook poached eggs, so I always buy poached eggs on toast when I am visiting my office in the UK - there's a place near the office that makes them and they are amazing.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I prefer mine fried or hard boiled. I like scrambled, too, but if I have a choice I'll have them one of the other two ways. I LOVE my hubby's fried eggs. Mine just don't taste the same.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I typically cook up a few strips of turkey bacon, and then fry eggs in the turkey bacon grease. Top with smoked paprika and maybe some chives or green onions. Gives the egg some excellent flavor.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    POACHED
    Pot or pan with about 2" water.
    Add cap full of vinegar. (Keeps egg from spreading out)
    When tiny bubbles appear on the bottom, gently add egg. (You are trying to maintain a constant temperature (Look it up. From memory about 165 F. From experience, I think that is when the tiny bubble appear)
    Cook about 3-5 minutes.
    You want the yolk to run a little but not too much.

FAKE HOLLANDAISE
    I can make Hollandaise for poached eggs, but my recipe is 6 egg yolks and 2 sticks of butter.
    A healthy alternative is 1/2 cup greek yogurt, juice from half a lemon, pinch salt, pinch white pepper.
    I also add a pinch of cayenne sometimes which is not in hollandaise.

Serve over english muffin with ham.

OMLETTE
    I just learned to make an omlette
    Spray 10" pan with Pam.
    Whish 3 eggs in a bowl. Use a whisk. Whisk and whisk and whisk until tiny bubbles appear in the eggs. You do not need to add milk.
    Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to pan. This will help put some color on the omlette. I also use it to guage temperature. You want pan hot but not too hot. When butter melts over medium high heat, add eggs.
    For 30 seconds you can scrape edges of eggs to middle to help it all cook. After 30 seconds, leave it alone and do not touch it.
    When it is just runny in the middle add cheese or add sauted veggies (From a separate frying pan)
    Lift pan and hold at 45 degree angle, fold omlette with a spatulat. Cook another 30-60 seconds
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any way - usually scrambled or fried (over medium) with a little bit of runny in the middle. That was better when I ate toast though. Omelettes - my fave is spinach, tomato, bacon and cream cheese. And of course they gotta be cooked in bacon grease.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fried, scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, over-easy. Just about any way except raw.

My cats love them too.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    My personal favourite is poached on toast. Preferably fresh from my own chooks.

But really, it depends on what I'm doing. Omelets are yummy, as are frittatas. I'll sometimes do some caramelised onion in a small pan, crack two eggs over the top and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and wait. Serve with whatever veggies I feel like.

I love having a boiled egg ready to go in the fridge for a snack. Soft boiled eggs with toast for dipping is just lovely comfort food as well.