how many calories should you be eating for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• xaveria2
    xaveria2 Posts: 62
    Options
    Everyday I start my day with the same breakfast totaling 83 calories. I have a bowl of oatmeal with 10 blueberries. I use 1/4 cup oatmeal and 1/2 cup of water which is half of a normal serving but makes me sick if I eat that much. I don't use milk or butter in it just splenda to taste.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    482 for me. Every day. Without fail. :)

Funny because studies have shown the optimal b-fast calorie count is 457. More than that is too much and less is too low.

Studies. There's always studies. I know what I take for breakfast is good for me, so the calories for me not an issue. It also keeps me completely satisfied until my lunch at 1pm. And I have breakfast at 6am. No snacks, no nothing. And if that was the case, the things like IF and ADF wouldn't work, but clearly they do. :)
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I usually have a over 500 calories
  • kt2134
    kt2134 Posts: 45
    Options
    Breakfast is usually 350 to 450 calories for me. I'll have egg and bacon on an english muffin with a yogurt. Or a smoothie, that totals about 400 calories by time I add oatmeal or Kashi cereal. Those are like my 3 most common breakfasts.
  • moonfire628
    Options
    I generally eat about the same amount of calories per meal, and I always have a smoothie for breakfast that puts me at about 220-250 calories (depends on what I put in it that day lol) It depends on what and how you are eating though, but for me a 250-calorie meal is plenty because I can't actually eat that much in one sitting.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Porridge (UK) = Oatmeal (US,)..... (Right?)

I'm from the U.S. and I think of Porridge as oatmeal with other stuff added to it (like dried fruits and nuts), but if there's nothing else in it, it's just oatmeal.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So breakfast is the most important meal of the day huh. I havn't ate breakfast in years. That must be what is keeping me from getting ripped....
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Just find something that works for you. Eat something that fills you up and leaves you enough calories for any other meals you'll want to eat.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think you just need something, anything, to kickstart your metabolism. Today my breakfast was over 400 calories, yesterday it was under 100. I believe it all evens out in the end, however, I guess it is true that the more calories you eat in the morning, the more time during the day you have to burn them off, so probably more calories in the morning is better than more calories in the evening. I'd like to keep dinners light, but haven't been able to train my husband/cook on that yet. =>
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 300 - 400 (and I exercise a lot).

I also try to eat good carbs (Fruit, Oatmeal, Protein Bar/shake) early in the day to give me the energy to power through the rest of my day.
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it at 200-400 cals for breakfast. I have been eating every 2-3 hours, and find that works best for my metabolism.

breakfast this week is 1/2 cup rolled oats with a mashed banana and 1/2 cup blueberries. delicious and filling
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am trying to stay at around 1,500 calories so I split my breakfast/lunch/dinner at around 300-400 calories each and then have 2-3 snacks of around 150-200 calories each. Lunch usually ends up to be the biggest meal of the day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually take in 2-300 at breakfast, except on the weekends, when I sometimes go up to 600.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    for breakfast, "the most important meal of the day" should you be eating healthy but with a significant amount of calories to start up your metabolism, or keep it still healthy obviously, but a smaller amount of calories? to throw a number out, under 300 calories, or over? just curious

Your metabolism isn't started by breakfast or any other foods for that matter. That's basically a myth. You do burn calories processing food, and people mistakenly took that to mean that the more often you eat, the more calories you burn (also false).

Generally speaking, all you need to concern yourself with as far as meal sizes and timing:

1) Hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day*
    2) Eat with a timing/frequency/meal size according to personal preference and gym performance.

* and some people will have an easier time doing this using a specific timing or size. Ex: I skip breakfast because it makes it much easier for me to stay within my goals by doing so.

^^ What he said! I wonder why I even bother reading the boards you are on.... you always say what I was gonna say anyway! :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think you just need something, anything, to kickstart your metabolism. Today my breakfast was over 400 calories, yesterday it was under 100. I believe it all evens out in the end, however, I guess it is true that the more calories you eat in the morning, the more time during the day you have to burn them off, so probably more calories in the morning is better than more calories in the evening. I'd like to keep dinners light, but haven't been able to train my husband/cook on that yet. =>

The above is actually somewhat of a giant fitness myth that wasn't actually ever true.

Not telling you this to pick on you, but you should probably see this, and specifically note the sites I've linked to in the below. The part about diet induced thermogenesis:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529025-a-compilation-on-meal-frequency
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 300 (including my tea which has 20 cals of creamer and 30 cals of sugar). I also have some OJ first thing before I work out and then a post-workout drink that is usually 170-200. I have breakfast later when I get to work, then snacks, lunch, snacks, dinner...I pretty much eat all day but rarely go over my calorie goal
  • alexis831
    Options

false we are not a car and it takes 60 hours before your metabolism slows from not eating. I don't eat breakfast. It doesn't work for me.
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I try not to count the calories too much in the morning. I just try to make sure they aren't EMPTY calories and make sure I'm getting the right nutrition to start my day. Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day.

Fuel yourself according to what you have planned for the day. Try to get an idea of what you will have for lunch or dinner to work out your calorie intake in the morning if you'd like.

Usually I will just eat some oatmeal and a piece of fruit. Keeps me full and very nutritious! ^_^
  • alexis831
    Options
    So breakfast is the most important meal of the day huh. I havn't ate breakfast in years. That must be what is keeping me from getting ripped....

HAH! I have a granola bar (90 caloires) usually around 9am. That is about it till lunch!
  • gsodano23
    Options
    thats so odd, for those of you that are saying breakfast dosnt mean anything. i never used to eat breakfast because 1. eating that early in the day (for me, it was around 7am) would make me terribly sick, everytime i tried it, & 2. i was never hungry in the morning anyway. i was like that my whole life up until maybe a year or 2 years ago & now i atleast eat something small.

& now that i think about it, i dont think much has changed about my body from not eating breakfast to eating breakfast besides the fact that i generally eat less throughout the day.

so maybe it dosnt matter, & but my post was just about the caloric intake, not if breakfast is important or not... but i did say "the most important meal of the day" somewhat sarcastically