What is the best advice you can give others?

Options

Replies

• hlandry6
    hlandry6 Posts: 230
    Options
    Never give up! Even if you feel as if you are making no progress. It takes time!
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Always spend that little bit extra for the good quality toilet paper.

That's the best piece of life advice I know.
  • moxiepedia
    Options
    For me, planning my meals a week in advance has really made a difference. With one trip to the grocery store, I know my kitchen will be well-stocked for the coming days. I no longer find myself trying to figure out what to eat at the last minute, which can lead to convenient and less healthy choices.

Plan to eat every 3-4 hours to keep yourself sustained and your metabolism going. Also, eating regularly will help to not scarf down your food. Be a mindful eater.

Drink plenty of water!
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Im sure this had been mentioned .

You will occasionally fail, and thats alright.
    The key is to learn from that.
  • pissedoffchris
    pissedoffchris Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey all im reading about a diet tool call intermittent fasting. You are suppose to choose a window be it 4, 6 , 8 hours in which you have all your caloric intake for that day some people where saying they do it for 24 hours every other day then eating every other day the purpose from what i gather is tap into your body stored body fat after not eating for a long period of time. It suppose help you burn a crazy amount of fat you guys can google it to see if its something you wanna try. I'm giving it a shot :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Follow the advice on this site.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Find an exercise(s) that you enjoy and do them regularly.
  • kt2134
    kt2134 Posts: 45
    Options
    Do something you can live with.

Saying you can NEVER again eat this or that, or shunning all the foods you love, or insisting you must do 8 hours cardio a day, every day, etc. will lead to quick failure.

I say the exact same thing to my sister all the time. I'll offer that same advice to anyone who asks. It's all about balance and portion control.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Thanks this is great!
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Make time for exercise whether it be 5 minutes or an hour make time.
    Take care of your body.
    Don't give up foods that you love, eat it in moderation.
    Drink lots and lots of water.
    Don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't go down because all that matters is that you know you are putting forth the effort in losing weight.
    Remember this is not a diet, this is a journey. Don't get down and discouraged!!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Eat less!

Move more!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    1. Losing weight is one battle

2. maintaining a goal weight is another separate battle

3. Not so good to weigh everyday when losing because you can get discouraged

4. very good to weigh everyday after you reach goal to keep my #1 point out of your life (that is why I'm here again)
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What really helped me was cutting out soda at restaurants, at home, etc. I drop 5 - 10 lb in about a month just from that.
  • Becky_Boop
    Options
    Log everything you eat and drink, an make sure it is measured out. It is easy to drink away your calories and to not realise how a portion should look.

Don't deprive yourself of anything but also don't use that as an excuse to eat everything you love. Sometimes you will have to say no to that big BBQ burger and yes to a large salad instead!

When you don't want to go to the gym just focus on getting out of the door! I keep my gym kit next to the front door, once im out of the flat I almost always make it to my workout

Find out if your gym offers free trainers. Having someone else make a program for me to follow has helped me stick to it.

Measure as well as weighing yourself. Take pictures. You'll notice the changes better this way
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The biggest lesson I've learned thus far is, any step forward is a step in the right direction and baby steps count, too. Also, I am slowly learning that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. In the past, if I wasn't seeing results all the way across the board, I'd get frustrated and give up. Now I know that ANY success, great or small, is still success.

I've found that, what works best for me in terms of seeing results on the scale, is a fairly clean eating regimen. That's not to say that I don't EVER eat something I shouldn't. We all have our momentsof weakness. However, as a rule, I don't eat anything out of a box, bag, or can (exceptions are whole grain pastas, breads, and cereals, some dairy, and some frozen veggies). As far as exercise, I do strength training w/ some cardio 2-3 days/wk and an hour of cardio 3-4 days/wk. On cardio days, I also implement leg/core conditioning exercises.

Oh, and watch your sodium intake and drink LOTS of water. I've found that this helps eliminate some of the week to week weight fluctuation.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals

Eat whole foods, - lean proteins, vegetables & fruits - they will keep you fuller for longer, so calorie counting is a breeze

Try new recipes, keep up the variety to keep up the motivation.

You can do this.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Like others have said: Patience.

Also, one blip is not the end. I figure I ate crap for years to get fat, if I slip up on one day, I'm not going to gain it all back. Sometimes I even go a whole week without worring about food. The difference? Now, I just make better choices naturally.

This is something that you should feel is making you healthier but also allowing you to live your life. Like Sidesteal said earlier, do NOT make this complicated.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    The biggest thing for me is to make sure that the changes you're making are sustainable. If it isn't something you can stick with, you need to try something else, otherwise you're dooming yourself to failure. Don't think of this as a short-term journey with a specific goal or end, think of it as changing the way you live. Granted, you may be able to scale things down after a while (for example, I'm currently going to the gym 5 nights a week, but when I get to maintenance mode I will likely lower that to three), but these changes need to be permanent.

The other thing is, don't get discouraged. Remember, if you're eating healthy and exercising you're doing something GOOD for your body, and for your emotional and mental health as well. Don't freak out if you hit a plateau, or if the weight isn't coming off as quickly as you'd like. Keep at it, and you'll see results.
  • katoliver2001
    Options
    Keep a food diary. I just love this MyFitnessPal. It totally makes it easy to keep track and then you can see how you are doing. Before I just guessed and, guess what, I was over eating... Go figure. So, my advice is to commit to writing down what you eat so you can see your habits, change them if they are excessive, and get on track to feeling healthier. I have been doing this for a week now and my energy level has gone up and I use to drink RedBull for energy. Now, I don't have to.
    Oh, I start my day with two glasses of water. It wakes me up and I read that it is good for your internal organs to get a boost on the day.
    There's my two cents worth.
    I hope it helps
    :-)
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to advice on websites. Seriously. People need to take what they read on sites like this and others with a grain of salt. You can take it but it's best to apply certain things learned from others and adjust them to what works best for you.
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The Best advice I would give beyond anything else is.................................... MENTALLY prepare yourself first!!!!!!

Before you even start thinking about eating clean, working out, buying Insanity, new training shoes and clothes whatever!! You have to get your mind right (right-mindness) literally, or you will fail or it will be another failed attempt! Your body is a learning tool in this physical world the mind is what creates!! The mind is more powerful then we realize it never loses it's creative force, it never sleeps (think about it), every instant it is creating! Thought and belief, thought and belief combined! There are no idle thoughts, all thinking produces form at some level.

TRAIN YOUR MIND FIRST and the BODY WILL FOLLOW!!

Blessings